Mechanic injured

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Went to the shop once with a bad air leak on an LC, they popped the front pins and used a forklift to lift the box off the chassis just enough so that the mechanic could reach under and fix the leak. The whole time he was working I was thinking that if anything slipped he was gonna lose both arms at the elbow, it just didn't seem safe to me at all.

MaceFremonti

Went to the shop once with a bad air leak on an LC, they popped the front pins and used a forklift to lift the box off the chassis just enough so that the mechanic could reach under and fix the leak. The whole time he was working I was thinking that if anything slipped he was gonna lose both arms at the elbow, it just didn't seem safe to me at all.

I consider LCs themselves a safety hazard.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
And so what is the union going to do then? File a grievance for a jack failing? when you shouldn't be under anything without stands.

All I'm saying is the union needs to get something as simple as a life alert button. Negotiated into the contract. NO, reason to not have mechanics have any and all bases covered. Especially that they work alone and thru the night. Never said anything about a grievance. Agree about the stands if he didn't use them. Any more details out there?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
at my hub i tried to post newspaper articles of workplace accidents but was turned down.

it's one thing to talk about a potential hazard and another to read about a mechanic/driver being hurt or killed in a newspaper article.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Also remember to detach battery cables. I was changing a starter in my driveway about 20 years ago and when I was installing the new one there was a short that caused the starter to propel the truck forward knocking me to the ground. I watched the undercarriage as the truck drove over me across the street, over the curb across the neighbors lawn and into their bushes next to their house.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Also remember to detach battery cables. I was changing a starter in my driveway about 20 years ago and when I was installing the new one there was a short that caused the starter to propel the truck forward knocking me to the ground. I watched the undercarriage as the truck drove over me across the street, over the curb across the neighbors lawn and into their bushes next to their house.
This is a no brainer when doing electric work, especially a starter. With 1400 amps and a short to ground, things can get exciting in a bad way fast. Always disconnect the ground cable first. After that, the positive will not need to be disconnected.