LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
What's the point of having any type of seniority if it doesn't matter.

@govols019 , i'm not sure exactly what you mean. Clarify please.
How does it not matter? It's called job seniority. It's how we do it here. They sign the bid, if they get it they go to the bottom of the list. Pretty simple. If someone had the opportunity to go into feeders then they should have gone. The excuse is they don't want to work nights, every time. Well if they don't want to work nights then just stay in package. Sorry but someone isn't going to potentially screw over my paycheck because they couldn't man up.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What's the point of having any type of seniority if it doesn't matter.

Seniority is all we have.

In most Locals, it prevails when changing job classifications.

It's how we do it here. They sign the bid, if they get it they go to the bottom of the list. Pretty simple.

In the Central Region, Indy is the only Local (I can remember) that does that.

The excuse is they don't want to work nights, every time. Well if they don't want to work nights then just stay in package. Sorry but someone isn't going to potentially screw over my paycheck because they couldn't man up.

I understand the sentiment....

But, thats painting everyone with a broad brush.

It's (more of) a temperamental issue in feeders.

Especially, when drivers from other Locals meet. ;)

-Bug-

Cementups

Box Monkey
How does it not matter? It's called job seniority. It's how we do it here. They sign the bid, if they get it they go to the bottom of the list. Pretty simple. If someone had the opportunity to go into feeders then they should have gone. The excuse is they don't want to work nights, every time. Well if they don't want to work nights then just stay in package. Sorry but someone isn't going to potentially screw over my paycheck because they couldn't man up.

Not sure how they would screw over your paycheck, you would still work excess hours.

hypothetical: so you're saying that if you are a brand new 30 day employee and sign the list to go to feeders and then a year later, myself a 22 year employee, signs the list to go to feeders that you should be ahead of me in seniority just because you made the decision to go to feeders before I did?!?!

That's not how it works here. For instance, if I were to sign the list today and qualified I would fall into about 80th in seniority of over 220 feeder drivers. Full time seniority reigns in our building, no matte what classification you bid into. @UPS4Life works in my building and can tell you himself. He's a much lower seniority guy than myself and most of those younger drivers don't care. The only ones that really get pissed about it is if a top seniority package car guy comes out and slips into one of the top 10 spots and gets a prime route. But that's the way it is and they get over it.

And your only argument about package car drivers not coming out to feeders is that they don't want to work nights but that's not always the case. I see PC guys go to feeders and then come back to PC and when I asked them why they came back the number one answer is that it's too boring. Not one of them ever mentions working nights. And it's my biggest worry about going to feeders. I'm a people person so PC is great for me. Feeders is a solo mission. the only thing that would keep me occupied is having my tunes with me all day.

By The Book

So I guess what your position is on feeder seniority is you are put on the bottom of the classification when you enter feeders. You then work within feeders and your seniority is honored like it is in package. Days off, sick days, vacations etc.? So now by using this seniority system in feeders the junior employees could pick all these fringe benefits before the senior employees. I think the system in place is more fair than a system that locks people out if they don't take the job now.

My question to the OP is: How is the system not fair? One knows the rules going in.

If not fair, what system would you have in place?
What are you going to say if this changes because more members want it too. Then it's going to be a rule then!

Last edited:
Please elaborate for us. What rules are you decrying, and what changes do you proposed?
(a) When a full time employee transfers in or out of his or her classification, he or she shall carry their full-time company seniority for all purposes; including,
1. Job preferences (bidding) 2. (6) & (7) days of work
3. Layoff
4. Vacation selection (b) Any full time employee that has transferred in or out of any classification that did not carry over their seniority covered under (a) above will reacquire their company seniority. No thing else should change.

Man up? A guy or woman who puts in 20 plus years in package driving p800 that destroyed their bodies already manned or womaned up. Seniority is there to help you finish the career you started years ago.

Inthegame

The only "fair" way to change any existing local seniority system is to do it effective the date the last person on the current seniority list retires. Any change mid term has a broken promise attached.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
When I transferred from one building to another I had to dovetail to the bottom of the seniority list for bidding, which I am fine with. I still get to keep my start date for picking vacations, which is what I really care about

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I am a driver, so there really is no issues with overtime, and I do not request personal days, but I assume personal days falls in the same category as company seniority over center seniority

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When I transferred from one building to another I had to dovetail to the bottom of the seniority list for bidding, which I am fine with. I still get to keep my start date for picking vacations, which is what I really care about

I am a driver, so there really is no issues with overtime, and I do not request personal days, but I assume personal days falls in the same category as company seniority over center seniority

That's a good example of how things can vary between Locals.

In my Local, you can bid between buildings and dovetail in with full seniority.

With a layoff situation you can bump anywhere within the Locals jurisdiction.

Our Local Rider has provisions, no one else in the country has.

-Bug-

What about overtime and personal days off?
What about overtime and personal days off?
The only "fair" way to change any existing local seniority system is to do it effective the date the last person on the current seniority list retires. Any change mid term has a broken promise attached.
Thats what they did in the 70s when they changed it from a one list to a two list system. If you transferred into a classification before the change you were not grandfathered in when it did. You had to use your transfer date for classification seniority. What made the deal go threw they offered package car drivers the chance bid on a job and if it got it, you are married to it until you vacate. No one can bump you off it. So then it was a done deal!

Faceplanted

IMHO, all part time employees should have a seniority list no matter position

All full time employees should have their own seniority list no matter

When I was a cover driver (pt classification) there were a few times that guys in the hub for 10 years wanted to now he cover drivers, guess what I didn't cry about it like a lot of the feeder guys do in diff supplements. If you respect the union and union ideology everything is seniority based, you can't be pro Union and not treat all full time employees the same