Management with Degrees Leaving

MassWineGuy

According to one of our Management Committee members and her exact words "... Our Brand is our # One asset".

Well now. Doesn't THAT speak volumes.

As to Dave's comment, I definitely agree. Education at whatever level is, IMHO, always worthwhile. I have two degrees and I tell people I meet at FedEx and those I met at UPS that some of the absolute brightest people I know decided that they didn't want or need to attend college. On the other hand, some of the stupidest people I've ever seen were those I met in college.

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Even rectal thermometers have degrees

I fully disagree with Dave here; a degree is not a finite measurement of one's ability -- there are plenty of people without degrees with high intelligence that have taken the initiative to learn on their own, and there are plenty of people with degrees that are unable to digest the knowledge/apply it to real world situations -- but in general, people with solid education backgrounds typically make better, more informed decisions than those without.

For example... our Preload has eight irregular trains but has been struggling to get irregs down "on time." An educated manager would search for the constraint --is it a capacity issue? Probably not since each train spends vast amounts of idle time. So it's probably a bottleneck... perhaps the fact that a large number of pieces need to be d-capped, and that's a time consuming process (previously they were dropped off at a clerk station, but management frowns upon it)... additionally, the line-up changed and one belt's cars block the trains, thus requiring the pieces to be manually carted, again a time consuming process. So what does the Preload manager do? She orders two more irreg trains!!! Capacity is not the issue so it's going to worsen the problem. But I'll bring some popcorn in and enjoy the show :).

As management theories advance, there's a reason why companies like CVS, etc. -- which use to promote from within -- will only consider college grads for managerial positions. UPS isn't there yet but probably one day will be.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I fully disagree with Dave here; a degree is not a finite measurement of one's ability -- there are plenty of people without degrees with high intelligence that have taken the initiative to learn on their own, and there are plenty of people with degrees that are unable to digest the knowledge/apply it to real world situations -- but in general, people with solid education backgrounds typically make better, more informed decisions than those without.

For example... our Preload has eight irregular trains but has been struggling to get irregs down "on time." An educated manager would search for the constraint --is it a capacity issue? Probably not since each train spends vast amounts of idle time. So it's probably a bottleneck... perhaps the fact that a large number of pieces need to be d-capped, and that's a time consuming process (previously they were dropped off at a clerk station, but management frowns upon it)... additionally, the line-up changed and one belt's cars block the trains, thus requiring the pieces to be manually carted, again a time consuming process. So what does the Preload manager do? She orders two more irreg trains!!! Capacity is not the issue so it's going to worsen the problem. But I'll bring some popcorn in and enjoy the show :).

As management theories advance, there's a reason why companies like CVS, etc. -- which use to promote from within -- will only consider college grads for managerial positions. UPS isn't there yet but probably one day will be.
Could be wrong, but I think UPS is there now. Requiring degrees is a lazy way to screen applicants IMHO. I read last week that our new corporate IE manager majored in Finance. Isn't that proof that individual drive, individual skill, and self development are more important than a degree?

PT Car Washer

The Preload manager in my building would just threaten to fire people and order the PT sups to do the work. The is about the extent of his higher learning.

OPPORTUNITIES, YOU will see a ton of discouraged male management leave in the next 5 years. Especially if they are under the new retirement plan. Female employees basically get promoted 2 to 3 times faster. It sucks when half of my department reports to someone they trained only a few years ago. Average New female manager been with ups 3 to 8 years most males 15 to 20. You want to kill a business cut the the throats of talented 30 to 45 year old males for the early 30's females thAt will have 3 kids a quit when their husband gets promoted.

Bottom rung

OPPORTUNITIES, YOU will see a ton of discouraged male management leave in the next 5 years. Especially if they are under the new retirement plan. Female employees basically get promoted 2 to 3 times faster. It sucks when half of my department reports to someone they trained only a few years ago. Average New female manager been with ups 3 to 8 years most males 15 to 20. You want to kill a business cut the the throats of talented 30 to 45 year old males for the early 30's females thAt will have 3 kids a quit when their husband gets promoted.
Where I'm at the males have the power but the females make this place run and will never be promoted because of that. We've also had a few supes with degrees leave in the last couple years, after being promised the world.

Where I'm at the males have the power but the females make this place run and will never be promoted because of that. We've also had a few supes with degrees leave in the last couple years, after being promised the world.
You must be in a center. I'm speaking more about staff positions. They should have more females in the centers, they tend to be better with infants than men so they should be great handling 50 or 60 of them......

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Could be wrong, but I think UPS is there now. Requiring degrees is a lazy way to screen applicants IMHO. I read last week that our new corporate IE manager majored in Finance. Isn't that proof that individual drive, individual skill, and self development are more important than a degree?
Had a driver recently go management but lacked some hours for thier degree. Upper management agreed to allow this person to cross over under the stipulation they got thier degree. The degree has absolutely nothing to do with thier job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh and BTW, had a management toss thier resignation letter in recently, last day will be sometime before Thanksgiving. This person used to be a driver FWIW.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Had a driver recently go management but lacked some hours for thier degree. Upper management agreed to allow this person to cross over under the stipulation they got thier degree. The degree has absolutely nothing to do with thier job.
Ah yes, the "they promised to get their degree <wink><wink>" trick. That's a classic.