Making UPS a career?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You can disagree all you want.
Now they own you. They know you need a new car. It's your money, do what you want with it
Only if you go into there presenting that. I walked out twice during my last lease buying and they caved on what I wanted.

Is just like buying in a sense. It's all a numbers game.

Holydriver

You sound very miserable at ups. Why would you stay if you're miserable on the level you're portraying?

I mean I'm aware ups an be difficult at times in your career. But man, you sound like they've messed up so bad that you're going to lose it.
Do you really like UPS that much? Do you wake up in the morning thinking you like the idea of going to work or do you wake up thinking thatd you'd rather go somewhere else? Do you stay up late Sunday night just to delay Monday? Do you find yourself RO-ing a lot so you don't have to work? Do you ever look at your best friend....Orion....and think of how you got :censored2:ed with too many stops and a ridiculous solution? Do you ever wonder why you get bitched at for things that could be easily fixed by a better preload but no matter what is said preload never gets fixed? I mean there is a lot of problems at UPS. I would take a pay cut to have a life outside of work again. It's just a matter of what you prefer, life and time to spend hownyou prefer or money. I prefer life, others prefer money. The OP was searching for opinions, I gave him mine without trying to sugar coat it

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Do you really like UPS that much? Do you wake up in the morning thinking you like the idea of going to work or do you wake up thinking thatd you'd rather go somewhere else? Do you stay up late Sunday night just to delay Monday? Do you find yourself RO-ing a lot so you don't have to work? Do you ever look at your best friend....Orion....and think of how you got :censored2:ed with too many stops and a ridiculous solution? Do you ever wonder why you get bitched at for things that could be easily fixed by a better preload but no matter what is said preload never gets fixed? I mean there is a lot of problems at UPS. I would take a pay cut to have a life outside of work again. It's just a matter of what you prefer, life and time to spend hownyou prefer or money. I prefer life, others prefer money. The OP was searching for opinions, I gave him mine without trying to sugar coat it

So far from every post I see of yours in this thread and others, you just seem very bitter regarding the job. It's no secret the hours are long, why did you take the job if that was gonna be an issue?

Holydriver

So far from every post I see of yours in this thread and others, you just seem very bitter regarding the job. It's no secret the hours are long, why did you take the job if that was gonna be an issue?
No one told me the hours were long until I had started. I remember being a young fresh driver and asking the guy I was dispatched to help if working this late was normal. He confirmed it for me.

But you're right. I hate this job, I hate this company, and I hate a lot of the brain washed fools that slave away their lives here for the sake of money. When I leave Ups i will start a thread...I'll keep you abreast to the opportunities out there that are better than what you have here.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
No one told me the hours were long until I had started. I remember being a young fresh driver and asking the guy I was dispatched to help if working this late was normal. He confirmed it for me.

But you're right. I hate this job, I hate this company, and I hate a lot of the brain washed fools that slave away their lives here for the sake of money. When I leave Ups i will start a thread...I'll keep you abreast to the opportunities out there that are better than what you have here.

You did 30 days in probation and I'm sure a lot of those first days out by yourself were long. Why not just self DQ at that moment and save yourself (and us folks that have to put up with your super negative posts) the misery? And if not that, why spend the time to seek out a forum and create a profile just to post about a job you hate?

Browndriver5

There are plenty of places hiring here in Ga. I just left wal mart they are hiring. You can work 20 hours a week as a cashier and have all the life you want. Too bad you'll be broke. Any job that pays well consumes your time.

Holydriver

You did 30 days in probation and I'm sure a lot of those first days out by yourself were long. Why not just self DQ at that moment and save yourself (and us folks that have to put up with your super negative posts) the misery? And if not that, why spend the time to seek out a forum and create a profile just to post about a job you hate?
Next time I'll add a little safe space warning so as not to offend your sensitive sensibilities

Holydriver

There are plenty of places hiring here in Ga. I just left wal mart they are hiring. You can work 20 hours a week as a cashier and have all the life you want. Too bad you'll be broke. Any job that pays well consumes your time.
Wal Mart isn't a bad gig. You can be lazy and all kinds of stuff.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
No I know how to balance things in life. Apparently you don't.

I also just come in, do my job safely by the methods and take care of my customers.

You can take a pay cut right now. Quit. You can apparently hate it so much it's eating you alive. There are things I dislike about ups but I know how to play the game and play it well. Everything else is not worth getting bent out of shape for.

You're letting the bad elements control your quality of life when they do that.

You might not have the right temperament and skin for this career.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Next time I'll add a little safe space warning so as not to offend your sensitive sensibilities
It sounds like you get riled up easily and that's probably why you're having a difficult time at ups. How long have you been here?

Learn to be like a duck and let the water slide off you.

Ms.PacMan

Your posts also seem very down on women. If you're an unhappy person then a change may not help and less money really won't help.

People aren't brainwashed. Most of us have responsibilities that require us to put our wants behind our needs.

Good luck though.

JL 0513

A full time driver works 12 hour days. (S) he drives the same hundred or so streets every day, stopping around 200 times. He picks the boxes out of his truck, carries them to where they go, records some data, and goes back to the truck, drives to the next stop. About a thousand times a week, fifty weeks a year.

It's a little more interesting than that, but does it sound like "career" material to you?

"About 30 an hour " is only going to be twice minimum wage in a couple years.

Check this dude out. http://www.entrepreneur.com/video/272115

Kinds sad we pass along this type of mis-information and scare the kid off right away that was interested in a good opportunity.

12 hour days? Maybe on December 23rd. How often are you really punching out at 9pm (which is closer to 11 paid hrs with lunch). 10pm for 12 paid hrs. Average is 9.5. A very short day compared to the 2 job life I lived for 15 years before driving. Lets stop exaggerating about the hrs to people curious about the job.

You quoted his "around $30/hr" yet you know we are closer to $35/hr not counting health insurance and pension. Plus 5-10 hrs a week at over $52/hr. Take a look online at "jobs that pay $35/hr". You'll notice they are highly skilled and many need masters degrees. We can do ours while day dreaming. Also, about the minimum wage comment. The federal minimum wage is not going to be anywhere near $15 for quite awhile, never mind a couple of years. Plus, by the time he'd be driving, we'll be at over $40/hr.

If you believe what you say, same goes for others, why don't you quit and enjoy the greener pastures? OK then.

ManInBrown

You're miserable. I'm going to take a wild guess and say

You're that guy at the computer screen every morning looking at your day FOR FREE

You're that guy grabbing his HV package out of the cage, and bringing it to the car FOR FREE

You're that guy massaging his load every morning searching for misloads before the start time FOR FREE

If you hate the job, quit. I'm sure they'll find someone to replace you. Let us know how Walmart is.
And you had no idea the hours would be this long? Were you given a permanent driver job off the street day 1?

Last edited:

NXA

Kinds sad we pass along this type of mis-information and scare the kid off right away that was interested in a good opportunity.

12 hour days? Maybe on December 23rd. How often are you really punching out at 9pm (which is closer to 11 paid hrs with lunch). 10pm for 12 paid hrs. Average is 9.5. A very short day compared to the 2 job life I lived for 15 years before driving. Lets stop exaggerating about the hrs to people curious about the job.

You quoted his "around $30/hr" yet you know we are closer to $35/hr not counting health insurance and pension. Plus 5-10 hrs a week at over $52/hr. Take a look online at "jobs that pay $35/hr". You'll notice they are highly skilled and many need masters degrees. We can do ours while day dreaming. Also, about the minimum wage comment. The federal minimum wage is not going to be anywhere near $15 for quite awhile, never mind a couple of years. Plus, by the time he'd be driving, we'll be at over $40/hr.

If you believe what you say, same goes for others, why don't you quit and enjoy the greener pastures? OK then.
I consider an hour unpaid lunch part of my day. I do 55 paid hour weeks on the regular. You're right it's not average. Neither is 9.5 average, so we're both exaggerating a bit. 10 hours paid day?

Pay: the dude is 16. If he were to start PT, and have an average tragectory with a similar couple contracts, he'll be making maybe 40/hr when he makes top rate (10 yrs from now? ) what's min wage gonna be then? Betcha its over 15. So yeah the numbers will be bigger but the lifestyle it buys will be smaller. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not miserable here. I enjoy the work most of the time. But it's a fallback position, having messed everything else up. It does not reward excellence, it doesn't reward education, there's no promotion opportunities (unless feeders is a promotion? ) all of which make a career. It's a job. A good job, no doubt, but a job.

That's what I'll tell my kids when they ask, and that's what I tell other kids when they ask.

JL 0513

I consider an hour unpaid lunch part of my day. I do 55 paid hour weeks on the regular. You're right it's not average. Neither is 9.5 average, so we're both exaggerating a bit. 10 hours paid day?

Pay: the dude is 16. If he were to start PT, and have an average tragectory with a similar couple contracts, he'll be making maybe 40/hr when he makes top rate (10 yrs from now? ) what's min wage gonna be then? Betcha its over 15. So yeah the numbers will be bigger but the lifestyle it buys will be smaller. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not miserable here. I enjoy the work most of the time. But it's a fallback position, having messed everything else up. It does not reward excellence, it doesn't reward education, there's no promotion opportunities (unless feeders is a promotion? ) all of which make a career. It's a job. A good job, no doubt, but a job.

That's what I'll tell my kids when they ask, and that's what I tell other kids when they ask.

How can your center run drivers 55 hrs a week average, non-peak? My center (and district) won't let us approach 50. 50 hours is rare. Nationally, it is closer to 9.5 paid for all drivers. That's our average. If we came in at 11 paid, we'd be in the office the next morning being asked to explain what went wrong.

Adding your lunch hour to your day's length is fine but you have to do that for all other jobs too. That makes most typical jobs 9 hrs. So if we're doing 10.5, it's not the end of the world.

Your other comments about rewarding excellence and such? Well, it's a union job. Union jobs essentially treat everyone the same. Same pay for every driver whether you're the best or worst. Welcome to unionization. People asked to be in a union, that's the reality of it. You want personal recognition, go non-union.

Last edited: