Mechanic requirements?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first started our mechanic (Clarence) was a non-UPS contractor who loved to yell at us (drivers) for the littlest things. To be fair, he was very good at what he did, but we never knew how he would react if we had to walk down to the shop area to tell him that something was wrong with our pkg car.

DriverNerd

Wow. Here, it all gets outsourced. They used to do transmissions, engine rebuilds etc. They quit that years ago. Any kind of diagnostics are sent to the dealership asap(well sorta). Unless it's a PMI, off to the dealership. They won't work on rentals either. Our sleeper tractor is a Penske rental(all are I think). Any problem at all, you are sitting until Penske can get there. Wiper blades on up. Even if it causes missed service. To be clear: that's mgt. driven not the mechanics. See, it's that inner mgt. pissing contest between divisions. Not safety related? Write it up. It may or not get addressed. This is the way it is.

To be fair, they really shouldn't be fixing rentals as they should be fixed for free by the rental company. From all the stories I hear about other centers mechanics (not necessarily the mechanics themselves, but the shop overall), I gotta say ours must be pretty good. They have quick turn around and fix even the most complicated things fairly quickly - overnight if stuff is in stock.

quad decade guy

To be fair, they really shouldn't be fixing rentals as they should be fixed for free by the rental company. From all the stories I hear about other centers mechanics (not necessarily the mechanics themselves, but the shop overall), I gotta say ours must be pretty good. They have quick turn around and fix even the most complicated things fairly quickly - overnight if stuff is in stock.

Ok. Fair enough. However, you would think that some sort of records could be kept between UPS and rental company and compensation paid. How hard could this be? The "no fixing rentals policy" is STUPID. Especially when there are huge amounts in the fleet. I realize this is complicated and requires a level of trust between UPS and the rental co. Given that UPS doesn't even trust it's own employees and the rental co. doesn't trust UPS to bill correctly...Being an "on time network", you would think this would be important. Inner division mgt. pissing contests and pissing contests between the rental co. costs everyone lots of money in service failures. As an employee, eventually you just shrug and wait with the meter ticking.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
We can’t write “ I have other write ups that are road call or fed items that have to take priority” or “ I have a red tag that I will never hear the end about it it does not make service, will try to get to your problem tomorrow” Sometimes parts on order is a non confrontational way to put off something that can be put off. Other times it really is not in stock.

when I come in first thing I look at is my writeups and sort them in order of importance. Unfortunately a lot of times the non safety/road call items get forgotten.

quad decade guy

We can’t write “ I have other write ups that are road call or fed items that have to take priority” or “ I have a red tag that I will never hear the end about it it does not make service, will try to get to your problem tomorrow” Sometimes parts on order is a non confrontational way to put off something that can be put off. Other times it really is not in stock.

when I come in first thing I look at is my writeups and sort them in order of importance. Unfortunately a lot of times the non safety/road call items get forgotten.

I got your back Bro.
Drivers think you can just :censored2: parts.
Parts on hand are mandated by MGT.
I'm not a mechanic, but a Feeder driver.

We have some older Macks. We shut down one building and transferred the Macks to the new building. Mgt. in their infinite wisdom, returned our stockpile of older Mack parts to the vendor. Obsolete, hard to find parts of useful value(like window regulators). Stupid practices like this make me wonder how UPS survives. Just to make inventories look smaller and the numbers "look" better. And that's it really: make numbers look better.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I got your back Bro.
Drivers think you can just :censored2: parts.
Parts on hand are mandated by MGT.
I'm not a mechanic, but a Feeder driver.

We have some older Macks. We shut down one building and transferred the Macks to the new building. Mgt. in their infinite wisdom, returned our stockpile of older Mack parts to the vendor. Obsolete, hard to find parts of useful value(like window regulators). Stupid practices like this make me wonder how UPS survives. Just to make inventories look smaller and the numbers "look" better. And that's it really: make numbers look better.

Thanks, I would love to make all my trucks really nice but I can't because of time and parts. I have to chase whatever stupid thing management is pushing at the moment. Usually it's telematics and cradles and obviously PMI/LOF compliance redtags over 15 days etc.

That's typical UPS. The sad thing is somebody probably knew that those parts were needed but got rid of them anyway to check off some stupid upper management flavor of the month.

P

pickup

Ability to stretch out changing a fuse from a one minute job to a 30 minute job is also a requirement.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Thanks, I would love to make all my trucks really nice but I can't because of time and parts. I have to chase whatever stupid thing management is pushing at the moment. Usually it's telematics and cradles and obviously PMI/LOF compliance redtags over 15 days etc.

That's typical UPS. The sad thing is somebody probably knew that those parts were needed but got rid of them anyway to check off some stupid upper management flavor of the month.

I know UPS has some excellent mechanics and I apologise if my post lumped you in with the worthless ones

My experience at the shop yesterday is how it typically goes at most of the hubs I go to. My lead trailer had a broken rear glad hand. I go to the shop and the first thing the mechanic asks is if I'm pulling a set, that is followed by him asking if I can make it the rear instead of the lead. I told him I could make it the rear but since it was a bypass load going about 1,000 miles it needs to be fixed now.

The guy spent 5 minutes trying to get out of a 10 minute fix and I was the only driver at the shop.

P

pickup

I know UPS has some excellent mechanics and I apologise if my post lumped you in with the worthless ones

My experience at the shop yesterday is how it typically goes at most of the hubs I go to. My lead trailer had a broken rear glad hand. I go to the shop and the first thing the mechanic asks is if I'm pulling a set, that is followed by him asking if I can make it the rear instead of the lead. I told him I could make it the rear but since it was a bypass load going about 1,000 miles it needs to be fixed now.

The guy spent 5 minutes trying to get out of a 10 minute fix and I was the only driver at the shop.

My shop would have had you stalemated at the moment you said it was a set and the trailers could be reversed. They would have told you that if they are going to fix it , you would have to break the set down so that you can back up the trailer with the broken glad hand into a bay in the garage.

Obviously, that is more time and a little more work than just switching the trailers yourself. You'll even save more time when you realize how the conversation is going to go before hand and just switch trailers without even initiating said conversation.

P

pickup

Now if you contribute to the "Mechanics appreciation fund", (I'm not kidding, there is such a thing, we have to rip down the flyers every few years around Christmas time) , you might get better service .

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
My shop would have had you stalemated at the moment you said it was a set and the trailers could be reversed. They would have told you that if they are going to fix it , you would have to break the set down so that you can back up the trailer with the broken glad hand into a bay in the garage.

I caught it when I was connecting the dolly to my lead so I only took the trailer to the shop. It was one of those new trailers where the glad hand is right up against the bumper so it looked normal but was actually wedged in to keep it from falling out.

clean hairy

At least indecision was not around.
He might have been willing to give a glad hand!

clean hairy

Might get you hired on the spot if you tell them you. know basic Package Car body repair.
"I have my own brown paint, a brush, and a paint roller"
They may have you start instantly!