Management found a new loophole..

Utahloader

Why are you trying to dampen bubble's thunder when he's charging into a righteous crusade against management? :)

Here's what likely happened. Driver needed help. Had a driver willing to work part of a day just to go help. So the center sent said driver to help with the same route downloaded to his board so 1) easier to transfer work, 2) it does not look like the center dispatched an additional route that day (which they did not in fact do).

This could be a case of the center manipulating the system to actually make the reports closer to reality, and therefore more honest than they would otherwise be. It could also be the center trying to hide shenanigans. Hard to tell with the information present.

Either way, if there is dishonesty, it is between one level of management and another. To @Mugarolla 's point, no drivers paycheck will be harmed in the making of this days dispatch. So, any worry over it, and any righteous indignation fired up over it are both a compete waste of energy.
As I said, if I give a driver boxes the transfer should be recorded. That's covering me, also this sets the record that the route doesn't need fixing. He will continue to get away with overloading the truck.

brownIEman

If that helps you sleep....ok???

But in reality, that is not entirely the case.

They sell us stock, when once they didn't....
They bargain with us "collectively", at least they used to....

I choose to believe, at least in part, that makes it "our Company".

Just out of curiosity, if you feel it partly your company, would it also bother you when "your" company also wasted thousands of $ in payroll on grievance meetings trying to get a steward to understand that two different drivers with the same route downloaded on their board is not an article 12 violation?

Asking for a friend... :)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just out of curiosity, if you feel it partly your company, would it also bother you when "your" company also wasted thousands of $ in payroll on grievance meetings trying to get a steward to understand that two different drivers with the same route downloaded on their board is not an article 12 violation?

Asking for a friend... :)
When did that happen?

Maybe my perspective is skewed by the local practice of recording stops on a "Center DIAD", with an employee # 0000000 listed?

....or when the shuttle driver's DIAD records were merged into the routes of choice?

Perhaps when the shuttle driver calls the driver to manually enter the misloaded package, while they are miles away?

Need I go on???

Last edited:

brownIEman

As I said, if I give a driver boxes the transfer should be recorded. That's covering me, also this sets the record that the route doesn't need fixing. He will continue to get away with overloading the truck.

Actually, it will show that the route was delivered by 2 different drivers. That is hard to gauge when dispatching future days, as it really gives no good data, but it certainly does not set the record that the route does not need fixing. If anything, it does the opposite. If you were able to get in under 9.5, the record for the day from your board would show an under 9.5 day with the stop/piece count/miles that you actually delivered. So, if I'm dispatching on a day with a similar center load to this day, I could pull up your results history for that route number and see you got in under 9.5 based on what you actually delivered, not what was dispatched to you.

As I said earlier, when the center chose to do this the way they did, the gave up any ability to hold you accountable for the packages dispatched to your route. Why are you concerned about being "covered" for something that you don't have any need to be covered for?

brownIEman

When did that happen?

Maybe my perspective is skewed by the local practice of recording stops on a "Center DIAD", with an employee # 0000000 listed?

....or when the shuttle driver's DIAD records were merged into the routes of choice?

Perhaps when the shuttle driver calls the driver to manually enter the misloaded package, while they are miles away?

Need I go on???

Yes, seeing as you have yet to list anything covered under article 12, you need to keep going...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Actually, it will show that the route was delivered by 2 different drivers. That is hard to gauge when dispatching future days, as it really gives no good data, but it certainly does not set the record that the route does not need fixing. If anything, it does the opposite. If you were able to get in under 9.5, the record for the day from your board would show an under 9.5 day with the stop/piece count/miles that you actually delivered. So, if I'm dispatching on a day with a similar center load to this day, I could pull up your results history for that route number and see you got in under 9.5 based on what you actually delivered, not what was dispatched to you.

As I said earlier, when the center chose to do this the way they did, the gave up any ability to hold you accountable for the packages dispatched to your route. Why are you concerned about being "covered" for something that you don't have any need to be covered for?
These frontline managers are more desperate than the drivers, living by the moment, just trying to survive in a Martian landscape.

They will short sheet their Grandmother, just to survive.

F

Frankie's Friend

Why are you trying to dampen bubble's thunder when he's charging into a righteous crusade against management? :)

Here's what likely happened. Driver needed help. Had a driver willing to work part of a day just to go help. So the center sent said driver to help with the same route downloaded to his board so 1) easier to transfer work, 2) it does not look like the center dispatched an additional route that day (which they did not in fact do).

This could be a case of the center manipulating the system to actually make the reports closer to reality, and therefore more honest than they would otherwise be. It could also be the center trying to hide shenanigans. Hard to tell with the information present.

Either way, if there is dishonesty, it is between one level of management and another. To @Mugarolla 's point, no drivers paycheck will be harmed in the making of this days dispatch. So, any worry over it, and any righteous indignation fired up over it are both a compete waste of energy.
Why did you tag him when you were responding to his post?
Get up too early?

Asking for a friend.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, seeing as you have yet to list anything covered under article 12, you need to keep going...
I'll be honest, I may have misread or misunderstood what the OP was saying, but in the end his/her supervisor is circumventing the intent of the metric?

....which equals "dishonesty" for us, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Will you deny that this "creative" management team was positioning themselves for a bigger management bonus in this scenario, while their peers were "painting inside the lines"?

F

Frankie's Friend

When did that happen?

Need I go on???
Or their driving time is logged (off road) as safety.

brownIEman

Why did you tag him when you were responding to his post?
Get up too early?

Asking for a friend.

Nope, just a quick way to give him credit for the notion that none of this will impact the drivers pay so it didn't look like I was trying to take credit for it.

And please, everyone knows you have no friends... :)

(fill disclosure, neither do I)

brownIEman

I'll be honest, I may have misread or misunderstood what the OP was saying, but in the end his/her supervisor is circumventing the intent of the metric?

....which equals "dishonesty" for us, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Will you deny that this "creative" management team was positioning themselves for a bigger management bonus in this scenario, while their peers were "painting inside the lines"?

They very well could be trying to hide something. They might be trying not to.

If they send a driver with a new route number to help, reports will show that the center dispatched another route that day, even though it was just someone helping. If that means the reports show they dispatched 56 routes when they were told to dispatch no more than 55, then they would get yelled at for nothing. They could also be using this to cover for dispatching errors, in which case they should be yelled at.

In either case, it has nothing to do with the bonus. The bonus is based on the company's performance, not the center's.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They very well could be trying to hide something. They might be trying not to.

If they send a driver with a new route number to help, reports will show that the center dispatched another route that day, even though it was just someone helping. If that means the reports show they dispatched 56 routes when they were told to dispatch no more than 55, then they would get yelled at for nothing. They could also be using this to cover for dispatching errors, in which case they should be yelled at.

In either case, it has nothing to do with the bonus. The bonus is based on the company's performance, not the center's.
Not if I catch them cheating....and I have repeatedly.
When that's the case, they pay.

But I will acknowledge the possibility of your scenario, while shaking my head, as we continue to treat the symptoms rather than fix the problems.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If that helps you sleep....ok???

But in reality, that is not entirely the case.

They sell us stock, when once they didn't....
They bargain with us "collectively", at least they used to....

I choose to believe, at least in part, that makes it "our Company".

OK, our Company if it makes you feel better.

I work for UPS. I own some stock. I still see it as their Company, not our Company. I work for them.

I still pick my battles. If them changing, or fudging their numbers doesn't affect any of us, I don't care.

You seem to, and tell me....

How's that working out for you? Not being sarcastic, being serious.

You call Atlanta in, they are forced to reassign sups, and you don't think there is a grudge there?

You yourself said you have years of backlogged grievances and your local reps are useless.

Maybe the reps are tired of dealing with a Company with a grudge, one that won't budge on anything, one they can't get anywhere with because the Company is having to relocate managers and sups because they fudged a number.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK, our Company if it makes you feel better.

I work for UPS. I own some stock. I still see it as their Company, not our Company. I work for them.

I still pick my battles. If them changing, or fudging their numbers doesn't affect any of us, I don't care.

You seem to, and tell me....

How's that working out for you? Not being sarcastic, being serious.

You call Atlanta in, they are forced to reassign sups, and you don't think there is a grudge there?

You yourself said you have years of backlogged grievances and your local reps are useless.

Maybe the reps are tired of dealing with a Company with a grudge, one that won't budge on anything, one they can't get anywhere with because the Company is having to relocate managers and sups because they fudged a number.
There are two "common denominators" during my 14 years as steward for 200+ package car drivers....

....and that is the very same unreasonable Company Labor Manager and a conflict of interest at the State Panel.

If you have the ability to fathom what it's like for a single steward to represent as many employees as I am, you would realize that only the most egregious scenarios hit my radar.

No way will I discover every fudged number, but I for sure strive to expose any hypocrite that throws stones from their glass house.

So if my "Reps" are tired?....they need to suck it up and have my back, do their "job" and process our grievances, because I am doing "two jobs" to their one....and they work for me and not the Company?

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There are two "common denominators" during my 14 years as steward for 200+ package car drivers....

....and that is the very same unreasonable Company Labor Manager and a conflict of interest at the State Panel.

If you have the ability to fathom what it's like for a single steward to represent as many employees as I am, you would realize that only the most egregious scenarios hit my radar.

No way will I discover every fudged number, but I for sure strive to expose any hypocrite that throws stones from their glass house.

So if my "Reps" are tired?....they need to suck it up and have my back, because I am doing two jobs to their one....and they work for me and not the Company?

Fair enough, but I don't care about their number fudging as long as it doesn't affect us.

They run the Company.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

So if my "Reps" are tired?....they need to suck it up and have my back, do their "job" and process our grievances, because I am doing "two jobs" to their one....and they work for me and not the Company?

Here's what I don't get though.

I can see your Local being useless, not backing you and getting nowhere locally.

But I know 2 guys that sit on that State Panel, and they won't take crap from any Labor Manager.

So what's happening at the Panels?

F

Frankie's Friend

Nope, just a quick way to give him credit for the notion that none of this will impact the drivers pay so it didn't look like I was trying to take credit for it.

And please, everyone knows you have no friends... :)

(fill disclosure, neither do I)
How did Bubblehead's name get on that post when I posted it?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

Here's what I don't get though.

I can see your Local being useless, not backing you and getting nowhere locally.

But I know 2 guys that sit on that State Panel, and they won't take crap from any Labor Manager.

So what's happening at the Panels?
There's two rooms. Two co-chairs.
When someone's case gets put into the right room with the right people life is good.
When other cases are continuously put into the room where his LM and the chair are buddies things are not so great.
You figure it out.

Many folks understand what he's talking about.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Not a single person runs underallowed anymore in this center.
The electronic records on the computer will accurately track two drivers with one route but the Over/Under daily printout does not. So we know at least one sheet of paper that is used almost daily to grind up drivers is inaccurate.