Lunch PCM

BSUUPS

rushfan - i figured you'd change your name after my super slueth skills discovered you--Hope all is well -- you are one that (not the only) i miss in my old center - hows feeder??

rushfan

Well I havn't driven for a month in feeders, which helped me get back into shape. Can't wait for the summer vacation schedule, I'll be in feeders (air conditioning) 'till the end of the summer. I'll never change my name. I have to watch my posts though. New album being released May 1. RUSH - Official Website New tour this summer-Closest stops are SLC, Portland, Seattle-even Calgary. No time to go-Family, Gas prices, and just plain getting old.
CU at the "other" center.

Last edited:

Raw

Raw Member
We have a group of guys in our one center that meet up everyday at 2pm for lunch. During regular deliver season there may be 4-5 of them but during peak it has been know that there were up to 12 guys meet up at one time. A lady I used to deliver to used to be a center manager in VA and questioned me about it. Her biggest concern was that there was no way that all of those drivers were close enough to ther actual areas to find it plausible for them all to meet there.
About 15 years ago around 6 of us drivers would meet at McDonalds on the way in at the end of the day for lunch and had the district manager come in one day and say that only 2 drivers are allowed to take lunch together! If I remember right I think we ignored that ! :cool:

browniehound

This no lunch thing is crazy. I get out of my truck and eat my lunch and read my newspaper for my entire one hour lunch period. And I take my 10 minute break everyday. This is your time and you are entitled to it. If you don't take it, then you are jus t giving your time and money to UPS.

The entire lunch subject has been a shady "racket" practiced by the company for a long time now. Why else would they automatically dock us an hour every day? They do it because they know many drivers will work through their lunch for various reasons. Can you imagine the free labor UPS has recieved from drivers over the years skipping lunch? Its at least tens of millions of dollars, if not hundreds or maybe more!

The reasons run the gammet from drivers doing it everyday to the driver that does it occasionally to make to a dentist appointment a 7:00 PM:anxious:

I think its a ridiculous concept. If you don't want to take it, you shouldn't be forced to. And if you chose not to take it, you should be paid for your hours worked.

Here in Boston we get 1 hour docked for lunch and 2 10 minute paid breaks. This is just way too much time in my opinion. We work 9 hours everyday, why do we have to be forced to spend another hour with the company and not get paid?

Cement says he gets out of his truck for an hour to eat and read the paper and then takes a 10 minute break because its "my time and I'm entitled to it"

Sorry Cement, I can think of better things to do with my time then sit in a parking lot when it 20 degrees out reading the paper. So its not "our time", its really the company's.

Yes, under the current rules I must do this now. The average high temperature in January here is around 35 degrees. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be sitting around eating and reading the paper for an hour in those conditions. Why would you?

We should be allowed to take what we want for lunch. The time each individual driver takes should be deducted from his pay.

I want an anwser. Why doesent UPS do this?

Our hours are long enough, why does UPS force us to add 1:20 on top of the already long day?

pkg-king

The entire lunch subject has been a shady "racket" practiced by the company for a long time now. Why else would they automatically dock us an hour every day? They do it because they know many drivers will work through their lunch for various reasons. Can you imagine the free labor UPS has recieved from drivers over the years skipping lunch? Its at least tens of millions of dollars, if not hundreds or maybe more!

The reasons run the gammet from drivers doing it everyday to the driver that does it occasionally to make to a dentist appointment a 7:00 PM:anxious:

I think its a ridiculous concept. If you don't want to take it, you shouldn't be forced to. And if you chose not to take it, you should be paid for your hours worked.

Here in Boston we get 1 hour docked for lunch and 2 10 minute paid breaks. This is just way too much time in my opinion. We work 9 hours everyday, why do we have to be forced to spend another hour with the company and not get paid?

Cement says he gets out of his truck for an hour to eat and read the paper and then takes a 10 minute break because its "my time and I'm entitled to it"

Sorry Cement, I can think of better things to do with my time then sit in a parking lot when it 20 degrees out reading the paper. So its not "our time", its really the company's.

Yes, under the current rules I must do this now. The average high temperature in January here is around 35 degrees. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be sitting around eating and reading the paper for an hour in those conditions. Why would you?

We should be allowed to take what we want for lunch. The time each individual driver takes should be deducted from his pay.

Our hours are long enough, why does UPS force us to add 1:20 on top of the already long day?

As far as lunch goes, we are told to put in what we take, whether it be anything between 25 min and an hour.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Same Here, we can take as little as 20 min and/or 50 min. Plus we get a 10 min paid brake. Except on my 8 hr req day when it would disrupt pickups- then I'm forced to take the full 50 min lunch. Until last year, it was always 1 hour subtracted from total hours worked every day whether you took your lunch or not. It takes me about 10 hours to finish what they say is a 9 hour dispatch. I like the option of only having to take 20 min for lunch, thats 40 min sooner I get home. I can eat my lunch and read the paper and be done in 20 min

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I usually just stop at home for an hour before I go back to the building to punch out. I can eat my lunch while I'm driving. Guess I'm lucky to live in close proximity to my hub.

local804

New York is one of just 11 U.S. states that require a meal period on each shift, but not shorter breaks under the New York lunch and break laws. A number of statutes cover required meal periods in New York. Factory workers, for example, are covered under a separate law requiring a daily 1-hour “noon-day” meal period. This meal period may be unpaid, but the employee must be relieved of all work duties. For those employed on a factory shift of 6 hours or longer, starting between 1 pm and 6 am, a 1-hour unpaid meal break must be given midway through the shift. Factory meal periods may be shorter only if written permission is obtained from the Labor Commissioner.

For all other establishments and occupations covered by state labor law, a 30-minute unpaid meal period must be provided for each employee who works more than 6 hours, if the shift extends over the noonday meal period. An additional 20-minute meal break between 5 pm and 7 pm is required for all industries and occupations on any shift starting before 11 am and extending after 7 pm. For employees in all industries who work a shift of 6 or more hours beginning between 1 pm and 6 am, a 45-minute meal period must be given midway in the shift. The meal period for each statute may be shorter, only with written permission from the Labor Commissioner.

The New York lunch and meal break laws are more extensive than nearly any other state, yet they address only meal periods. Although 8 states have statutes or policies requiring shorter rest breaks during the day as well as a meal break, New York does not. There is no provision under the New York law for employees to take smoke breaks, coffee breaks or shorter rest breaks. Instead, along with Minnesota, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Tennessee, West Virginia, Connecticut and Delaware, New York mandates a meal period only.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Absolutely right. The last thing ANYONE wants to do is spend more time in browns than they have to. I'll take a 20 min break (2 10's wrapped into one) and the hour at home relaxing or running errands at 7:30 instead of 8:30pm.

It's not hard to do nor hard to understand. In our center if every driver would take their one hour lunch, on area, before the 8th hour, the company would have to add at least 10% more drivers to prevent missed service and over 9.5 grievances. That is why most of the time there are variances in how the contractual lunch hour is taken without the company pushing for us to do it by the book. Our skipping our full meal breaks works to the company's advantage, not ours.