majority of US public school students in poverty

moreluck

golden ticket member
In our school district 2 out of 3 meals are subsidized. We don't have that many poor people. They have made it too easy to get on the gravy train.
Some schools send home the meals over the weekend to tide them over....WTH?

moreluck

golden ticket member
To say a college degree is worthless is flat out wrong. I'm sorry you don't realize that.

Is the system that makes a degree necessary a complete scam, sure, but the numbers prove a liberal arts degree is not worthless in that system.
The world needs mechanics and plumbers and welders who could be doing an apprentice program instead of wasting their time in college when it's not needed for their goals.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you want to get a college degree with little chance of finding a job feel free to do so. Just don't expect someone else to pay for your student loans.

rickyb

education has been totally corporatized. education is NOT supposed to be about getting a good job, its supposed to teach critical thinking skills (something which seems to be sorely lacking on this forum considering those who love their indentured servitude, big government surveillance and empire, etc).

when my dad went to a tech institute for mech engineering, they had to watch and analyze the movie clockwork orange. when i went to same tech institute, it was geared solely towards whatever career i was doing.

the student debt system chains people to their debt and crushes their liberty because when you have to pay a debt you are more focused on paying it back and obeying orders instead of being free to choose. it also incentivizes people to do jobs which are high paying instead of non profits or whatever.

oldngray

nowhere special
education has been totally corporatized. education is NOT supposed to be about getting a good job, its supposed to teach critical thinking skills (something which seems to be sorely lacking on this forum considering those who love their indentured servitude, big government surveillance and empire, etc).

when my dad went to a tech institute for mech engineering, they had to watch and analyze the movie clockwork orange. when i went to same tech institute, it was geared solely towards whatever career i was doing.
True for high school. Not for college. "critical thinking skills" can be interpreted many ways. Ability to think is not the same as turning out more SJW's.

ME degree at a traditional 4 year university you probably would have classes like that Clockwork Orange one but not in a vocational school.

rickyb

True for high school. Not for college. "critical thinking skills" can be interpreted many ways. Ability to think is not the same as turning out more SJW's.

ME degree at a traditional 4 year university you probably would have classes like that Clockwork Orange one but not in a vocational school.
your country (and many countries) is in dire need of people who care about politics / economics and they should be teaching more of it at high school, and past high school. they should also teach basic things like caring about people, not being an :censored2:, not being a bully, being patient, etc which ive notice some grown men struggle with LOL.

rod

Retired 22 years
your country (and many countries) is in dire need of people who care about politics / economics and they should be teaching more of it at high school, and past high school. they should also teach basic things like caring about people, not being an :censored2:, not being a bully, being patient, etc which ive notice some grown men struggle with LOL.

They should also teach how to make change for a buck.

rickyb

They should also teach how to make change for a buck.
if we enter a cashless society (god help us) then that wont matter anyways.

btw people spending money pay down debts doesnt create jobs. there would be more jobs if people spend money instead on consumer goods.

Star B

White Lightening
they should also teach basic things like caring about people, not being an :censored2:, not being a bully, being patient, etc which ive notice some grown men struggle with LOL.
To hell with being nice, I'm making dollars off of making my fellow man miserable. That is what people look up to.

Star B

White Lightening
Hell no, but that is what society sees and wants. They want prosperity and the majority of people that they see with wealth are :censored2:s. Just ask the average American worker how they feel about the CEO they work for.

Another way of looking at it is this... you don't hear about MTVs "VoluenteerzzZ!!!"... nope, you hear about Cribs and all the over-the-top stuff thats paid with CA$$H MONEH by singing about 'pimping they hoz and poppin a cap in a copppahz azzz'

rickyb

Hell no, but that is what society sees and wants. They want prosperity and the majority of people that they see with wealth are :censored2:s. Just ask the average American worker how they feel about the CEO they work for.

Another way of looking at it is this... you don't hear about MTVs "VoluenteerzzZ!!!"... nope, you hear about Cribs and all the over-the-top stuff thats paid with CA$$H MONEH by singing about 'pimping they hoz and poppin a cap in a copppahz azzz'
i think thats what were told to want aka propaganda.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My nephew started out in an industrial design major which upon successful completion would've given him immediate well paid employment. Decided after a year it was too hard, and he had excellent high school grades and test scores leading to admittance to that course at Auburn, one of the top schools for industrial design. Now he's a communications major, having loads of fun. And competing against a lot of other communications majors for available jobs. This is why many jobs get filled by foreigners from countries like India, who have incredibly rigorous standards and students who take it very seriously.
An all to familiar story.

rod

Retired 22 years
if we enter a cashless society (god help us) then that wont matter anyways.

btw people spending money pay down debts doesnt create jobs. there would be more jobs if people spend money instead on consumer goods.

Cashless society? Is that going to be like the paperless society that was suppose to happen when computers started getting popular?