Major East Coast Blizzard

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Currently winds at 40mph with gusts to 65mph . Wind chills in the minus range .
Another foot coming on Monday with the lows at zero most of the week .
My it's going to be a nasty week .

JL 0513

Yeah, if we get what they're saying, come Monday we'll have 3+ feet on the ground. The snow piles from plows and shoveling are already 5'+ along the sides of streets and now we may see a foot and half of fresh snow added. Where are we going to put it? The cities have no room left.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, if we get what they're saying, come Monday we'll have 3+ feet on the ground. The snow piles from plows and shoveling are already 5'+ along the sides of streets and now we may see a foot and half of fresh snow added. Where are we going to put it? The cities have no room left.
Being a Southerner (by the grace of God) I don't know.
At some point, do they load the snow in dump trucks and dump in the river or out in the ocean?
When it melts, I assume it can cause localized flooding where it ponds.

JL 0513

At some point, do they load the snow in dump trucks and dump in the river or out in the ocean?

Yes, in cities, they do have to truck it out. Costs cities millions of dollars just to deal with this snow. A major economic advantage for the south.

Delivering is real fun. Park in the middle of the street as traffic starts to build up behind you. Not a single place to pull over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, they load the snow in dump trucks and bring it to a central location, usually a vacant parking lot. They try not to dump it directly in to body of water due to the road salt and other impurities.

Melting snow becomes an issue when the storm drains are still clogged and the water has no place to go.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, they load the snow in dump trucks and bring it to a central location, usually a vacant parking lot. They try not to dump it directly in to body of water due to the road salt and other impurities.

Melting snow becomes an issue when the storm drains are still clogged and the water has no place to go.
Is the runoff from the parking lot and eventually the storm drains channeled to a wastewater treatment facility?

PT Car Washer

The snow from our downtown area is dumped along the river bank. Guess we don't worry about impurities. Residential areas will sit there until it melts. Of course we measure our snowfall in inches and not feet. Suppose to get 3" to 5" overnight and tomorrow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is the runoff from the parking lot and eventually the storm drains channeled to a wastewater treatment facility?

Yes, whenever possible; however, it is not fool proof and impurities do make it back in to the water.

There is a shopping plaza near my home where they pile all of the snow in an out-of-the way part of the parking lot. There have been years that the pile had not fully melted by late April.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Dave's description is in a perfect world.

Here, the snow is dumped on paved and unpaved lots just inside the flood-control dike. As it melts, salt, contaminants and all drain into a creek, then a river about a quarter mile later and eventually into the Chesapeake Bay. In addition to all the agricultural runoff.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dave's description is in a perfect world.

Here, the snow is dumped on paved and unpaved lots just inside the flood-control dike. As it melts, salt, contaminants and all drain into a creek, then a river about a quarter mile later and eventually into the
BOG?

I wondered as governments tend to be the worst offenders of EPA/Environmental laws and regulations.