Management in Browns

upsgrunt

the contract, or at least the local 804 supplement, says that the pace of work will be at the company's discretion. i do not remember the wording verbatim, but it gives the company the right to say what "fair day's work" is.

unfortuately, too many teamsters take advantage of, and skew the reasons why labor unions are around in the first place. at the night sort in my hub, teamsters constantly no-call and call-in (4 day weekends), and think there is nothing wrong with that because of their union protection. the discipline process is a joke, and it takes 12 months for someone to get fired over that kind of behavior (which all of us should realize is wrong, because, after all, this is a business). would you hire a teamster like that if you owned a business? probably not. you'd want reliable people that you can count on showing up to work.

let's be honest here. an employee is supposed to notify a supervisor 2 hours prior to start time that they aren't coming to work so we can try and find double shifter's to do the work. at my hub, we're lucky if they call 5 minutes before the start of their shift because they usually don't call ar all (see above paragraph if you are going to bitch about supervisors holding people accountable). does that give me any time to get someone into work, realistically? am i really going to bend over backwards to obide by the contract when i'm getting **** on and sodomized by teamsters? i will work when i have to work until the teamsters stop their bull**** protection of employees who don't come to work. are the stewards that stupid that they would rather fight with magagement for the sake of fighting, rather than being pissed off at their own teamsters for screwing them out of pension credits?

this is a business, and sups have to do what they have to do to get the packages out when teamsters don't show up for work. we can't just keep hiring people every week and end up with 100 people on the schedule just to hope that some people show up. that is NOT how to run a business. the teamsters make more work for themselves by accepting the behavior of their members. they believe they are being good brothers and sisters when they are sticking it in their own asses.

also, stop crying about UPS stock. it's clear that none of you knows anything about the subject. FREE CASH FLOW is what allows UPS to expand and innovate. They don't do this by decreasing earnings. Such things have to be cleared by shareholders. CEO's and the like do not just do whatever they want without shareholder approval. If they did, that would be a major, illegal SEC violation. UPS stock is considered one of the best income-investor stocks to buy for a reason. You need to stop thinking you know everything about UPS stock just because you work for them. Give me my 10% off the purchase of stock, along with dividends, and years of compunding....and I will be one happy person 30 years from now even if the stock never goes past $85

So nobody else knows anything about the stock except you. Why be so humble? Why didn't you choose the name "great and powerful Oz" as your screen name?

mathematics

So nobody else knows anything about the stock except you. Why be so humble? Why didn't you choose the name "great and powerful Oz" as your screen name?

i don't believe i've read anything intelligent on this forum about stocks. i happen to have a mathematics degree with a concentration in financial math, so i have the knowledge about stock. i was trying to give people the correct info about it, rather than have them get the info from some disgruntled employees that don't know.

area43

the contract, or at least the local 804 supplement, says that the pace of work will be at the company's discretion. i do not remember the wording verbatim, but it gives the company the right to say what "fair day's work" is.

unfortuately, too many teamsters take advantage of, and skew the reasons why labor unions are around in the first place. at the night sort in my hub, teamsters constantly no-call and call-in (4 day weekends), and think there is nothing wrong with that because of their union protection. the discipline process is a joke, and it takes 12 months for someone to get fired over that kind of behavior (which all of us should realize is wrong, because, after all, this is a business). would you hire a teamster like that if you owned a business? probably not. you'd want reliable people that you can count on showing up to work.

let's be honest here. an employee is supposed to notify a supervisor 2 hours prior to start time that they aren't coming to work so we can try and find double shifter's to do the work. at my hub, we're lucky if they call 5 minutes before the start of their shift because they usually don't call ar all (see above paragraph if you are going to bitch about supervisors holding people accountable). does that give me any time to get someone into work, realistically? am i really going to bend over backwards to obide by the contract when i'm getting **** on and sodomized by teamsters? i will work when i have to work until the teamsters stop their bull**** protection of employees who don't come to work. are the stewards that stupid that they would rather fight with magagement for the sake of fighting, rather than being pissed off at their own teamsters for screwing them out of pension credits?

this is a business, and sups have to do what they have to do to get the packages out when teamsters don't show up for work. we can't just keep hiring people every week and end up with 100 people on the schedule just to hope that some people show up. that is NOT how to run a business. the teamsters make more work for themselves by accepting the behavior of their members. they believe they are being good brothers and sisters when they are sticking it in their own asses.

also, stop crying about UPS stock. it's clear that none of you knows anything about the subject. FREE CASH FLOW is what allows UPS to expand and innovate. They don't do this by decreasing earnings. Such things have to be cleared by shareholders. CEO's and the like do not just do whatever they want without shareholder approval. If they did, that would be a major, illegal SEC violation. UPS stock is considered one of the best income-investor stocks to buy for a reason. You need to stop thinking you know everything about UPS stock just because you work for them. Give me my 10% off the purchase of stock, along with dividends, and years of compunding....and I will be one happy person 30 years from now even if the stock never goes past $85

Hmmm, to sum it all up. Are you trying to say our great founder, Jim Casey was an idiot. Math, Shame on you. Its obvious you have never been a driver. Its obivous your not out there with the customer. A pure shame. Jim would have you fired. Damm, Bean counter.

Rafterman

If there is no qualified personnel around the package needs to make its commit time. That's why you see management in browns. Take a look at FedEx. Management is always in blues.

ovid

I "know" of this one hub/center that has MANY members of management rocking the Browns for months on end, on a regular basis (NOT just "peak season")... meanwhile, there are literally dozens of PT workers that are living below the poverty level, and taking the bus to work everyday, and dying for a full time job.

UPS2424

Management in browns because they will get their head kicked in if they put out the routes that should be out. Your local management would love to make things better. The district level won't let them! UPS treats all the same. Hourly to management. You never do anything right. Right?

Cezanne

I have a question from anybody from management on this site; when a supervisor is required to work a union position for whatever reason or time, is that time calculated into their operational reports. In other words, that the management team is not trying to "look good on paper" to get that perk or promotion. Would not that be considered dishonest or is it a common acceptabled practice?

area43

Again, I have said this before. Some say, that there was a perverbial gun held to the companies head when they signed the contract. Hmmmmm. Isn't that the way hard core negiotiations are all about. Kind of like Russian roulet. Who's going to flinch first or chicken out. UPS if they are so against mgt working in browns. If they are so against the poops birds, which I agree can be annoying. Why don't they hammer it out in the contract? Nationwide attendance policy. Maybe they(Br/ass) don't really want tooo. They just cant wein themself off that free (sups doing hourly) work money. They just can"t wein themself off that free lunch money(go with the software to shut board down,nationwide, NOW!!!). What amazes me is that Corporations in general are nowadays cut-throat, don't give a damm, expect loyalty from the employee,but at the same time crap on them,move to another part of the world, play hard ball so to speak,BUT when it comes to when the Unions want to play on behalf of the employees its a different story. Lets play some hard ball. Lets bite back. Companies, lets not be babies. Live by the sword. You Die by the sword. Good Riddens.

mathematics

I have a question from anybody from management on this site; when a supervisor is required to work a union position for whatever reason or time, is that time calculated into their operational reports. In other words, that the management team is not trying to "look good on paper" to get that perk or promotion. Would not that be considered dishonest or is it a common acceptabled practice?

i don't know what other supervisors do with time cards (or if hub and package have different time card systems), but I put in what's called "supworker" when i work. this doesn't skew numbers in my favor, it keeps it the same as if a union employee was doing the work. i do not work to skew numbers, i work because employees could give 2 :censored2:s about doing the right thing and coming to work. i didn't take a promotion so i could do the same thing i was doing.

mathematics

Again, I have said this before. Some say, that there was a perverbial gun held to the companies head when they signed the contract. Hmmmmm. Isn't that the way hard core negiotiations are all about. Kind of like Russian roulet. Who's going to flinch first or chicken out. UPS if they are so against mgt working in browns. If they are so against the poops birds, which I agree can be annoying. Why don't they hammer it out in the contract? Nationwide attendance policy. Maybe they(Br/ass) don't really want tooo. They just cant wein themself off that free (sups doing hourly) work money. They just can"t wein themself off that free lunch money(go with the software to shut board down,nationwide, NOW!!!). What amazes me is that Corporations in general are nowadays cut-throat, don't give a damm, expect loyalty from the employee,but at the same time crap on them,move to another part of the world, play hard ball so to speak,BUT when it comes to when the Unions want to play on behalf of the employees its a different story. Lets play some hard ball. Lets bite back. Companies, lets not be babies. Live by the sword. You Die by the sword. Good Riddens.

you don't find it sad that we need an attendance policy? if you owned a business, would you hire someone that can't be counted on to show up for work everyday (sickness and personal days aside)?

mathematics

Hmmm, to sum it all up. Are you trying to say our great founder, Jim Casey was an idiot. Math, Shame on you. Its obvious you have never been a driver. Its obivous your not out there with the customer. A pure shame. Jim would have you fired. Damm, Bean counter.

I work in the hub and have never driven. If you are used to management driving routes when people are available for the job, then you have every right to be upset. I am upset that the people that work at my hub have horriffic attendance records, and you find that wromg of me? Do YOU show up for work everyday? I have to be at work everyday (unless, of course it's a personal day or sick day). Why should teamsters be allowed to do whatever the hell they want? Blah I'm done with this conversation. Called me a bean counter, and you don't know the slightest thing about me, or my hub.

over9five

Staff member
"Why should teamsters be allowed to do whatever the hell they want?"

Mathematics, you've done nothing but whine about your people being absent so much. First, I agree with you. I hate seeing the same people out all the time. It boggles my mind that management does NOTHING about this. Have you heard of progressive discipline? Go through the process, and get rid of the losers! It will take some time, but it CAN be done.

I've never understood why the management team doesn't take the time to do this. I see it everyday, and maybe they'll "talk" to the offender, but they won't start progressive discipline. Is it still better to have a trained person show up some of the time than to have to train a new-hire? I kinda think it's favoritism. The people who brown-nose can get away with anything; the rest of us do what we're supposed to.

I don't think it's a "Teamsters" problem.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I work in the hub and have never driven. If you are used to management driving routes when people are available for the job, then you have every right to be upset. I am upset that the people that work at my hub have horriffic attendance records, and you find that wromg of me? Do YOU show up for work everyday? I have to be at work everyday (unless, of course it's a personal day or sick day). Why should teamsters be allowed to do whatever the hell they want? Blah I'm done with this conversation. Called me a bean counter, and you don't know the slightest thing about me, or my hub.
WHHHAAAAHHHH!

mathematics

"Why should teamsters be allowed to do whatever the hell they want?"

Mathematics, you've done nothing but whine about your people being absent so much. First, I agree with you. I hate seeing the same people out all the time. It boggles my mind that management does NOTHING about this. Have you heard of progressive discipline? Go through the process, and get rid of the losers! It will take some time, but it CAN be done.

I've never understood why the management team doesn't take the time to do this. I see it everyday, and maybe they'll "talk" to the offender, but they won't start progressive discipline. Is it still better to have a trained person show up some of the time than to have to train a new-hire? I kinda think it's favoritism. The people who brown-nose can get away with anything; the rest of us do what we're supposed to.

I don't think it's a "Teamsters" problem.

If it's not a Teamsters problem, then see how that would go over at a non-union shop. Still feel the same? And yes, we do follow progressive discipline, but that takes a year to get someone fired, only to have them get their job back anyway.

mathematics

WHHHAAAAHHHH!

the teamsters cry everyday on here about sups working. i give you the reason why it's done in my hub, and you say i'm whining. brilliant! that's that amazing teamster mentality. if you guys went on strike, we can still get the work done since we have to do it anyway. we'll just consider it a day where the absence is more extreme than usual. :lol:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

That's were people are making a BIG MISTAKE.

Don't look at us all as the teamsters!!! Just cause u have a jerk hugging on and stretching the game in there favor. You can't hold everyone accountable for 1 or even 20 people's actions.

It's almost a form of prejudice.

I don't look at all center manager's or Sup's as "MANAGEMENT THE ENEMY". I give all respect and know who to trust and who to keep an eye out 4.

Treat those individuals accordanly. When I screwed up last week, Lets just say I was in a rush and had an NON accident shuttle incodent I called my sup up emediatly and confided openly holding myself fully accountable. I didn't run to TEAMSTERs. I faced him like a man at the center and critisized myself for him in front of him.

It did kinda bit me in the butt thow. I said I fully expected a write up. The problem was another center manager from other center (we have 2 centers at our hub) walks in and wanted me to play the undercover snitch at airport to try and find any little excuse to get someone written up stating, that's the burden 4 getting caught, I didn't get caught I told em straught up. He wanted me to watch not just other fellow teamsters but also try and get the sup we have at airport.

The point is play fair and treat all people accordenly. I'm not a teamster if your not the evil empire.

Get past it cause if I get a manager treating me like a teamster then I'll be a "Teamster". Treat me fair and let me have some dignitty and you'll be amply rewarded.

There's alot more like me then you know. Stop using the word teamster and then you'll see. My manager's love me. They know I take pride in my work and deal with my work as it was my own business. My pride makes me a better worker and my pride holds me accountable. They aren't afraid to aproach me cause I understand CONSTRUCTIVe critcisizm.

For me to call off work or come in late is cutting into my profit margine. Understand. I'm human but don't aim for a 4 day weekend like some of these kids.

Watch it. You're gonna make it a long 30 yrs. getting stock ignorent workers grouped into one idea.

We all bust our butts to get the packages out. It takes more then a guy doing package dispatch. Somebody has to be dispatced to get those parcels out there. And we're not just joy riding either.

We all hold value and have a great responsability with this company and should have a sence of pride with dignity.

Throw your words at those 4 day weekend guys not at us all.

mathematics

Backlasher, I do appologize for grouping teamsters together. I guess I am just way too upset about what goes on in my hub. It might very well be a different environment in ohio than in NYC (where I am). I am only a part time sup with a few months of school left, and then I am leaving this hell hole of a place. I'm sure UPS in other states are a much nicer place to work.

Backlasher

you don't find it sad that we need an attendance policy? if you owned a business, would you hire someone that can't be counted on to show up for work everyday (sickness and personal days aside)?

That's right because as we all know, only UPS has an attendance policy!! No non union company has any problems or experience with slackers and late comers and no call no shows.
It's only union employee's that call off. how many beans did it take to get into this thought process.

If it is that bad at your center then I humbly appoligize on all teamster's behalf's and can beat you'd love me wether you would admitt it or not. There are some bad apple's at my end but few. It ticks me off cause when they miss the rest of us have to carry the burden not just management. My route gets split off and screwed up cause I gotta take on the other route and work it in with mine and I have nothing but air 10:30's and 8 ams so I don't have time to work the route and it puts me at risk everytime on getting lates which I can't believe I didn't get lates. I swear at end of those runs it was a miracle.

Believe me it sucks for all of us when people can't carry there own weight.
I've been stuck with a heavy spread out area of air on routes I've never been on to even phathem how to plot and no time to stair at a map but hugging that map as I race around getting it to work in areas that I've never been and no one to help cause the one who knws the route is MIA and we r short on drivers. Maybe that's why I get along with my SUP's and maybe that's why my back is killing me.

Give it up.

Backlasher

Backlasher, I do appologize for grouping teamsters together. I guess I am just way too upset about what goes on in my hub. It might very well be a different environment in ohio than in NYC (where I am). I am only a part time sup with a few months of school left, and then I am leaving this hell hole of a place. I'm sure UPS in other states are a much nicer place to work.

My appology back cause I usually don't speak my mind like that and didn't intend to lash but I did. I should probably change my name, only kept it cause it was my screen name way back in the lan line days gaming on the Doom before the internet even was a thought outside the military, LOL.

I believe in harmony. We just all need to stay in sink and hopefully the bad fruit will fall off the tree sooner or later. LoL.

I see we're your coming from as well, it's just distructive to get caught up in that mindset even if it's easy to do when stressed and it degrades us all. I'm prode to were the brown but wish more people would get in harmony.

Things could be so much better at UPS if we all had a better understanding and kept our minds open to the other. I need to understand managements perspective just as much as management needs to see us drivers. It's like we need to take the five seeing habits into a broader perspective and not just into driven or managing. That's when we will all see "The Big Picture".:thumbup1:

If we all pulled the rope together we could go so much farther.

Last edited:

mathematics

That's right because as we all know, only UPS has an attendance policy!! No non union company has any problems or experience with slackers and late comers and no call no shows.
It's only union employee's that call off. how many beans did it take to get into this thought process.

If it is that bad at your center then I humbly appoligize on all teamster's behalf's and can beat you'd love me wether you would admitt it or not. There are some bad apple's at my end but few. It ticks me off cause when they miss the rest of us have to carry the burden not just management. My route gets split off and screwed up cause I gotta take on the other route and work it in with mine and I have nothing but air 10:30's and 8 ams so I don't have time to work the route and it puts me at risk everytime on getting lates which I can't believe I didn't get lates. I swear at end of those runs it was a miracle.

Believe me it sucks for all of us when people can't carry there own weight.
I've been stuck with a heavy spread out area of air on routes I've never been on to even phathem how to plot and no time to stair at a map but hugging that map as I race around getting it to work in areas that I've never been and no one to help cause the one who knws the route is MIA and we r short on drivers. Maybe that's why I get along with my SUP's and maybe that's why my back is killing me.

Give it up.

I'm not in a center because i work in the hub with the package slingers (not meant to be deragatory). the hub and centers are two totally different animals. i work in small sort where i am planned to work a certain amount of workers each day. this past friday, on a staffing of 32 available people, 10 did not show up for me. pretty annoying when it happens all the time and discipline gets done and i have nothing to show for it because they are still with us with the same behavior.