Media Bias

floridays

Christ is a title meaning ‘anointed one’ or ‘messiah’. It was not Jesus’ surname.

Unless you were making some other point.
Jesus is The Christ, The Son of the Living God

Jesus was God in human flesh,

God in human flesh took glorified flesh, as all believers one day will.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I'm not sure I know what point you think I was making, so I don't know how to answer that.

Jesus is the "Word" mentioned in these verses. He is also the Christ, hence the Christ was in the beginning, meaning there has never not been a Christ. He didn't have to come to Earth in order for people to have faith in him. In fact, even before his death and resurrection he told people their faith in him had saved them.

Luke 7:50 "Jesus said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you; go in peace.'"

People saved by their faith in the Christ might be considered Christians, no?
Nope.
Still before his death.
The woman as well as Jesus lived under the Law of Moses.
Must be baptized "into" His death (Romans 6:3).
Not possible until He died.

floridays

I'm not sure I know what point you think I was making, so I don't know how to answer that.

Jesus is the "Word" mentioned in these verses. He is also the Christ, hence the Christ was in the beginning, meaning there has never not been a Christ. He didn't have to come to Earth in order for people to have faith in him. In fact, even before his death and resurrection he told people their faith in him had saved them.

I think they were saved on credit, on their belief on him before the fact. No different than Abraham

Galatians 3: 6-9
6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Hebrews 9:22
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

BrownFlush

@TheBrownFlush, which part do you disagree with? The part John wrote? Or the part Jesus said?
What point are you making with the passage you quoted?
If it is to say there were Christians prior to Jesus' death, it's not in John 1 or anywhere else in scripture.
What passages I have quoted should be enough to prove what you are saying has no weight at all.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think they were saved on credit, on their belief on him before the fact. No different than Abraham

Galatians 3: 6-9
6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Hebrews 9:22
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

People get hung up on timing issues. God is eternal, Jesus is the atoning sacrifice for the sins of the whole world, not just from that point on. Whether or not you can call a person who lived before Jesus a "Christian" is simply splitting hairs that are irrelevant.

Whenever there is doubt I remember this verse:

Matthew 19:26

"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'"

BrownFlush

People get hung up on timing issues. God is eternal, Jesus is the atoning sacrifice for the sins of the whole world, not just from that point on. Whether or not you can call a person who lived before Jesus a "Christian" is simply splitting hairs that are irrelevant.

"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'"
I'll get hung up on timing issues and split hairs where God does.

Adam wasn't a Christian .
Abraham wasn't a Christian.
Moses wasn't a Christian.
John the Baptist wasn't a Christian.
Acts 2.. First gospel (good news) sermon ever preached. 3000 people responded and became New Testament Christians. The Law of Moses had was "nailed to the Cross"( Col.2:14) and the Christian dispensation began and continues today.

floridays

I'm not fighting if the person before Jesus was a Christian or not.
Christian is a term that equals redeemed of Christ, redeemed of God.
I'm actually not arguing anything.
I did offer, through scripture that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin.
I also offered, through scripture, Abraham believed God and it was imputed to him as righteousness, no blood was shed at the time.

Abraham is a Jew, by birth, he is a Christian by second birth, simply by believing God.
Scripture tells me, you must be born again, Scripture deals with the second birth.

I haven't read all you have posted, I doubt we disagree.
To make my stance clear,
Jesus is eternal God, in flesh, when Abraham believed God he was imputed righteousness by trusting God, at that point, the actual payment for sin would come later.

In my mind this is nothing to argue about.

Just let the redeemed of the Lord say so.

I've been bought, I'm redeemed.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Even in the eternal, all is not static. Before He was born, Jesus was God, but not yet man. As man, He was "anointed" as Messiah, or the Christ. Therefore, until He became man and was revealed as 'the Christ', there were no followers of 'Christ' AKA Christians.

No one was saved until the fulfillment of Jesus sacrifice on the cross. The woman in Luke 7:50 was saved by her faith in Jesus Incarnate. Until He was revealed as Son of God, the Children of God (Jews) weren't aware of Him. Their God was limited to the great "I AM", or Yahweh.

To be a follower of Christ, you have to know of Him first.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm not fighting if the person before Jesus was a Christian or not.
Christian is a term that equals redeemed of Christ, redeemed of God.
I'm actually not arguing anything.
I did offer, through scripture that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin.
I also offered, through scripture, Abraham believed God and it was imputed to him as righteousness, no blood was shed at the time.

Abraham is a Jew, by birth, he is a Christian by second birth, simply by believing God.
Scripture tells me, you must be born again, Scripture deals with the second birth.

I haven't read all you have posted, I doubt we disagree.
To make my stance clear,
Jesus is eternal God, in flesh, when Abraham believed God he was imputed righteousness by trusting God, at that point, the actual payment for sin would come later.

In my mind this is nothing to argue about.

Just let the redeemed of the Lord say so.

I've been bought, I'm redeemed.

I was just adding my two cents to an argument others were having. One person claimed Christianity was the first religion, suggesting that all the way back to Adam was a Christian because he was redeemed by Christ. Seemed like most everyone else disagreed. Thought I'd try to make a scriptural case for his position. I personally don't get caught up in all the little details. God is in charge.

floridays

I was just adding my two cents to an argument others were having. One person claimed Christianity was the first religion, suggesting that all the way back to Adam was a Christian because he was redeemed by Christ. Seemed like most everyone else disagreed. Thought I'd try to make a scriptural case for his position. I personally don't get caught up in all the little details. God is in charge.
Agree. I don't like to argue among believers, brothers and sisters in Christ. I should have been silent.
I do love to argue however.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Even in the eternal, all is not static. Before He was born, Jesus was God, but not yet man. As man, He was "anointed" as Messiah, or the Christ. Therefore, until He became man and was revealed as 'the Christ', there were no followers of 'Christ' AKA Christians.

No one was saved until the fulfillment of Jesus sacrifice on the cross. The woman in Luke 7:50 was saved by her faith in Jesus Incarnate. Until He was revealed as Son of God, the Children of God (Jews) weren't aware of Him. Their God was limited to the great "I AM", or Yahweh.

To be a follower of Christ, you have to know of Him first.

So the Jews didn't know of the Messiah they were told about by the prophets? I guess Jesus made up all the prophecy he referenced to establish the fact that he was the Messiah?

I don't really believe I have the answers, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Nope.
Still before his death.
The woman as well as Jesus lived under the Law of Moses.
Must be baptized "into" His death (Romans 6:3).
Not possible until He died.

So, how do you justify calling Jesus a liar, if she wasn't saved by her faith? I'll always rely on the teachings of Jesus over those of even his disciples.

floridays

I'll get hung up on timing issues and split hairs where God does.

Adam wasn't a Christian .
Abraham wasn't a Christian.
Moses wasn't a Christian.
John the Baptist wasn't a Christian.
Acts 2.. First gospel (good news) sermon ever preached. 3000 people responded and became New Testament Christians. The Law of Moses had was "nailed to the Cross"( Col.2:14) and the Christian dispensation began and continues today.
Are they redeemed?
Exactly what was the payment for their sin that God the Father accepted?
Is Christian merely a term to describe a believer?

Exactly what split hair does God get out of joint over?

You say Moses, Abraham and John the Baptist weren't Christians.
You say you are a Christian, do you expect greater reward at the judgment seat of Christ simply because you are Christian?

Are they redeemed? If so how?
Are you redeemed or just a Christian?

I know many "Christians" some go to "church" many deny Christ, they still say they are Christian, they deny Jesus as well. They have all been baptized.

Help me on this.