Mandated Lunches

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My last 15 years or so in feeders, I never took an hour meal. Every 3 months or so management would put a memo out by the turn in that you MUST take an hour meal, or else. The dispatcher had the final word to waive the hour meal rule or not. If there were service commitment issues, or in my case, tractor scheduling problems, it was to the companys' benefit to have me work straight thru. (the driver I shared with got our tractor at his start time, no waiting, and I got to go home after a 10 or 11 hour day. Since I retired, the DOT has mandated the 30 minute rule, and I don't think there is any way around that.

My last 15 years or so in feeders, I never took an hour meal. Every 3 months or so management would put a memo out by the turn in that you MUST take an hour meal, or else. The dispatcher had the final word to waive the hour meal rule or not. If there were service commitment issues, or in my case, tractor scheduling problems, it was to the companys' benefit to have me work straight thru. (the driver I shared with got our tractor at his start time, no waiting, and I got to go home after a 10 or 11 hour day. Since I retired, the DOT has mandated the 30 minute rule, and I don't think there is any way around that.
You do need some kind of a break. Very distracting when you are hungry and tired.

Need a little time to stretch and unwind.

DOK

More than that are skipping lunch and working for free before start time in bonus centers!!
Very few work for free before start times here and are still able to make up their skipped lunch. 90% of the routes you can do this on, the other 10% are for the low seniority guys paying their dues.

By The Book

Very few work for free before start times here and are still able to make up their skipped lunch. 90% of the routes you can do this on, the other 10% are for the low seniority guys paying their dues.
How do you make up for a skipped lunch? Are you saying if a driver gives up 30 minutes he will bonus by 30 minutes? Are you saying on 90% of the routes you can bonus on by taking your full lunch and you breaks, if that's the case when they tighten the screws on the allowances your drivers basically did that to themselves.

DOK

How do you make up for a skipped lunch? Are you saying if a driver gives up 30 minutes he will bonus by 30 minutes? Are you saying on 90% of the routes you can bonus on by taking your full lunch and you breaks, if that's the case when they tighten the screws on the allowances your drivers basically did that to themselves.

If you took your full hour lunch and 10 min break you'd come in even or a little over or under, so skipping your lunch would get you an hour bonus. Our center average is 15 over.

By The Book

If you took your full hour lunch and 10 min break you'd come in even or a little over or under, so skipping your lunch would get you an hour bonus. Our center average is 15 over.
Maybe the more the drivers give up lunch and show an hour early the more the company will think there's some fat and we need to trim it.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I've often considered filling on drivers skipping lunches for that reason. It's not about the bonus (which it really isn't and shouldn't be called that) at all. It's about the fact that they are causing routes to get cut in the long run and are jacking up the dispatches for the routes that aren't cut. Not to mention the jealousy that comes with a center being a "bonus" center. The bonus babies in my center are constantly crying about other drivers getting more miles than them and losing their easy stops. It's truly pathetic.

You're kidding yourself if, you think lunch skippers play a factor in the "stops per car" metric.

Paid days are of no concern. 85% ORION trace and first stop compliance are what's truly important.

File and win. It won't change the system.

Lunch skippers have existed since, forever. They'll throw you a couple dollars, if they have to. They'll still profit.

In the end, does anything change?

Overpaid Union Thug

You're kidding yourself if, you think lunch skippers play a factor in the "stops per car" metric.

Oh but they do. The more work drivers in a center can collectively get done in less time the higher the stops per car is.

Paid days are of no concern. 85% ORION trace and first stop compliance are what's truly important.

We have been on ORION for most of the year now and compliance for trace percentage and first stops hasn't been mentioned in months.

File and win. It won't change the system.

Lunch skippers have existed since, forever. They'll throw you a couple dollars, if they have to. They'll still profit.

In the end, does anything change?

Bringing unwanted attention down on a center manager usually forces their hand.