Lunch as a dispatch tool

billerz

I'm a full time driver fresh off of qualification. My first route that they stick me on is a route that has been messed up by a lunch skipper. I've been told that my lunch is the best dispatch tool but I'm pressured not to use it myself. I've been on the route a week now and I've taken at least 30 min each day. I'm tired of giving this company money. How can I use my lunch so that I don't get killed in dispatch. Just an idea of my route: a large college, 30 businesses, twelve apartments and multiple residential areas each day.
Please no trolls.
I would either take your lunch after your businesses or before you start pickups. The advice people are giving is correct, it really is as simple as just taking your full lunch. If your out late you send a late eta, meet someone, and come in when you come in. It may take a week or two for them to change the dispatch, if it all. You may just have to rack up some overtime and file if you can.

OptimusPrime

Lunch is optional here. Gotta say I prefer it that way. Sending us out with 10 hours of work I'd much rather be home at 7:15 versus 8:15. Though I can't fathom guys working unpaid. Would never do that.

Tough Guy

They're cracking down with discipline here.
Not taking full meal=warning letter

Friend of mine drives in Cali, says the board locks them out for 30 minutes
I gotta say I'm surprised to hear that. I thought that most sups and mgmt would encourage you to work through it to make better times.

Tough Guy

I've been known to skip some lunch but I would say I'm the opposite of most lunch skippers. If I have a decent day I'll only take a 20-30 min lunch to get home earlier.

Load me up and I'm taking the full break so you're waiting on my pick up pieces til 10 pm.
You and I are very like-minded in this regard. Though sadly the "decent" days are few and far between anymore.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch
Yeah-if-you-s3k9my.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I gotta say I'm surprised to hear that. I thought that most sups and mgmt would encourage you to work through it to make better times.
You may get done earlier. But guys are more productive after they take a lunch. Gives an opportunity to recharge and clear your head which also means less mistakes. Some sups just want it done and don't see the benefit. I like to see it done the right way.

Here if guys don't want to take a full lunch we offer a waiver where they can take their 20 min paid break and 10 mins of lunch. Gives you a 30 minute recharge and you're good to go. Some guys love it, others don't. Either way the lunch and break are there for you. Take advantage of it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Union should push the company to turn off the board for 30 minutes a day at drivers preferred time....screw working through lunch or not getting one because your afraid you won't get done...let the company adjust the dispatches..then if you want get on the 9.5 list...

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I'm curious, in areas outside of California does the DIAD lock you out from working when you punch out for lunch? Here in NorCal it locks you out for 30 minutes with the message 'No work is to be completed at this time. Local laws require you to take meal'. There's a way around that message though, but only to look at stops remaining. You can input the time you took lunch AFTER you complete lunch (no stops or pickups completed in the past 30 minutes). If you try to imput lunch and you've completed stops it will say 'meal must be started after last stop completed'. Is it like that everywhere else?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Union should push the company to turn off the board for 30 minutes a day at drivers preferred time....screw working through lunch or not getting one because your afraid you won't get done...let the company adjust the dispatches..then if you want get on the 9.5 list...
What the union should do is get everyone paid lunches. Sure I'd take a full lunch everyday, if they paid me for that time away from my family.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No, what the union should do is get everyone paid lunches. Sure I'd take a full lunch everyday, if they paid me for that time away from my family.
You get a lunch everyday... The extra time away from your family is on ups.... They are the ones who want 10 hours of work done magically in 8.5....why do you think everybody's allowance has gone down the shiiiter the last few years....and people say there is no manipulation going on... Please

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You get a lunch everyday... The extra time away from your family is on ups.... They are the ones who want 10 hours of work done magically in 8.5....why do you think everybody's allowance has gone down the shiiiter the last few years....and people say there is no manipulation going on... Please
I get an unpaid lunch everyday if I want it. We have zero paid breaks. If I'm gonna be away from my family I'm going to be getting paid for it.