Mandatory use of Diad Clips and Pouches

DS

Fenderbender
$350 was put out there sarcastically. $2k is pretty close to what I understand the price of a D4 to be.
Diad 5 is on the way,this time with a replaceable battery like diad 3.Diad 4 will be phased out over the next 5 years.
2 grand? come on,well my first computer 10 years ago cost about $1500 and is worth about 27 cents now.
So with that in perspective,the diad 5 with NO shift key,and a camera to boot,may cost around $700 to make (just a guess there)
Made in Mexico with Chinese parts.

BrownArmy

I started with the clip, now it's just part of my habits. It's great, I'd feel naked without it. If you put the clip in just the right spot, the DIAD won't swing back and forth when you walk. Makes me feel like a gunslinger...

Haven't heard any noise here about mandatory usage of the clip...in my mind, that would definitely fall under the 'goofy' category...

DIAD V will come, and then DIAD IV's will be used as helper boards.

Time marches on.

DiadDude

Price and value are 2 completely different things. I never said a D4 was worth $2k but simply that it was in that ballpark pricewise. Now that quoted price is for the D4 as well as a multi-year warranty. The warranty was actually a very large portion of that price. In this case, value vs replacement cost would be very different.

Compensating the company for the value of a lost D4 would require me to know the current book value of the device (after depreciation) and the remaining time on the warranty to pro-rate the cost.

Paying for the replacement of a D4 would require me to pay for the full price of the hardware(since there is nowhere to buy one that isn't new) and then pay the pro-rated warranty value.

Big Babooba

For those of you who use the clip I have a little tip to make it easier to use. Take a drill or a knife and drill out or cut out the hook part so that it has a bigger gap. The bigger opening makes it easier to hook the Diad on to it. It makes a world of difference. Also if you don't wear a belt the hook will still grip your shorts and not come off your hip when you remove the Diad especially if it's drilled out. . Hope this helps
You may not realize it but you're in a lot of hot water. Destruction of UPS property is grounds for discipline up to and including discharge! The DIAD Clip Development Team in the IE Department took 3 1/2 years and spent 2.72 million dollars to come up with this design. You think that you've found something better. I'd hate to be you because you have made the whole team lose face. Somebody in IE will get their revenge on you. They will find you - you can't hide! Some day you will come to work to find that your P300 will be replaced by a P1200 and that your planned 8 hour day will consist of 497 stops and 352 pickups. You better start eating your Wheaties!!!