Management Focusing on Numbers

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
A supervisor walked up to me again this morning with a piece of paper in hand. Says, “Hey can we chat for a minute?“ I said, ”With a shop steward present, yes.” He rolled his eyes and walked away. Came back 15 minutes later with a steward when I was about to leave center.

”You were 46 minutes over allowed yesterday.” I just said, ”Okay..?” He went on, “This is the sixth day in a row you’ve been over by more than a half hour.” (( they recently laid off the bid driver that works in the area next to me and permanently cut his route )) I told him that I was covering a larger area than normal and I’ve taken on an additional 25+ stops per day. He says, “We account for all of that. Can you tell me what you were doing for almost 20 minutes after 1600?“

I don’t have pick ups on my route anymore and I rarely get an on-demand, but I happened to get one yesterday and it was next day air. I told this idiot that I was dropping my on-demand air with the driver next to me who now has all my old pick ups. He grabs NDA from a bank every day so he has to go to our loop’s air drop, meaning I saved time by giving it to him because he is closer than our drop location. When I finished explaining myself I asked, “Did your metrics account for that?” This jerk replies, “That shouldn’t have cost you twenty minutes. Were you guys shooting the breeze?”

My shop steward could see I was getting agitated, he intervened and said “You’re grilling him over time, something we don’t have right now. Do you want to continue this nonsense or would you like late air? Because thats what you’re gonna get if we don’t get out of here now.” I politely asked this wonderful supervisor to come out on road with me anytime and show me how it’s done. To my surprise he said they were going to arrange it. This clown has less than 3 months behind the wheel of a package car, I have 7 years. I guess we will see how it goes when I follow the methods and run my route in trace. I’m not gonna let this guy cut corners, I will own this fool.
Introduce him to EVERY person on your route. Tell them If they have any problems he is the go to guy, he can fix all
Of the problems yada yada. You can waste more time like that and it’s hilarious watching them catch on to what you are doing

Zowert

Introduce him to EVERY person on your route. Tell them If they have any problems he is the go to guy, he can fix all
Of the problems yada yada. You can waste more time like that and it’s hilarious watching them catch on to what you are doing
The ride along with my sup was a complete joke. He was constantly trying to cut corners in order to save time. There are two apartments that I don’t have keys for so I use the call box to contact the customers. I walked up and started browsing through tenants and I could see him looking at his watch lol! “There must be a faster way of doing this.“ He said. I just shook my head. “How come you have keys for all the other apartments but not this one?” I told him I had been trying to get in touch with the property manager for years with no luck. The customer was home, opened the door through the callbox and I started walking toward the stairs, “Where you going? Why don’t you just leave it here?” He pointed to a pile of Amazon and FedEx packages in the lobby. I just smirked and kept going, climbed up to the third floor where the customer was waiting with her door cracked open, handed it to her “Have a nice day ma’am.”

It happened to be raining when he went on road with me. The first time I went to grab a DR bag he goes, “Really? Do you need that? Looks like there is cover under their porch.” I said, ”It’s windy, look at their porch, it’s soaking wet.” Every time I grabbed a DR bag he rolled his eyes. I used over a dozen of them.

I deliver vital medication to several elderly and disabled customers on a weekly basis. This day one of them weren’t home so I started to walk across the street to have their neighbor sign for it like I usually do (this guy happens to be a retired Teamster, so he’s alway home). Supervisor, “Did you forget your info notices?” I didn’t feel like explaining the situation to him so I just said, “No.” He followed me as I knocked on the old man’s door. He answered and greeted me by name, asked who was with me then signed for the package and we joked for a minute. I wrapped it up quicker than usual with a smart ass comment, “Alright Jim you’re gonna get me fired, I gotta go.”

As we are walking back to my truck the sup lets me have it, “That was totally unnecessary. You could have had five stops completed during the time you just spent here.” I was FedUp so I hit him with the most condescending and sarcastic tone I had while remaining respectful, “With all do respect sir, this is UPS. Service is literally in the name of our company and that’s what I’m giving my customers. What separates us from our competitors?” He doesn’t answer, just looks at me like I’m going to tell him so I do, “The cost of shipping. We are more expensive than FedEx, the post office and all the regional carriers out there but you get what you pay for. The FedEx guy will leave your package in the lobby. UPS brings it to your door. FedEx will make you wait another day for your medication if you’re not home, UPS will leave it with your neighbor so you have it when you get back from the grocery store.”

He had nothing to say. Luckily he wasn’t on road with me all day. He met me on route after lunch and I picked him up. The D bag was only in the jump seat for a couple hours before he asked me to drop him off at his car. “We will talk about all this tomorrow.” Well, tomorrow and the next day came. No word from him, just an awkward frown. This supervisor was hired during the pandemic and spent like four months cover driving. There is a big difference between cover and bid driving. Supervisors never get to experience life as a bid driver, so I don’t think it’s fair for them to criticize how we run our route.

Sorry for the novel guys, lol!

pkgdriver

The ride along with my sup was a complete joke. He was constantly trying to cut corners in order to save time. There are two apartments that I don’t have keys for so I use the call box to contact the customers. I walked up and started browsing through tenants and I could see him looking at his watch lol! “There must be a faster way of doing this.“ He said. I just shook my head. “How come you have keys for all the other apartments but not this one?” I told him I had been trying to get in touch with the property manager for years with no luck. The customer was home, opened the door through the callbox and I started walking toward the stairs, “Where you going? Why don’t you just leave it here?” He pointed to a pile of Amazon and FedEx packages in the lobby. I just smirked and kept going, climbed up to the third floor where the customer was waiting with her door cracked open, handed it to her “Have a nice day ma’am.”

It happened to be raining when he went on road with me. The first time I went to grab a DR bag he goes, “Really? Do you need that? Looks like there is cover under their porch.” I said, ”It’s windy, look at their porch, it’s soaking wet.” Every time I grabbed a DR bag he rolled his eyes. I used over a dozen of them.

I deliver vital medication to several elderly and disabled customers on a weekly basis. This day one of them weren’t home so I started to walk across the street to have their neighbor sign for it like I usually do (this guy happens to be a retired Teamster, so he’s alway home). Supervisor, “Did you forget your info notices?” I didn’t feel like explaining the situation to him so I just said, “No.” He followed me as I knocked on the old man’s door. He answered and greeted me by name, asked who was with me then signed for the package and we joked for a minute. I wrapped it up quicker than usual with a smart ass comment, “Alright Jim you’re gonna get me fired, I gotta go.”

As we are walking back to my truck the sup lets me have it, “That was totally unnecessary. You could have had five stops completed during the time you just spent here.” I was FedUp so I hit him with the most condescending and sarcastic tone I had while remaining respectful, “With all do respect sir, this is UPS. Service is literally in the name of our company and that’s what I’m giving my customers. What separates us from our competitors?” He doesn’t answer, just looks at me like I’m going to tell him so I do, “The cost of shipping. We are more expensive than FedEx, the post office and all the regional carriers out there but you get what you pay for. The FedEx guy will leave your package in the lobby. UPS brings it to your door. FedEx will make you wait another day for your medication if you’re not home, UPS will leave it with your neighbor so you have it when you get back from the grocery store.”

He had nothing to say. Luckily he wasn’t on road with me all day. He met me on route after lunch and I picked him up. The D bag was only in the jump seat for a couple hours before he asked me to drop him off at his car. “We will talk about all this tomorrow.” Well, tomorrow and the next day came. No word from him, just an awkward frown. This supervisor was hired during the pandemic and spent like four months cover driving. There is a big difference between cover and bid driving. Supervisors never get to experience life as a bid driver, so I don’t think it’s fair for them to criticize how we run our route.

Sorry for the novel guys, lol!
Good read and good job. When I was trained I was told to look for a neighbor to indirect if possible. He also said dont waste too much time on it till I learned the routes while covering. We also had a send again report.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We have the power to not allow them to only focus on the numbers. We are the direct connection with the customer. Take pride in your work, and use the methods. Good work @Zowert, way to rep the good side.

dudebro

When I coordinated helpers, (just before they recorded the CBT) for the DIAD training we went through indirect deliveries for an hour or two on the Saturday before the Tuesday they started. That was for helpers for 6 weeks, it was such a critical component of making service on the packages.

They'd forget all about the training by the following Tuesday, but the point is, that was our expectation.

Zowert

When I coordinated helpers, (just before they recorded the CBT) for the DIAD training we went through indirect deliveries for an hour or two on the Saturday before the Tuesday they started. That was for helpers for 6 weeks, it was such a critical component of making service on the packages.

They'd forget all about the training by the following Tuesday, but the point is, that was our expectation.
Indirect delivery sets us apart from our competition. Whether it’s to an access point or a neighbor. I had a package for a guy that wasn’t home and didn’t require a signature but I knew it was expensive (hundreds of rounds of ammunition). If I released it there was a good chance someone would steal it. So I knocked on his neighbors door and asked them if they were cool with John Smith next door. After a short conversation and some common sense I find out they’re good fishing buddies (almost in a Brokeback Mountain kinda way), so I left the package with him. I might have wasted a little time but in the end I prevented a driver follow up.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Indirect delivery sets us apart from our competition. Whether it’s to an access point or a neighbor. I had a package for a guy that wasn’t home and didn’t require a signature but I knew it was expensive (hundreds of rounds of ammunition). If I released it there was a good chance someone would steal it. So I knocked on his neighbors door and asked them if they were cool with John Smith next door. After a short conversation and some common sense I find out they’re good fishing buddies (almost in a Brokeback Mountain kinda way), so I left the package with him. I might have wasted a little time but in the end I prevented a driver follow up.
Yah, driver follow ups we don't do those anymore either. What a joke.