majority of US public school students in poverty

rod

Retired 22 years
In our school district 2 out of 3 meals are subsidized. We don't have that many poor people. They have made it too easy to get on the gravy train.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

C8hZQ51W0AEoTpA.jpg
The whole college system needs torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. They're trying real hard lately to be not much more than quota-filling, SJW cesspools that want to rewrite history and exist only to give a few dipsh't tenured professors a job. I would love to see the day they are put out of business by online colleges with courses from actual professors.

rod

Retired 22 years
The whole college system needs torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. They're trying real hard lately to be not much more than quota-filling, SJW cesspools that want to rewrite history and exist only to give a few dipsh't tenured professors a job. I would love to see the day they are put out of business by online colleges with courses from actual professors.

It would be interesting to know how much money is wasted on getting a 4 year degree when a good percentage of students never work in the field they studied in. Either that or they got a worthless liberal arts degree. I know a women right now who is in her mid 40's who just the other day was crying about how much she still owed on her student loan. She's been a stay at home mother for 12 years now.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It would be interesting to know how much money is wasted on getting a 4 year degree when a good percentage of students never work in the field they studied in. Either that or they got a worthless liberal arts degree. I know a women right now who is in her mid 40's who just the other day was crying about how much she still owed on her student loan. She's been a stay at home mother for 12 years now.
See, now she shouldn't even have went to college in the first place.

It will be fine

Those MRS degrees are pricey these days.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Either that or they got a worthless liberal arts degree.
Liberal arts degrees aren't worthless, at least no more so than a business administration or computer science degree. Its a cliche talking point used by grumpy old people who haven't been in the educational system or job market in decades.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Liberal arts degrees aren't worthless, at least no more so than a business administration or computer science degree. Its a cliche talking point used by grumpy old people who haven't been in the educational system or job market in decades.
BS on that one DIDO.
I've seen too much of this.
A MBA prepares students for the business world.
The USA 1.4 million jobs open in computer programming jobs.
Unless you want to be a teacher or lawyer, these Liberal arts degrees are almost worthless.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
BS on that one DIDO.
I've seen too much of this.
A MBA prepares students for the business world.
The USA 1.4 million jobs open in computer programming jobs.
Unless you want to be a teacher or lawyer, these Liberal arts degrees are almost worthless.
I call bs on your statement that a degree prepares you for the world.

Almost worthless? Give me a break man, the numbers prove you wrong.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I call bs on your statement that a degree prepares you for the world.

Almost worthless? Give me a break man, the numbers prove you wrong.
The college degree gives you the foundation on which you can tailor yourself for a job in the business world.

I'm sorry you have not experienced that.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The college degree gives you the foundation on which you can tailor yourself for a job in the business world.

I sorry you have not experienced that.
To say a college degree is worthless is flat out wrong. I'm sorry you don't realize that.

Is the system that makes a degree necessary a complete scam, sure, but the numbers prove a liberal arts degree is not worthless in that system.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To say a college degree is worthless is flat out wrong. I'm sorry you don't realize that.

Is the system that makes a degree necessary a complete scam, sure, but the numbers prove a liberal arts degree is not worthless in that system.
Well, I'll let you be.
I question your understanding of the American business workplace though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I'll let you be.
I question your understanding of the word worthless.
I'll try another approach.
I don't want to fly in an airplane that was designed by someone without a Structural Engineering degree.
I don't want to be doctored by someone who did not get a Medical Doctorate.
You get the gist.

I can't think of any situation where I feel a need for an Arts, English, History or Philosophy degree being a prerequisite before that person completes a task/assignment/deliverable.

There are exceptions of course but probably the need is for 1% of the people who got degrees in this area.

I have had the unfortunate and extremely stressful experience of letting people go who were underprepared for the job.
There is just very little true need for Liberal Arts degrees.
Most people get degrees in these fields because they are much easier than STEM programs.

vantexan

I'll try another approach.
I don't want to fly in an airplane that was designed by someone without a Structural Engineering degree.
I don't want to be doctored by someone who did not get a Medical Doctorate.
You get the gist.

I can't think of any situation where I feel a need for an Arts, English, History or Philosophy degree being a prerequisite before that person completes a task/assignment/deliverable.

There are exceptions of course but probably the need is for 1% of the people who got degrees in this area.

I have had the unfortunate and extremely stressful experience of letting people go who were underprepared for the job.
There is just very little true need for Liberal Arts degrees.
Most people get degrees in these fields because they are much easier than STEM programs.
My nephew started out in an industrial design major which upon successful completion would've given him immediate well paid employment. Decided after a year it was too hard, and he had excellent high school grades and test scores leading to admittance to that course at Auburn, one of the top schools for industrial design. Now he's a communications major, having loads of fun. And competing against a lot of other communications majors for available jobs. This is why many jobs get filled by foreigners from countries like India, who have incredibly rigorous standards and students who take it very seriously.