Maintenence mechanic?

Tired Student

Typing this on mobile, sorry for any spelling or formatting issues.
I recently got my welding certificate and while looking up welding jobs, and I saw maintenance mechanic at ups job posting and I was wondering what I need to know to be considered for that job?
Who should I ask or call to ask about the job? I have no electrical experience but I'm more than happy to learn.
I've been a package handler for 3 years now and the job listing is for a different hub.

El Correcto

god is dead
I recently got my welding certificate and while looking up welding jobs, and I saw maintenance mechanic at ups job posting and I was wondering what I need to know to be considered for that job?
Who should I ask or call to ask about the job? I have no electrical experience but I'm more than happy to learn.
I've been a package handler for 3 years now and the job listing is for a different hub.
You need a bad attitude, maybe some experience killing people in nam, schizophrenic face movements, talk to yourself and drive around the yard on an irreg cart that’s blue chain smoking cigarettes.

Also bitch at the part timers anytime something breaks and you have to work instead of chain smoking cigarettes on your stupid blue cart.

rod

Retired 22 years
You will need some wire coat hangers, a roll of duct tape and a can of WD 40--- then you can fix anything

Tired Student

You need a bad attitude, maybe some experience killing people in nam, schizophrenic face movements, talk to yourself and drive around the yard on an irreg cart that’s blue chain smoking cigarettes.

Also bitch at the part timers anytime something breaks and you have to work instead of chain smoking cigarettes on your stupid blue cart.
I got asthma, so chain smoking is out, I can eat massive amounts of twinkies instead?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
.., I can eat massive amounts of twinkies instead?

g5PmND.gif

Integrity

Binge Poster
I recommend you talk with HR.

Ask them for the qualifications for Maintenance Mechanic job?

Let me know what they say.

Also check your supplement language about the possibility of transferring into this job.

I know some locals provide language for this in the contract.

PM if you want to avoid the BC noise.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Anyone got a serious response or just wanna complain about the mechanics that also hate their job

Do a search.

I remember reading a thread a while back about a PE mechanic saying nobody could pass the test in his building.

BTW... We have a Hobart 140 sitting in the PE storage area that has never been used.

You won't be needing those welding skills, but you're welcome to teach me a few things.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Do you have a high tolerance for stupidity?

I am not a PE mechanic but if it’s anything like automotive then you will spend a lot of time trying to fix stupid.

Fenris

A number of Mechanics started off as Millwrights. You will need to have mechanical and electrical knowledge. You can get through the test being strong in one area with only basic knowledge in the other, but you do have to have the basics of both.

You need to apply at the UPS jobs site. HR will set you up to take an online test based on basic mechanical and electrical questions. If you pass, you would be scheduled for a hands on test. If you fail the test, you can retake after a short period.

Assuming you get through with only basic electrical, you would start in progression and receive UPS specific training.

Determination in the process is probably as important as knowledge.

The dark side

At my hub they got with the local college and made a plant engineer program.

Elt 101

Industrial controls and advanced industrial controls

Intro to PLC’s, although the mechanics don’t do PLC’s anymore PSG and TSG handle that.

That’s it for electricity classes

As it goes for mechanic systems

Introduction to mechanic systems
Advanced mechanic systems

Machinery set up and moving parts
Some bogus class they added this year.

Fluid power 1and2

It used to be hydraulics and pneumatics.

They renamed it and made it once course

And welding 1 and 2

I’ve become friends with one of the senior mechanic he said it’s better to be good at electricity because less and less people are good at it. Luckily I suck at it. I’ve over heard people say you don’t need the classes just gotta know your stuff. But I doubt UPS would higher someone withought the certs.