Mechanics vs Teamster vs Mgmnt Pensions

T

Tarnsman

Take a look at the stellar job the mechanics do running their Pension Plan....Both Teamsters & Management can learn a great deal from them !...Their turnover excluding retirements is nonexistant and yet their pensions are more than double those of Teamsters/Management......Why is that ?

Fredless

APWA Hater
Are they Machinists? My dad is president of his Machinist local and reminds me how well their pension fund is managed compared to the Teamsters.:wink:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Teamster pensions were mainly trucking companies and now those trucking companies are either out of business or non-union. Mechanics union is probably alot younger and not as many retirees as opposed to workers. Check the details. Poorly managed or not these funds dry up eventually because the ratio of retired to workers changes. Not a sustainable system.

Hangingon

I know our mechanic is in the Machinists Union. His retirement, and yes I've seen the paperwork since he likes to brag, will be over 10K a month after 30 years. His local (not sure if they are all like this) consists of only UPS mechanics and they handle their own pension fund.

J

JonFrum

Take a look at the stellar job the mechanics do running their Pension Plan....Both Teamsters & Management can learn a great deal from them !...Their turnover excluding retirements is nonexistant and yet their pensions are more than double those of Teamsters/Management......Why is that ?

The National Pension Plan of the International Association of Machinists (IAM) is in better shape than most Teamster plans but it's not as great as you think. See this information in another thread . . .

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-subsidizing-non-ups-pensions.27725/