Lucky to work for UPS

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
As I delivered a package to a business yesterday, a gentleman in the office said "You're lucky to work for UPS" I said "I'm lucky?" He said yes, "Good pay and benefits" I said "Well we work hard for it"

What I was thinking during this conversation was: " Lucky? No, not really, I EARNED it, I have worked my a** off, only through my hard, work, perseverance and determination do I work for UPS"

G

Get the big picture

When someone says to me I'm lucky to work for UPS I smile and tell them they can fill out an application online at home in your boxers ....if you like!

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
People are clueless. I swear they think we ride around all day, with a few boxes that get delivered whenever we feel like it. Lucky? I'd be "lucky" to win the Powerball on Wednesday...

LKLND3380

As I delivered a package to a business yesterday, a gentleman in the office said "You're lucky to work for UPS" I said "I'm lucky?" He said yes, "Good pay and benefits" I said "Well we work hard for it"

What I was thinking during this conversation was: " Lucky? No, not really, I EARNED it, I have worked my a** off, only through my hard, work, perseverance and determination do I work for UPS"

The see the glory being a driver but don't know what you had to go through (preload) to get there...

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
People are clueless. I swear they think we ride around all day, with a few boxes that get delivered whenever we feel like it. Lucky? I'd be "lucky" to win the Powerball on Wednesday...
Yeah,we ride around all day with the doors open in a truck with a sun roof(remember those commercials.).People used to jump into the cab looking for the sunroof.

john346

No more Brown!
I always say to customers on nice sunny days when they say "You are so lucky to be out there in that." I'll remind you that next January & you can repeat it to me again, ok?

feeder53

ADKtrails
I knew before I joined the team that it was tough, but evreywhere I go that pays well and is union, is about the same. I do not let peoples opinion bother me and if they correct me, I say thank you for your input and improve. People do not know or care about what we do that they do not see, nor should they as we do not see the pitfalls of their employment. I do feel good about being chosen to work for UPS and will continue to do my best.

HazMatMan

Are you kidding? Preload is a walk in the freakin pansies compared to delivering
How do you figure?? How many packages do you touch in one hour?? A preloader can touch hundreds and hundreds upon hundreds of packages in one hour..Although I agree both jobs are hard, I can't see someone saying preload is a walk in the freakin pansies..What's the old saying?? Walk a mile in my shoes. Remember what I said, BOTH jobs are hard.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
i want 2 drive the truck in your AV, bet my knees would be very thankful :happy-very:

ha...i took that picture on a Saturday about a year and a half ago. We had recently got that new design in at our building. i wish that was my car...but i just figured since i was finished with my saturday route i would go get some pictures in the nice one!

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
i consider myself very lucky to work at ups. yeah...the job can be stressful and hard sometimes- but i was lucky to get hired in the first place. i've been terminated once for not completing the route i was on. brought back about 20 stops without attempting a valid delivery because i was having some personal problems with my family. my center manager and the union helped me get my job back after one week.
after all that happened- i can honestly say that i feel lucky to have my job and i've been doing it way too long to get another job and start over somewhere else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whenever I have someone say that to me I simply agree with them and go on about my way. I know that I make more money and have better benefits than 80-90% of my customers so, in that regard, I do feel lucky.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Whenever I have someone say that to me I simply agree with them and go on about my way. I know that I make more money and have better benefits than 80-90% of my customers so, in that regard, I do feel lucky.
Truer words were never said. But betweenst us, we have earned the right to grumble.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What... For every package ONE driver delivers, ONE preloader loaded on that car along with TWO additional cars in under 5:00 hours. The preloader did it with a TEN minute break and for half the driver pay or less...:wink2:
True, but the packages come down a belt 3 feet from the truck. Many of ours are walked down a 1/4 mile driveway, carted up to the 3rd floor, lugged through the snow, etc. Both jobs are difficult in their unique way. My loader started before me, 20 years ago. He must make close to what I do an hour.

browniehound

People are clueless, Santa. Especially the ones that ask "do you have any extra boxes in your truck?" LOL. I also was asked by a woman on the 3rd floor of an office building If I would go down to her car and bring up a box to the office for her? She claimed it was too heavy and she didn't have a dollie. I laughed to myself and politely told her I couldn't. If I was there on my time, I probably would have done it for her. I wasn't going to do it when I get home at 8 and she's watching Oprah at 4.