Management Early retirement option coming in January

Channahon

In making holiday phone calls to my UPS friends who are still at UPS, there was an adminstrative early retirement/buyout package recently. They are also hearing rumors of a management buyout in January and a big announcement by UPS. Just guessing, but the big announcement may be the continued consolidation of districts and regions which has been going on since the 90's.

I also know UPS management who are eligible to go at 55, but are opting to stay, because the stock price and financial concerns.
Everyone's situation is different when it come to a retirement age. But the option to leave at 55 with a reduced benefit has always been there and was the norm, rather than the exception, however, with the economic downturn of the last few years, some are opting to stay longer.

Personally, I was more than ready at 55 and have been enjoying my life after UPS.

Wishing all UPSer's on Brown Cafe, a safe and happy holiday season.

nhguy

All should be careful what you wish for. I have no knowledge on any of this, but my thoughts are you might see an offer to leave early, however, it may include additional cost for medical or a changed medical package. If it were me, I would want to get out under the current program. I can't see UPS offering any kind of significant financial package to leave.

The last buyout offered to Atlanta couldn't have been that great since only about 25% took the package to leave.

UPS Lifer

In making holiday phone calls to my UPS friends who are still at UPS, there was an adminstrative early retirement/buyout package recently. They are also hearing rumors of a management buyout in January and a big announcement by UPS. Just guessing, but the big announcement may be the continued consolidation of districts and regions which has been going on since the 90's.

I also know UPS management who are eligible to go at 55, but are opting to stay, because the stock price and financial concerns.
Everyone's situation is different when it come to a retirement age. But the option to leave at 55 with a reduced benefit has always been there and was the norm, rather than the exception, however, with the economic downturn of the last few years, some are opting to stay longer.

Personally, I was more than ready at 55 and have been enjoying my life after UPS.

Wishing all UPSer's on Brown Cafe, a safe and happy holiday season.
I agree with your sentiments! I had a UPS friend that turned 55 and was sticking around because he still had kids in high school. He felt that until his kids graduated he might as well continue to accumulate years of service. He started in his 30's. He was making a decision that fit his need and lifestyle.