Lost route. Can’t bump

rod

Retired 22 years
If you have/had any seniority at all, why would you stay on a heavy route like that?
We had a guy work his whole 30 years on the local downtown/industrial park route. The heaviest-worst route in the center. A couple of times he bid on a rural route but would get lost the second he left the city limits and back to his old route he would go. He's 15 years younger than me and walks like he's a hundred years old now.

Boston25

NE supplement
7 years FT

I lost my route due to management changing it from a Saturday route to a Monday route. Route was taken by a very high seniority driver. I Was told my BA said I can not take a junior drivers bid and must be a cover driver until I win a posted bid. There are no bids in the foreseeable future. I was also told there is no language in the contract stating that I can take over another bid, and the union “didn’t see this being an issue”. There are probably 15 routes with people lower in seniority that I’d be willing to take, but it looks like I’m forced into this position because of a schedule change. If I was notified of this change I would have had an opportunity to bid other routes. Is this normal? I can’t seem to get a straight answer from multiple union reps.

Thank you for any input.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to bump another driver off another route?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We had a guy work his whole 30 years on the local downtown/industrial park route. The heaviest-worst route in the center. A couple of times he bid on a rural route but would get lost the second he left the city limits and back to his old route he would go. He's 15 years younger than me and walks like he's a hundred years old now.

We had guys who were scared to death of even being trained to cover a rural route.

Unbelievable.

JustDeliverIt

Agreed. That makes no sense at all.

Management is using the change from a T-S route going to a M-friend route to rebid it. They did that here when they switched a few routes back after Saturdays bombed.

My question would be, who bid the higher seniority drivers route that he came off of? Why can't the OP take that one?

KoennenTiger

Ah so you mean my route. You know that's why I got it after only three years cover. All the other guys laughed and asked me why I wanted such a :censored2: route.

Then last year they relooped everyone and after a month of total * UPS my route is sweeeeeet.

And yeah OP two fifteen year guys lost their routes during the reloop. They had to bid on new routes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poop Head

Judge me.
Ah so you mean my route. You know that's why I got it after only three years cover. All the other guys laughed and asked me why I wanted such a :censored2: route.

Then last year they relooped everyone and after a month of total :censored2: UPS my route is sweeeeeet.

And yeah OP two fifteen year guys lost their routes during the reloop. They had to bid on new routes.
They seriously re-looped your center/building?

KoennenTiger

They seriously re-looped your center/building?

Yep. Some group from corporate. The day after the reloop they for some reason put me in a P8 (not my 12) and tried to load 550 pieces on me. I was so :censored2: pissed off, I had repeatedly told mngmt this was not possible. I sheeted 50 packages missed. I also ran ODO. They flipped out and started hinting that they would try to fire me.

Oh also someone resheeted all my misses as delivered. Weird lol.

Then they fixed my route. But my gosh the center manager about had a meltdown screaming in my face about how useless I was.

Dude you gave me two routes to do, almost all business, and I repeatedly told you that it was impossible...

It worked out pretty good a sup came out with me for a few days and asked me what I "needed" to change so I could run the route. Well hmm these pickups suck so I can't do those... These bulk stops suck so I can't do those either... But you know you could give me those sweet resis over there I can't miss them.

542thruNthru

Is there language for that?

This is all I could find.
Screenshot_20190606-194914_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The hang up might be where his seniority falls among the other drivers in his loop. That’s what your options are here, outside of the following your work (50.1%) part.

If he’s the lowest seniority then he’s got nowhere to bump.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yep. Some group from corporate. The day after the reloop they for some reason put me in a P8 (not my 12) and tried to load 550 pieces on me. I was so :censored2: pissed off, I had repeatedly told mngmt this was not possible. I sheeted 50 packages missed. I also ran ODO. They flipped out and started hinting that they would try to fire me.

Oh also someone resheeted all my misses as delivered. Weird lol.

Then they fixed my route. But my gosh the center manager about had a meltdown screaming in my face about how useless I was.

Dude you gave me two routes to do, almost all business, and I repeatedly told you that it was impossible...

It worked out pretty good a sup came out with me for a few days and asked me what I "needed" to change so I could run the route. Well hmm these pickups suck so I can't do those... These bulk stops suck so I can't do those either... But you know you could give me those sweet resis over there I can't miss them.

Never let a supervisor yell at you. Especially in your face. Whether it’s a part time hub sup or a district manager.

And for a center manager to accuse a driver of being useless is nothing shy of the pot calling the kettle black. In fact, center managers are about as worthless as they come. It’s ironic corporate is cutting toilet paper and not center managers. Because the latter is what they truly wipe their asses with. Don’t believe me? Listen in on a conference call sometime.

KoennenTiger

Never let a supervisor yell at you. Especially in your face. Whether it’s a part time hub sup or a district manager.

And for a center manager to accuse a driver of being useless is nothing shy of the pot calling the kettle black. In fact, center managers are about as worthless as they come. It’s ironic corporate is cutting toilet paper and not center managers. Because the latter is what they truly wipe their asses with. Don’t believe me? Listen in on a conference call sometime.

He told me I should thank him that I'm not losing my job.

Wow.

I laughed and said fire me. I'll be back in a week.

It was a contentious time he was a new center mngner. He didn't know what was happening. He still believed. We cool now. I'll cover his behind, while I cover mine. And still wonder, why he gave up his union protection for the whore who divorced him anyway. Who wanted more money. Right. Now.

Eh it's all good. The work gets done bro, safety, service, and the other bit as well. And life goes on

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
We had guys who were scared to death of even being trained to cover a rural route.

Unbelievable.
Sucks for them, old man routes are the sh**. I got called up in a group of 7 guys, we all passed within a couple weeks of each other. None of them wanted to learn "slow stuff." I feel like a genius for having the balls to ask to learn the stuff out in the woods; because now that it's vacation season all my buddies I passed with are getting slammed and whining about their knees and I'm having the time of my life with 80 stops 150+ miles. Yeah it sucks going out blind in the woods in the dark but you just man up and get through the first couple days and learn it just like any other route. It's gonna be a good summer!!!!

Rack em

Made the Podium
Sucks for them, old man routes are the sh**. I got called up in a group of 7 guys, we all passed within a couple weeks of each other. None of them wanted to learn "slow stuff." I feel like a genius for having the balls to ask to learn the stuff out in the woods; because now that it's vacation season all my buddies I passed with are getting slammed and whining about their knees and I'm having the time of my life with 80 stops 150+ miles. Yeah it sucks going out blind in the woods in the dark but you just man up and get through the first couple days and learn it just like any other route. It's gonna be a good summer!!!!
80 and 150?! The closest route we have to that would do 80 and 350 miles.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
80 and 150?! The closest route we have to that would do 80 and 350 miles.
I've done 80 190 before which is like an 8-9 hour day, it all depends on the air because the particular loop I know well is on the edge of the centers entire area, yet still has a noon time commit. So some days are smooth as butter and you can get 110 stops done in 130-140. But if you get 10+ air...you will pinball all morning and the mileage will go way up; since its all veterans out there they get hooked up by dispatch and when the air gets crazy like that the miles skyrocket and the stops drop.

KoennenTiger

Rural still exists for you? I pull 32 miles a day
Replace the miles driving with fifty fifty pound boxes of Chinese created cast iron pans. I'll pick them up and put them down the new bank.

2500 pounds. Of cast-iron pans. Every day.

I'm glad we're winning. The boxes of cast iron pounds stay here. My kids can look at those boxes and say, they're here we shipped them over from Chinese slaves (wer not racist), plus if those slaves keep trying to end their use early well? Circus nets. You can't even jump. Every time I pick up one box of camping pans I dream of the boomer who sold our company as they sold their kids.

Should we unionize be unionized? Well hoffa Jr needs his pool. Capitalists need labor. Somebody needs to carry that 150 pound mattress to that apartment door. Climate change means I can't care that now fifteen hundred competitors are here, to work and make that gdp go up!

How many men died so we could unionize? Well I dunno bro stop asking me confusing questions. I'm rolling a joint. I'm about to eat this pill. My kids are going to moms house. I'm a winner.

CentralSup

Rural still exists for you? I pull 32 miles a day
Replace the miles driving with fifty fifty pound boxes of Chinese created cast iron pans. I'll pick them up and put them down the new bank.

2500 pounds. Of cast-iron pans. Every day.

I'm glad we're winning. The boxes of cast iron pounds stay here. My kids can look at those boxes and say, they're here we shipped them over from Chinese slaves (wer not racist), plus if those slaves keep trying to end their use early well? Circus nets. You can't even jump. Every time I pick up one box of camping pans I dream of the boomer who sold our company as they sold their kids.

Should we unionize be unionized? Well hoffa Jr needs his pool. Capitalists need labor. Somebody needs to carry that 150 pound mattress to that apartment door. Climate change means I can't care that now fifteen hundred competitors are here, to work and make that gdp go up!

How many men died so we could unionize? Well I dunno bro stop asking me confusing questions. I'm rolling a joint. I'm about to eat this pill. My kids are going to moms house. I'm a winner.

Go to bed.

BPG17

Management is using the change from a T-S route going to a M-friend route to rebid it. They did that here when they switched a few routes back after Saturdays bombed.

My question would be, who bid the higher seniority drivers route that he came off of? Why can't the OP take that one?
Someone higher up then me. So basically I’m stuck in a revolving door where I have junior guys with M-friend routes I’d be willing to take, and senior guys grabbing the routes people moved off of. It’s just amazing to me that my only resort is unassigned cover, or wait for a route that goes up. All because of a shift change. Not because the route was actually cut out. In that case, I’d be able to move over without a problem. With our bids another 8 months out, I’m just trying to stay positive. I know it’s just a change of pace, but I like the stability and knowing my own area. It seems bizarre that they could change the top guys route and he would be left with either winning the bid and go into Saturdays or have to be a cover driver until another bid goes up. Thats why this situation is suspicious to me. And with my union representatives basically telling me to kick sand, it makes me wonder if they really deserve the extra dues they decided we needed to pay last year.

Furthermore, my vacations were picked and planned months ago on the T-S work week. I’m waiting for the call saying I’ll have to adjust my flights hotels because they decided to change things up.

Boston25

If the route was Tuesday to Saturday it would be reposted to bid. And who ever took that route should have their job posted for bid so @BPG17 should be allowed to bid that route.