Mechanic talk

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I can name probably a dozen "problematic" areas on the 6.0 aka VT365. Then there's the 6.4 (Maxfarce).
Idk much about the newest Fird diesel, but their television commercial dure cought my attention. 900ish pounds of torque. Good lord. I think my 7.3 was 500ish. Not sure.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Idk much about the newest Fird diesel, but their television commercial dure cought my attention. 900ish pounds of torque. Good lord. I think my 7.3 was 500ish. Not sure.
500-some is the norm in stock light duty tune. They can dish out a lot more with a little tweaking.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I know the 6.7 (B20) is a common rail setup with some kind of euro-style injector tips? That's really all I know about 6.7. That, and it's not a 7.3! Haha!
Question 1. Anyone know what happens to a UPS truck when they junk it? I would like to get my hands on an intercooler/ piping, and ideally a set of AA coded injectors.
Question 2. Anyone have experience with DT466? Seems like a solid motor, I'm thinking of trying to stuff one in a pickup someday. Just for fun.

rod

Retired 22 years
How can something like the Ford Raptor V-6 put out 450 hp and 510 lb-ft torque and yet only have a 6,000 lb towing capacity? Not a very useful truck at that rate.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I drove a 2016 friend-350 Super Duty back from auction a few weeks ago.

Yes, that 900 ft/lbs is real. I could break the back wheels loose at will without really trying.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I know the 6.7 (B20) is a common rail setup with some kind of euro-style injector tips? That's really all I know about 6.7. That, and it's not a 7.3! Haha!
Question 1. Anyone know what happens to a UPS truck when they junk it? I would like to get my hands on an intercooler/ piping, and ideally a set of AA coded injectors.
Question 2. Anyone have experience with DT466? Seems like a solid motor, I'm thinking of trying to stuff one in a pickup someday. Just for fun.
1.Around here they get thrown into a grinder once all the fluids and other various things are removed. 2.Which Dt 466? Beware for getting 444 and DT466 injectors crossed up on the E model. They look the same.

Poop Head

Judge me.
So maybe they'd let a loathly driver scab some parts before grinding her up? Not sure, maybe the p-pumped model DT? Either that or pre emissions heui. I've seen some vids of p-pumped 7.3s and they look bad ass!!

outtatime

How can something like the Ford Raptor V-6 put out 450 hp and 510 lb-ft torque and yet only have a 6,000 lb towing capacity? Not a very useful truck at that rate.
It's not the engine that's the limiting factor, it's the suspension set-up. It's set-up to run 80+ through the desert while give a smooth ride at the same time. That soft compression and leaf spring package cannot handle more towing capacity. Same reason the payload capacity is much lower than a regular F150.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not the engine that's the limiting factor, it's the suspension set-up. It's set-up to run 80+ through the desert while give a smooth ride at the same time. That soft compression and leaf spring package cannot handle more towing capacity. Same reason the payload capacity is much lower than a regular F150.

I figured there had to be a good reason. Thanks for your answer. I guess if I was in the market for an empty truck I could drive at high speed through the desert I would buy one. In the meantime I prefer a useful truck.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
New practice now is to give a writeup if you miss a shaded area during PMI certification. Is this grievance material? Never heard such BS before.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Funny how the bean counters are so worried about unused parts sitting too long. We now have 200 fancy, complicated dollies sitting idle because they are unsafe and need more money spent on them.