Making UPS a career?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What about weekends? Vacations? Hell even the drive to and from work in a nice vehicle is better. I'll be getting a new car myself and can't wait. Actually I can, since I'm waiting to see if a 2017 Acura MDX will be that much better than a 2016. If not, I'll be ok with getting this years model at 12% off the regular price. Gotta wait till Labor Day. Can't get here soon enough.
Look at Lexus over Acura. Or Audi or Mercedes. They make a way better SUV in the class such as the MDX. Acura (Honda) design lately has been so bland. For the same money, you can get some really cool looking SUVs.

ManInBrown

If you have to lease it,you can't afford it.
Completely INCORRECT. One would have to be a maroon to purchase an Audi. They are a fortune to fix as they get older. You want to get rid of them, before things start going wrong. A gastroenterologist friend of mine who also drives Audi's once told me, at 50,000 miles lights start to come on. The first one says $2500.00 and they only go up from there.

And I only lease. I like a new toy every 3-4 years

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Not true. I lease the Lexus because I like to trade my car in every 3 years. And I literally don't pay for much maintenance on it. My last trade in cost me no out of pocket and they actually gave me close to $5000 back in cash. Cars are the one thing that lose so much depreciation quickly. Leading in my situation was actually beneficial because I don't drive much.

Now my wife's Mercedes we bought at auction and our third "weekend " car which is Audi. We paid for both of those so no car payments. Mine I just like having a new car every 3 or so years.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Completely INCORRECT. One would have to be a maroon to purchase an Audi. They are a fortune to fix as they get older. You want to get rid of them, before things start going wrong. A gastroenterologist friend of mine who also drives Audi's once told me, at 50,000 miles lights start to come on. The first one says $2500.00 and they only go up from there.

And I only lease. I like a new toy every 3-4 years
I think what Gumby is saying is sometimes people lease cars that they can't afford to project a lifestyle they can't afford. We've seen it happen with some friends we know.

ChrisTheBrown

I have to say, a few of the FT drivers at my center (who have 20+ years in) that choose to drive an older vehicle, with rust spots....They inspire me. Seems as if everyone has a $30k+ pickup...GMC, Ford, or Toyota. I also know one with a high end V8 Titan. I plan on driving payment free AS LONG AS I CAN. Cash in the bank, that's what I like, & no debt! Maybe a couple of them paid in full with cash, but that doesn't seem too likely.

ManInBrown

I think what Gumby is saying is sometimes people lease cars that they can't afford to project a lifestyle they can't afford. We've seen it happen with some friends we know.
I don't agree with that thought at all. There are MANY MANY benefits to leasing automobiles, instead of buying. I have no interest in purchasing a $53,000 car. I'd like to drive it for 39 months and move on to something new. Has nothing to do with projecting any kind of lifestyle.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I have to say, a few of the FT drivers at my center (who have 20+ years in) that choose to drive an older vehicle, with rust spots....They inspire me. Seems as if everyone has a $30k+ pickup...GMC, Ford, or Toyota. I also know one with a high end V8 Titan. I plan on driving payment free AS LONG AS I CAN. Cash in the bank, that's what I like, & no debt! Maybe a couple of them paid in full with cash, but that doesn't seem too likely.
It all depends on your circumstances in life. I get grief all the time for the car I drive at work yet my retirement/kids college and savings accounts are great. I have very little debt compared to our income ratio. I thank my wife for that. She's very smart with money and never pays full price.

Plus it helps she makes way way way more than me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I don't agree with that thought at all. There are MANY MANY benefits to leasing automobiles, instead of buying. I have no interest in purchasing a $53,000 car. I'd like to drive it for 39 months and move on to something new. Has nothing to do with projecting any kind of lifestyle.
My point was sometimes people get in over their heads like that. Gumby was probably making that point.

I actually agree with your statements. I'm a huge fan of leasing.

Sometimes though there are people (even at ups) that do try to live a lifestyle beyond their means. It happens every where

clean hairy

What about weekends? Vacations? Hell even the drive to and from work in a nice vehicle is better. I'll be getting a new car myself and can't wait. Actually I can, since I'm waiting to see if a 2017 Acura MDX will be that much better than a 2016. If not, I'll be ok with getting this years model at 12% off the regular price. Gotta wait till Labor Day. Can't get here soon enough.
A savings of only 12% ????
That's too high! (thinking of the scene from the movie Used Cars)

You need a good dependable car...not a show piece

clean hairy

You need a good dependable car...not a show piece
You just described me.
I always buy used, never spent over 6gs on any car.
I would not be afraid to Valet Park any of them at a country Club, they are quite presentable and reliable.
The one I have now is 9 years old, nothing fancy.
I spent 4gs on it a year ago, person wants to give me 5gs.
I already found a nice replacement for 3 gs, put the other 2gs in the bank, and drive the next one a couple of years with only routine repairs.
Just have to know where to find and buy them for a great price!

ChrisTheBrown

I drive an '07 G5 & an '07 Rav4...The wife & I, I should say. I just officially got out of car loan debt 3 weeks ago, so it's gonna take me some more time to get used to...I had car loan debt from Nov '07 (age 19) through last month (age 27.) Made a lot of bad mistakes when I was younger, buying a new car, trading in...Piling debt on top of debt..Once owing $23K on an $18K car..Been through absolute Hell & back. Always stayed on top of my loans & never had a repo..With the help of Dave Ramsey, over the past year, & a great career opportunity at UPS..I was able to finally break the chains of car loan debt & NEVER LOOK BACK!!! IMO, there's not much better then driving payment free. I don't care what anyone thinks of what I drive, either. It's meaningless, to me.

HardknocksUPSer

I drive an '07 G5 & an '07 Rav4...The wife & I, I should say. I just officially got out of car loan debt 3 weeks ago, so it's gonna take me some more time to get used to...I had car loan debt from Nov '07 (age 19) through last month (age 27.) Made a lot of bad mistakes when I was younger, buying a new car, trading in...Piling debt on top of debt..Once owing $23K on an $18K car..Been through absolute Hell & back. Always stayed on top of my loans & never had a repo..With the help of Dave Ramsey, over the past year, & a great career opportunity at UPS..I was able to finally break the chains of car loan debt & NEVER LOOK BACK!!! IMO, there's not much better then driving payment free. I don't care what anyone thinks of what I drive, either. It's meaningless, to me.
Nice story, know lots of folks who have made a budget and made the decision to know where their money is going instead of living in a debt filled mess, Dave has truly helped a lot of people. I'm happy to hear your accomplishment of getting debt free and choosing to live within your means while controlling your money instead of your money controlling you! Congrats dude that's awesome!

Re-Raise

Hello everyone. I am a 16 year old male, thinking about making UPS my future career. I'm not really big on college, and don't feel like spending another 2-4 years learning something i really just do not want to learn and in lots of student debt. However, i would consider going to a trade school since it's not as long as college and alot cheaper. I was thinking about making UPS a career. I could join right out of high school and what not, and work my way up until I'm a full time driver making $30 or so an hour. Sounds like a good deal to me. I get to drive around delivering packages, all whilst making good money. I hear it takes around five years of working with UPS to become a driver, is this correct? Would i be looked down upon in society if i decided to make UPS a career instead of something fancy like a doctor or some desk job lol? I mean i really don't see the need to go to college when i could make really good money doing a job i like.
I was interested in being an OTR trucker, but figured I'd just go along with UPS and become a feeder driver one day. Seems like a perfect job.
16? Shouldn't you be banging cheerleaders or something?

Working for a living isn't that much fun. Quit worrying about it for a while.