Management career vs. Union career?

Ciggy5

Hey all. This is something I've been wondering about since I started as an unloader a little while ago, just curious really...

I've heard a lot of noise about manager careers vs. labor careers (drivers mostly). I've heard from some that managers (sort managers+) get paid more and get better benefits but then I hear that drivers get more after overtime, and then I also hear that the union is great but then I also hear it sucks.

Based on anyone reading this right now, who's happier? Thanks

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'd say they both suck but personally I'd stick with the union "career" simply on the basis that I'd prefer to be held responsible for as little as absolutely necessary.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
If you wanna be constantly pooped on and have nobody respect you then become a supervisor. If you like lying to people become a supervisor. If you like the thought of being fired for things that are 100% not in your control become a supervisor.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Hey all. This is something I've been wondering about since I started as an unloader a little while ago, just curious really...

I've heard a lot of noise about manager careers vs. labor careers (drivers mostly). I've heard from some that managers (sort managers+) get paid more and get better benefits but then I hear that drivers get more after overtime, and then I also hear that the union is great but then I also hear it sucks.

Based on anyone reading this right now, who's happier? Thanks
The retired ones are the happiest. It all sucks at ups

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The retired ones are the happiest. It all sucks at ups
I resemble that remark. yuk yuk yuk.

OP, use the search function to read 100 other threads on this topic.

Personally, the stress level is much less as a union employee. It takes a very special person to be successful as a manager. It can be done but it is rare.

In almost 25 years at UPS I only knew 2 or 3 really professional managers. The rest had sold their souls to the company and would rat out their mothers to keep their job.

Unless you are one in a thousand, stay hourly.

FOH