Massive retirements in 2013?

brett636

I've heard the same speculation from other drivers that we will have a mass exodus of retirement eligible drivers in the next year or two, but I will believe it when I see it. Although my area has been experiencing tremendous growth over the past 2 years so the wait to go driving is well under a 2 year wait, if not under a 1 year wait. A bunch of fresh retirements will only keep that going, and will move me up a few slots in seniority too boot so if your old and retirement eligible help this junior guy out and jump ship while you still can! :)

texan

The most common reason(s) I hear from drivers who stay past the date they are eligible to retire is that they are waiting for one or more of their children to either graduate high school or finish college.

Excellent reason to stay. It is sooo much money to assist with.

Minneapolis

UPS announced in 2010 that 25% of it's drivers will be eligible to retire by 2015. With the crappy economy very few have retired yet. I would bet that a lot of drivers will be jumping ship just before contract time.

j13501

Because of the changes to the NYS Pension Fund, I don't see that happening until after the next contract. Just a guess, not anything to quote.
What changes? The Upstate NY pension is one of the best in the country. Was there a reduction of benefits?

menotyou

bella amicizia
What changes? The Upstate NY pension is one of the best in the country. Was there a reduction of benefits?
So, let me get this straight, you are not aware of the January 1, 2011 changes to the pension plan for NY? Just want to get my info straight before I blister your behind with the truth.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Our center is looking at 3-4 drivers(out of 42). The main reason is that the bennies will suck in the next contract, so those that can go, are. I still have 9 more years, so I will retire at 57(new retirement age after 2013) with 39 years of service. Come on 1-21-21!!!!!!!!
what do you base your opinions on the retirement age,and state of benefits?

themidnightoil

wish that there was just ONE pension plan that covered the whole nation. heard some have 25 and out at 52 years old and others with 30 and out at any age without penalty while others can't retire until they are 57 or they take a hit of 6% for ever year they retire early. one UPS. one Union, one pension plan.

wish that there was just ONE pension plan that covered the whole nation. heard some have 25 and out at 52 years old and others with 30 and out at any age without penalty while others can't retire until they are 57 or they take a hit of 6% for ever year they retire early. one UPS. one Union, one pension plan.
We have 25 & out at 50 and 30 & out age 50 in the central region.

rod

Retired 22 years
We do the same thing.

I don't have a problem with it at all. We have more money than either daughter and can afford it. I would rather see them and pay for it, than not see them at all. That would break my heart.

Don't take me wrong----I'm not a heartless SOB------Its just that the son-in-law makes more in a year than I ever dreamed of so I don't understand why its always dear old Dad who has to dig out his billfold.

feeder05

in our redmond hub in Washington they can not fill drivers positions out of the building. They open the positions to all hubs in our local.

Don't take me wrong----I'm not a heartless SOB------Its just that the son-in-law makes more in a year than I ever dreamed of so I don't understand why its always dear old Dad who has to dig out his billfold.
It's because you know how to be smart with your money and he just doesn't care. It's a generational thing.

Logb17

Here in the west coast we have peer80. When vested years plus your age = 80, your done! I'm eligible on my 50th bday. 18 years left! Seems like on eternity..

C

chuchu

Because we always do. Because we saw them born and they own us!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Went out tonight and my daughter and her boyfriend were there. Wife asked me if We should cover their tab. I said no, they both have jobs. Apparently my overtime is easy money.