Make the Teamsters dangerous again

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Then you got old timers who refuse to help out new hires. Trickle down. Union stick together.
That's pretty true. Old timers treat the new hires like carp. I used to go to union meetings when I had just started and the turnout was pretty good. In later years It was lucky if 2-3 people turned up from my hub of about 800.

But not all the blame can go to hourlies. Our local doesnt make much of an effort.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I honestly think it just lack of care and being uniformed, especially the new hires as of lately. These guys don’t even know what the union is.
I have people in my building that have been there 4 years who have no clue either

Whither

Scofflaw
I have people in my building that have been there 4 years who have no clue either
What people forget: UPS should always be assumed to have the advantage. Whether people come here young or old, most are already well-trained to fear the employer, e.g., years of non-union jobs where you can be terminated on a whim, or else years of schooling and living in a culture which teaches us the economy rules all and everyone is just a replaceable cog in the machine.

If you get the chance to go full-time here, you have a shot at a decent living -- for many, their first chance and, since workers' wages have gone to hell over the last several decades, there aren't a lot of opportunities out there. (Hopefully covid is helping to change that dynamic.) From driving school throughout probation UPS doubles-down on their advantage. The company wants us all to feel ingratiated, e.g., to keep our heads down, not enforce the contract, not get involved in the union, and feel lucky -- but also threatened, as if we were employed 'at will' (the legal term) and could be sent packing for good without recourse. Why else would they make a habit of firing people when they know it won't stick? They hope it intimidates as many of us as possible so we'll just be quiet, obedient little worker bees.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Nobodies holding a gun to your head and making you work at UPS. More people are quitting their jobs then ever before for better opportunities. Right now you’re watching the free market adapt to what workers want. Less hours, more flexibility and higher pay. You obviously don’t care about workers rights, you’re probably writing that message on an iPhone created by Chinese slave labor and working in boots created by Chinese Muslim slaves in concentration camps. Yes there is a balance between slave labor and ultimate workers rights and there’s a balance between productivity and union demands. I worked six days a week for years as a cover driver and now I PROGRESSED to a better standing in the company. I know people nowadays want a free handout and an amazing job right out of the gate, but you need to work for it. You should be happy about record profits. Provides job security. No what we should do is gouge the company of all its profits so it can’t reinvest it in new trucks, package cars, buildings and workers etc etc. Instead let’s take all that money and give it to the union so they can bail out their bust and bad non UPS pensions all over the country and give it to democrats.

Six days a week is three days too many. I want to work three 14s. If they don’t let me do this I WILL STRIKE

nWo

The amount of people we have that don't understand decimal points is insane. These dudes could not make it anywhere else.

Whither

Scofflaw
The amount of people we have that don't understand decimal points is insane. These dudes could not make it anywhere else.
For perspective, let's look at our 'superiors'. It might shock you to observe the endless parade of buffoons and/or sociopaths that have served as leaders of countries and corporations.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Laughable. Why it’s a :censored2: show right now you got sups loading, sorting, unloading, bulk, and doing pick off.
I was working with this chick thats been there a year and a half doesn't even know what the ba looks like,he won't answer her calls or return her texts either.

UPSER1987

I was working with this chick thats been there a year and a half doesn't even know what the ba looks like,he won't answer her calls or return her texts either.
I thought that type of apathy was reserved for the management team lol. I guess the union has its issues as well.

Don’t throw stones in glass houses.

UPSER1987

What people forget: UPS should always be assumed to have the advantage. Whether people come here young or old, most are already well-trained to fear the employer, e.g., years of non-union jobs where you can be terminated on a whim, or else years of schooling and living in a culture which teaches us the economy rules all and everyone is just a replaceable cog in the machine.

If you get the chance to go full-time here, you have a shot at a decent living -- for many, their first chance and, since workers' wages have gone to hell over the last several decades, there aren't a lot of opportunities out there. (Hopefully covid is helping to change that dynamic.) From driving school throughout probation UPS doubles-down on their advantage. The company wants us all to feel ingratiated, e.g., to keep our heads down, not enforce the contract, not get involved in the union, and feel lucky -- but also threatened, as if we were employed 'at will' (the legal term) and could be sent packing for good without recourse. Why else would they make a habit of firing people when they know it won't stick? They hope it intimidates as many of us as possible so we'll just be quiet, obedient little worker bees.
Paranoid.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
tenor (19).gif