Management hours

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I had to do the same. Also, if you work anything over during the week, make sure you are working the full 5.5 of your scheduled shift. If you take a day off that week, make sure it's actually coded as a d-day. While I was still a PT sup, my boss would just code me as a 'scheduled off' and would basically nullify 5.5 hours of doubles I did that week. She didn't realize it would do that, nor did she believe it. I literally had to draw a picture and use a calculator. I then got an "Oh....that's messed up." Yeah.

See, to me at least, guarantee means it's guaranteed. No less. If I work 4 hours all week long, I get 27.5. If I work 5 hours each day, I get 27.5. If I work 8 hours on another shift, I expect to see exactly 8 hours worth more of pay....because the other 27.5 was GUARANTEED. I didn't guarantee anyone that I would be able to work extra shifts whenever they needed it, but I did. I shouldn't LOSE money from my extra efforts because my scheduled shift ran short/fast/efficiently. All I did after I figured out how this whole system worked was sit my ass around and find random things to do to make sure I got every bit of my overtime as I should have...I encourage my PT sups to do the same. Too long did I work a couple extra hours here and there and felt like it was charity.

Silly, but the trick is just knowing how to make it work for you...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had to do the same. Also, if you work anything over during the week, make sure you are working the full 5.5 of your scheduled shift. If you take a day off that week, make sure it's actually coded as a d-day. While I was still a PT sup, my boss would just code me as a 'scheduled off' and would basically nullify 5.5 hours of doubles I did that week. She didn't realize it would do that, nor did she believe it. I literally had to draw a picture and use a calculator. I then got an "Oh....that's messed up." Yeah.

See, to me at least, guarantee means it's guaranteed. No less. If I work 4 hours all week long, I get 27.5. If I work 5 hours each day, I get 27.5. If I work 8 hours on another shift, I expect to see exactly 8 hours worth more of pay....because the other 27.5 was GUARANTEED. I didn't guarantee anyone that I would be able to work extra shifts whenever they needed it, but I did. I shouldn't LOSE money from my extra efforts because my scheduled shift ran short/fast/efficiently. All I did after I figured out how this whole system worked was sit my ass around and find random things to do to make sure I got every bit of my overtime as I should have...I encourage my PT sups to do the same. Too long did I work a couple extra hours here and there and felt like it was charity.

Silly, but the trick is just knowing how to make it work for you...

I always took pride in working the system.
​I wasn't the best but I held my own.

CharleyHustle

I know why there is a need for an accurate number - and, if there is such a need, then let the guys who actually get the right information (PDS, drivers) do their job. Instead, that's not how this company operates (at least, in my experience).

edit: You could ask your PDS; before I left, I helped draw up the DOP for July 5/8, and they were based on closed numbers taken from IE - now, because of the way this company operates, when that number turns out to be wrong, the staffing will be off (because that is obviously based on volume) and soups will probably wind up working, which means grievances, which means that the rift between hourly/management will only be perpetuated. It is scientific management gone very, very wrong.

If that includes driving a package car, as of July 1st they need to make sure they have a 30min consecutive rest period in before 8 hours.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I know why there is a need for an accurate number - and, if there is such a need, then let the guys who actually get the right information (PDS, drivers) do their job. Instead, that's not how this company operates (at least, in my experience).

edit: You could ask your PDS; before I left, I helped draw up the DOP for July 5/8, and they were based on closed numbers taken from IE - now, because of the way this company operates, when that number turns out to be wrong, the staffing will be off (because that is obviously based on volume) and soups will probably wind up working, which means grievances, which means that the rift between hourly/management will only be perpetuated. It is scientific management gone very, very wrong.

I almost made the plan....and no supervisors worked I made sure of that.

curiousbrain

I almost made the plan....and no supervisors worked I made sure of that.

I used to scan the SurePost stuff that was linked to the ULD tag(s); it's a few hundred boxes with only one or two scans. On more than one occasion, it put me over the top.

dudebro

Which is why smart drivers never admit to any known holiday closures in the first place. Why bother? The liars at IE will just ignore the facts and plug in whatever made-up numbers they want to in order to support staffing decisions that they have already made, so why provide them with information that will allow them to justify even more cuts? As it stands right now, every route that we dispatch on Friday July 5th of this year is going to be a 13-hour abortion car with absolutely no hope of getting done. If a route does go out the door with 3 or 4 hours worth of "work" that should have been pulled off as holiday closures, at least it will be available to help the guys who are dead and buried the moment they clock on. I am normally not a fan of dishonesty but sometimes you have no choice but to lie to dishonest/stupid people in order to trick them into doing the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Um...I'm an IE guy, in transportation but I had package for years. The reason we use historical data, is EXACTLY what you just said - the "drivers who think they're smart" will intentionally withhold information. There's a narrative on here that the honorable driver knows best and will always provide perfect information because he or she is out there every day.

Like any group of people, some do, some don't. It's funny that in two sentences, the "smart" driver intentionally withholds information, but the IE GUY is the liar.

oldngray

nowhere special
Which is why smart drivers never admit to any known holiday closures in the first place. Why bother? The liars at IE will just ignore the facts and plug in whatever made-up numbers they want to in order to support staffing decisions that they have already made, so why provide them with information that will allow them to justify even more cuts? As it stands right now, every route that we dispatch on Friday July 5th of this year is going to be a 13-hour abortion car with absolutely no hope of getting done. If a route does go out the door with 3 or 4 hours worth of "work" that should have been pulled off as holiday closures, at least it will be available to help the guys who are dead and buried the moment they clock on. I am normally not a fan of dishonesty but sometimes you have no choice but to lie to dishonest/stupid people in order to trick them into doing the right thing.

"Um...I'm an IE guy, in transportation but I had package for years. The reason we use historical data, is EXACTLY what you just said - the "drivers who think they're smart" will intentionally withhold information. There's a narrative on here that the honorable driver knows best and will always provide perfect information because he or she is out there every day.

Like any group of people, some do, some don't. It's funny that in two sentences, the "smart" driver intentionally withholds information, but the IE GUY is the liar.[/QUOTE]"

You just proved everyone else's point. You admit IE does whatever they want and ignore the driver's inputs as to known closed. Then why have the drivers waste their time submitting known closed lists anyway? And historical figures can be very unreliable but I am sure IE prefers to use that instead of information from people who work in the real world.

TxRoadDawg

Historical data MAY, and I'm being generous saying MAY, work for static holidays that always fall under the same circumstances ie Thanksgiving. try that with holidays that rotate days and Ill trust a driver saying this place is closed a helluva lot more than a pencil pusher in a corporate cubicle 800 miles away guessing.

stink219

This year it appears management in my area on average is working less hours than any other year I can recall - significantly less than say 10 years ago. TI see it at all levels from ops manager down. It seems as if the badge of working long hours is no longer valued or respected. Funny thing, the packages are still getting delivered.
So your saying that management is working less and packages are still getting delivered? Hmmmm. I bet you that profits will be up too. Wonder why...

TxRoadDawg

So your saying that management is working less and packages are still getting delivered? Hmmmm. I bet you that profits will be up too. Wonder why...

because its easier to screw over lower end management with higher costs for health care and a 1.5% raise since never have i yet met anyone not rated needs improvement on the qpr.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Um...I'm an IE guy, in transportation but I had package for years. The reason we use historical data, is EXACTLY what you just said - the "drivers who think they're smart" will intentionally withhold information. There's a narrative on here that the honorable driver knows best and will always provide perfect information because he or she is out there every day.

Like any group of people, some do, some don't. It's funny that in two sentences, the "smart" driver intentionally withholds information, but the IE GUY is the liar.

Back when I had a heavy industrial route, you know what happened when I witheld information on known closures? I would wind up with about 2 hours worth of closed business stops loaded on the car that I could pull over and scan as "closed holiday" in about 15 minutes.

One of two things inevitably happened with the hour and 45 minutes of "free" time thus gained. I would either (A) still have around 11 hours worth of actual stops left to do because of the liar/idiot from IE demanding that the plan be so heavily overdispatched, or (B) I would only have about 9 hours worth of actual stops left and would wind up taking 2 hours worth of stops off of another driver who would otherwise have been out delivering until 10:00 at night because of the liar/idiot at IE demanding that the plan be so heavily overdispatched. My "dishonesty" about known closures was never about trying to get home early, for I knew that to be an impossibility. It was merely a survival tactic to try and minimize the number of service failures that would otherwise be caused by incompetent dispatching. Do you want us to be honest and cooperative with you about reporting known closures? Ok, then try being cooperative and honest with us instead of bending us over and fu**ing us to death with your idiotic "plans" every holiday. Its dispataching, not rocket science. You guys have all the information you need to make the correct dispatch decisions during holidays, you just dont have enough common sense or integrity to use it.