Management found a new loophole..

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The only metric saved here is drtp- different route than planned. Makes it look like all the work assigned to the route was delivered by that route, because both diads have the same route id. Also easier and faster for the drivers to exchange packages. It’s a futile internal measurement for the dispatcher. The dispatcher puts the “right” work on the car, only to have the pm supervisor override that by sending help. It’s nothing new- it’s been done for years. Doesn’t impact driver pay, or center spc-stops per car, because the driver was already on road. It’s not a driver issue at all. It is a management dispatch/accountability issue. For a driver- nothing to see here.
What scenario are you referring too (since you quoted nobody), as there have been several suggested in the 139 posts in this thread since its inception?

Certainly couldn't be the most recent hypotheticals, as your explanation would make no sense at all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The pkgs do not belong to ups. They belong to the shipper. Get a grip. His bid described area is his area. Seniority has to mean something today.

If I read this right (139 posts ago) the dude was wondering if there was a a pkg not sheeted and stolen, rolled, or stolen out of if it could possibly come back on him since it was still in his edd, not transferred.

Transferring and counting the pkgs transferred afterwards in this day and age is good insurance for the original driver and the second driver as well.

No one likes to be accused of dishonesty if they are honest and that's a virtue in short supply today.
....especially when the "flavor of the month" is DNED, Destination Not Equal to D____ (don't remember the last "D" in the acronym).

If we are to be held accountable for our dispatch, we need that control over our dispatch.

If the PDS and Center Team can't get their heads together, it should not be made my problem in the form of additional personal liability.

UPSER1987

The pkgs do not belong to ups. They belong to the shipper. Get a grip. His bid described area is his area. Seniority has to mean something today.

If I read this right (139 posts ago) the dude was wondering if there was a a pkg not sheeted and stolen, rolled, or stolen out of if it could possibly come back on him since it was still in his edd, not transferred.

Transferring and counting the pkgs transferred afterwards in this day and age is good insurance for the original driver and the second driver as well.

No one likes to be accused of dishonesty if they are honest and that's a virtue in short supply today.

I stand corrected. The packages are the shippers that ups is being paid to deliver. I disagree about the route. That was won by seniority - nothing more nothing less. The route wasn’t purchased. If he damages property or has an accident on his bid area, is he paying repairs out of his pocket? It’s “his” route.

Transferring packages ensures nothing. Customers claim non receipt of packages everyday.

UPSER1987

It is absolutely a wasted effort in your above proposed scenario, because the Company was just duped by a dishonest supervisor who was trying to hide their shortcomings in order to provide a false metric....likely stops per car in this instance.

The metric impacted is drtp- different route than planned. This scenario has no impact on stops per car.

....especially when the "flavor of the month" is DNED, Destination Not Equal to D____ (don't remember the last "D" in the acronym).

If we are to be held accountable for our dispatch, we need that control over our dispatch.

If the PDS and Center Team can't get their heads together, it should not be made my problem in the form of additional personal liability.

DNED = Destination not equal to delivery.

I agree that the PDS and center team need to be held accountable for dispatch. The OP made no mention of personal liability for drtp, dneds or claims.

RolloTony Brown Town

Do it enough and it might make the Center Team eligible for a bigger piece when they are doling out the annual MIP bonuses.

There is no bigger piece of MIP for anyone in differing centers. Your individual performance will not make you get more MIP than a guy in a neighboring facility or package division. Just want to clear that up.

brownIEman

The problem with this analogy is that it isn't really your house.....or your TV to give away.

From a drivers perspective, the supervisor is the representative of the company and absolutely owns the house and TV. From the supervisor's perspective, it is the manager, from the manager's perspective, it is division manager, then the ops manager, district manager, etc. If everyone along the chain is aware of the house keeping used in certain out of the ordinary scenarios as we are discussing, then there is no attempted dishonesty and yes, indeed, the company in fact gave away it's TV.

It is absolutely a wasted effort in your above proposed scenario, because the Company was just duped by a dishonest supervisor who was trying to hide their shortcomings in order to provide a false metric....likely stops per car in this instance.

It's no different than a driver padding their miles, pickup pieces, or over 70's to look better on paper....which is also blatant dishonesty.

Do it enough and it might make the Center Team eligible for a bigger piece when they are doling out the annual MIP bonuses.

It is completely different from padding miles or pickups or >70's. Unless the driver in your scenario is doing those things with the approval of his On Road, who has the approval of the Center Manager, who has the approval of the Division Manager, etc., etc..

On the MIP, just No. I could have tried it a billion, billion, billion times to help improve my SPC metric, or Destination Not Equal to Delivery, or Different route than plan, or whatever metric I wanted to improve and I would not have won myself one red cent more in MIP. The MIP factor is determined by the steering committee, or management committee, or whoever in Atlanta based on the performance of the company, then that factor is applied to EVERY MIP eligible management person. This year, if I am reading the MIP thread correctly in the partner forum, FT supervisors will get about just slightly more than 2 months salary in MIP, managers, just above 4 Months. Every supervisor, and every manager eligible gets the same. The centers that did time-card merges billions of times this year, and the ones that did not do a single one. The IE supervisors and managers who rocked their numbers, and the ones who tanked. The Labor department management who stood firm for the company, and the ones that bent over like a $2 whore and agreed to allow drivers proven to have padded their miles and pickup pieces back on the job with time served.
Once the factor is determined, everyone gets the same factor, regardless of individual center performance.
Which part of this are you not understanding? I am more than happy to explain it in greater detail.

F

Frankie's Friend

I stand corrected. The packages are the shippers that ups is being paid to deliver. I disagree about the route. That was won by seniority - nothing more nothing less. The route wasn’t purchased. If he damages property or has an accident on his bid area, is he paying repairs out of his pocket? It’s “his” route.

Transferring packages ensures nothing. Customers claim non receipt of packages everyday.
I believe the concern was a rolled package being blamed on the bid driver if I understood the situation correctly.

Nothing more nothing less.

brownIEman

I believe the concern was a rolled package being blamed on the bid driver if I understood the situation correctly.

Nothing more nothing less.

If a package gets rolled after management sent help with the route already in the helping drivers DIAD and the drivers were instructed to just hand off packages without a DIAD to DIAD transfer there is no way to prove which driver wound up with any individual package. There is no way a rolled package could be blamed on the bid driver (with the exception of management finding that package in his car were they to audit it when he came back to the building).

As has been stated, the ability to hold the bid driver goes down in this instance. His concern is unfounded.

F

Frankie's Friend

If a package gets rolled after management sent help with the route already in the helping drivers DIAD and the drivers were instructed to just hand off packages without a DIAD to DIAD transfer there is no way to prove which driver wound up with any individual package. There is no way a rolled package could be blamed on the bid driver (with the exception of management finding that package in his car were they to audit it when he came back to the building).

As has been stated, the ability to hold the bid driver goes down in this instance. His concern is unfounded.
You don't have to explain it to me. It's not my question. I already knew the answer so it isnt really a concern.
They can send those rabbits out to take work off me anytime.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
From a drivers perspective, the supervisor is the representative of the company and absolutely owns the house and TV. From the supervisor's perspective, it is the manager, from the manager's perspective, it is division manager, then the ops manager, district manager, etc. If everyone along the chain is aware of the house keeping used in certain out of the ordinary scenarios as we are discussing, then there is no attempted dishonesty and yes, indeed, the company in fact gave away it's TV.
No driver with half a brain follows that progression???

....much as a driver's customers perspective isn't that it is actually "my truck", or "my packages".

So, as much as it isn't my place to give away a TV from the back of my truck, it's still also not "your house or your TV" to give away....because at the end of the day all parties should know that it isn't right.
It is completely different from padding miles or pickups or >70's. Unless the driver in your scenario is doing those things with the approval of his On Road, who has the approval of the Center Manager, who has the approval of the Division Manager, etc., etc..

On the MIP, just No. I could have tried it a billion, billion, billion times to help improve my SPC metric, or Destination Not Equal to Delivery, or Different route than plan, or whatever metric I wanted to improve and I would not have won myself one red cent more in MIP. The MIP factor is determined by the steering committee, or management committee, or whoever in Atlanta based on the performance of the company, then that factor is applied to EVERY MIP eligible management person. This year, if I am reading the MIP thread correctly in the partner forum, FT supervisors will get about just slightly more than 2 months salary in MIP, managers, just above 4 Months. Every supervisor, and every manager eligible gets the same. The centers that did time-card merges billions of times this year, and the ones that did not do a single one. The IE supervisors and managers who rocked their numbers, and the ones who tanked. The Labor department management who stood firm for the company, and the ones that bent over like a $2 whore and agreed to allow drivers proven to have padded their miles and pickup pieces back on the job with time served.
Once the factor is determined, everyone gets the same factor, regardless of individual center performance.
Which part of this are you not understanding? I am more than happy to explain it in greater detail.
OK, sure???

I won't pretend to understand your management bonus systems, and from the threads in the "UPS Partners Forum", neither do you guys.

But one thing I know for sure is that all of these variables that are in play when management gets "creative" with delivery records, or out in out falsifies them (without being caught), certainly improves their position on the "Balanced Scorecard".

Distinguish yourself and/or Center Team on the "Balanced Scorecard"....and you put yourself in line for promotion, and double the MIP when you move up a level.

I understand enough to know that it isn't "your house" and combining delivery records from two different drivers into one, is dishonest and designed to further your desire to fulfill the honestly unattainable metrics, for your own personal gain.

Last edited:

RolloTony Brown Town

No driver with half a brain follows that progression???

....much as a driver's customers perspective isn't that it is actually "my truck", or "my packages".

So, as much as it isn't my place to give away a TV from the back of my truck, it's still also "your house or your TV" to give away....because at the end of the day all parties should know that it isn't right.

OK, sure???

I won't pretend to understand your management bonus systems, and from the threads in the "UPS Partners Forum", neither do you guys.

But one thing I know for sure is that all of these variables that are in play when management gets "creative" with delivery records, or out in out falsifies them, certainly improves their position on the "Balanced Scorecard".

Distinguish yourself and/or Center Team on the "Balanced Scorecard"....and you put yourself in line for promotion, and double the MIP when you move up a level.

I understand enough to know that it isn't "your house" and combining delivery records from two different drivers into one, is dishonest and designed to further your desire to fulfill the honestly unattainable metrics, for your own personal gain.

The supervisor isn’t combining 2 timecards into 1. The supervisor is getting edd for an entire route so when the driver meets they don’t have to transfer edd. Both drivers are being compensated for delivering packages. Both drivers show as drivers in tomorrow’s reports. Literally the only thing the supervisor is doing is taking a step out of the pm dispatch process. Makes for a hassle with the driver trying to remember but he gave for areas but not an integrity issue. Some serious confusion going on here it seems.

F

Frankie's Friend

babyshakehead.gif
Makes for a hassle with the driver trying to remember but he gave for areas but not an integrity issue. Some serious confusion going on here it seems.
How could anyone be confused after reading your statement?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The supervisor isn’t combining 2 timecards into 1. The supervisor is getting edd for an entire route so when the driver meets they don’t have to transfer edd. Both drivers are being compensated for delivering packages. Both drivers show as drivers in tomorrow’s reports. Literally the only thing the supervisor is doing is taking a step out of the pm dispatch process. Makes for a hassle with the driver trying to remember but he gave for areas but not an integrity issue. Some serious confusion going on here it seems.
@RolloTony Brown Town this thread is 150+ posts deep and I am speaking with @brownIEman about a tangent scenario.

I understand your confusion and don't blame you if you don't want to go back to catch up.

The "Cliffs Notes" version is that @brownIEman thinks that UPS is his house and that he is empowered to give away any TV he comes across.

RolloTony Brown Town

@RolloTony Brown Town this thread is 150+ posts deep and I am speaking with @brownIEman about a tangent scenario.

I understand your confusion and don't blame you if you don't want to go back to catch up.

The "Cliffs Notes" version is that @brownIEman thinks that UPS is his house and that he is empowered to give away any TV he comes across.

I did lose track of the side bar conversation. In your scenario (originally mytripiscut) the driver is not stealing anything because he isn’t the one that merged the timecards and made it so he bonus’d. The supervisor is making a phony metric (spc namely) that does nothing to save himself a headache (running too many drivers) but in turn giving away free money to do it which in turn hurts overall MIP factors (operating leverage)

Supervisor in this scenario is a bonehead. You’d think they would be more cognizant of working in a bonus center and how they work.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I did lose track of the side bar conversation. In your scenario (originally mytripiscut) the driver is not stealing anything because he isn’t the one that merged the timecards and made it so he bonus’d. The supervisor is making a phony metric (spc namely) that does nothing to save himself a headache (running too many drivers) but in turn giving away free money to do it which in turn hurts overall MIP factors (operating leverage)

Supervisor in this scenario is a bonehead. You’d think they would be more cognizant of working in a bonus center and how they work.
So if a supervisor told me to take home an unlabeled package containing a cellphone, and I did

....is it your contention that I have no culpability when Loss Prevention gets wise???

Also, what happens when the second undocumented driver takes out a mailbox without reporting it, and is subsequently called in by the home owner???

F

Frankie's Friend

So if a supervisor told me to take home an unlabeled package containing a cellphone, and I did

....is it your contention that I have no culpability when Loss Prevention gets wise???

Also, what happens when the second undocumented driver takes out a mailbox without reporting it, and is subsequently called in by the home owner???
GPS

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not to add to the tangent scenario I threw into this thread, but......
When my scenario is in play the safety committee driver or shuttle driver is instructed to not input a car number into the Diad. With one name in two boards, the center would be hit with a lot of bulk head events and recording in travel/while idling. Lol.

F

Frankie's Friend

Not to add to the tangent scenario I threw into this thread, but......
When my scenario is in play the safety committee driver or shuttle driver is instructed to not input a car number into the Diad. With one name in two boards, the center would be hit with a lot of bulk head events and recording in travel/while idling. Lol.
Seatbelts?