Management Buyout Update?

paganpink

Let me get this straight though- we're talking about all management being eligible this time- and possibly starting in April? How high is confidence in this happening??

constructively dissatisfi

Let me get this straight though- we're talking about all management being eligible this time- and possibly starting in April? How high is confidence in this happening??
I think some kind of pension buyout is very likely. Hard to tell when though. But I doubt it will be an early retirement offer, just a way to terminate the defined benefit pension plan. But it's likely to be structured so you'll get screwed it you leave before retirement age. Make no mistake, they want you to leave before retirement age. They just want to keep a big chunk of the money you've earned when you do. Just like the new "improved" MIP. MIP used to be a bonus. They turned it into a way to bone us. Rest assured, the new "improved" retirement plan will be more of the same. ;)

local804

. They just want to keep a big chunk of the money you've earned when you do. Just like the new "improved" MIP. MIP used to be a bonus. They turned it into a way to bone us. Rest assured, the new "improved" retirement plan will be more of the same. ;)

lol .

Channahon

I think some kind of pension buyout is very likely. Hard to tell when though. But I doubt it will be an early retirement offer, just a way to terminate the defined benefit pension plan. But it's likely to be structured so you'll get screwed it you leave before retirement age. Make no mistake, they want you to leave before retirement age. They just want to keep a big chunk of the money you've earned when you do. Just like the new "improved" MIP. MIP used to be a bonus. They turned it into a way to bone us. Rest assured, the new "improved" retirement plan will be more of the same. ;)

As the retirement plan is now , if you leave before 55, you get your retirement pay, but not health benefits. Your information has been going around for a couple of years.

Not saying it won't happen, as some large corporations ( I think IBM was one) got rid of the traditional pension plan and turned the monies over to the employees. No administrative costs, and allowing the employee to invest as they choose. Bad deal, not so sure.

As the retirement plan is now , if you leave before 55, you get your retirement pay, but not health benefits. Your information has been going around for a couple of years.

Not saying it won't happen, as some large corporations ( I think IBM was one) got rid of the traditional pension plan and turned the monies over to the employees. No administrative costs, and allowing the employee to invest as they choose. Bad deal, not so sure.
If you leave before you're 55 you get 40% of your retirement benefits and no medical. I don't have any inside info on any pension plan changes. But defined benefit plans are all dead men walking IMHO. They're too much of an unpredictable liability for companies to keep them. And UPS has already demonstrated that it's more than willing to screw current managers, especially grades 19 and below, for any available short term bottom line gains. BTW, what IBM did resulted in a class action suit against them by the people who got screwed. I imagine the same will happen at UPS. The "partnership" is but a distant memory both from a financial perspective and from a teamwork perspective.

browniehound

Channahon,
You seem to know too much and sound like a current management employee of UPS. Are you pulling our chain by saying that you're a former employee?

ups79

Maybe dumbsup is a divorced spouse of a former UPS management partner wanting her fair share of the lump sum payout.

Channahon

Channahon,
You seem to know too much and sound like a current management employee of UPS. Are you pulling our chain by saying that you're a former employee?
No, I'm not a current employee. Spent 27 years at UPS and stay in touch with some co workers and fellow retirees

Channahon

The IBM did resulted in a class action suit against them by the people who got screwed. I imagine the same will happen at UPS. The "partnership" is but a distant memory both from a financial perspective and from a teamwork perspective.[/quote
Here are the people who got screwed by IBM. If and when UPS changes the retirement plan, I would think some research would be done

What does the July 31, 2003 decision in the IBM Pension lawsuit mean?
A: The judge found that several aspects of IBM’s 1995 plan (the Pension Credit Formula, or PCF plan) and IBM’s 1999 Cash Balance plan violate certain rules set forth by ERISA (the Employees Retirement Income Security Act), the federal law that governs pension plans. Both plans were found to discriminate against older employees. Under the PCF plan, if two employees of different ages were hired on the same day, and worked the same number of years and received the same salary, the younger employee would receive a larger pension benefit than the older employee. This is illegal under ERISA. For a similar set of employees in the cash balance plan, the benefit accrual rate for older employees was found to be less than for younger employees. Again, under ERISA, this is illegal. The judge also found that the formula that IBM used to calculate the opening balance for the cash balance plan, called ‘Always Cash Balance,’ caused the younger of two employees with equal years of service to be credited with a higher opening balance. The judge ruled that this was also illegal under ERISA.
Does this mean that all cash balance plans are illegal?
A: Although statements from IBM and some pension consultants have made such a claim, the judge’s decision applies only to IBM’s plan. Not all cash balance plans work the same way or use the same formula as IBM’s plan. Each plan needs to be looked at individually to determine if it has similar problems. Some plans could have the same problem as IBM’s and therefore could also be found to be illegal. The ruling in the IBM case came from a federal district court, and district courts in other parts of the country could reach different conclusions for other companies’ plans, even if they work the same way as IBM’s. This is one reason that many experts believe that this case will ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court. A decision from the Supreme Court would apply to all companies nation wide.

dumbsup

Nope, still on car. I guess you didn't understand my question, my friend realizes that he gets only 40% at 55. But his real question is if they buyout the pension, will he get a payment. He should, he is vested.

Channahon

This buyout is different from someone leaving before they reach retirement age. He/She will have to wait until 55 to draw any monies from UPS. If the pension plan changes down the road, there may be options for a lump sum

michael

Chicago area
Here's the way it worked before, not sure if it's still the same or not.

If you left UPS before you were 55 you would still be eligible to collect your pension at age 55 but at a reduced amount.

UPS considers the age of 65 as the point when you would be eligible to collect 100% of your pension. (if you left the company before age 55) For example, if you were 50 when you left UPS and you decided to start collecting your pension when you turned 55 you would lose 6% for every year before you turned 65. Thus, 6% times 10 years equals 60%, that's what you would lose (60%). So, you would collect 40% of what you would normally get at age 65.

If you wait until you are 60, you would lose 6% times 5 years or 30%. Again, you would get 70% of what you would normally get at age 65.

I think (and I will stand corrected if I'm wrong on this) if you work until you are 55, UPS will award you 70% of what you would get at age 65.

Of course I am speaking only of the UPS defined pension plan for management. Other plans for UPS employees are different.

lifegoeson

Those under age 55 who elected to take the SVSO (Special Voluntary Severance Opportunity) have demonstrated long range vision and confidence in themselves. Their experience and loyalty will be missed by UPS in the long run. In my opinion, many of those who declined the offer are probably unemployable outside UPS and know it.

nhguy

Michael,

What you say is correct. I do believe that if you have 25 years of service and are 55 years old, there is no penalty. The plan as it exist now is made up of a whole lot of formulas that are used to calculate years of service, benefits years and a couple of other formulas to determine what your actual pension is. Use the financial planner on upsers.com. That program I am told is very accurate to what your actual benefit will be based on a bunch of parameters.

Wish they would simplify the whole thing!

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
... plan as it exist now is made up of a whole lot of formulas that are used to calculate years of service, benefits years and a couple of other formulas to determine...your actual pension...

Wish they would simplify the whole thing!
Be careful what you wish for! Many companies have been simplifying their pension plans in recent years....

Dfigtree

there were 194 happy employees retiring today.......
You mean, there were 194 happy ex-employees. It took me about three days to forget about three years of madeira whine (if you know what I mean.)
Remember, if they are shareholder ex-employees, then they still own a piece of the truck and can and should freely express their opinions, as owners of the company, at shareholder meetings (without fear of reprisal from medeira).

dumbsup

Less than 1/3 took it, what a joke, 8,000,000 shares traded today. Know why? Last day corp employees can sell before 1st qtr earnings in April. It's like rats out of a sinking ship...

You mean, there were 194 happy ex-employees. It took me about three days to forget about three years of madeira whine (if you know what I mean.)
Remember, if they are shareholder ex-employees, then they still own a piece of the truck and can and should freely express their opinions, as owners of the company, at shareholder meetings (without fear of reprisal from medeira).
Are you referring to someone in IS whose name is very close to Madeira and who looks like Rick Moranis? I know exactly who you mean. ;)