Media Bias

Nimnim

The Nim
There's probably a good argument for downplaying all terrorist attacks. If the world reacts with a shrug and moves on with life as normal the effectiveness of the attacks goes down. It's like engaging with a toddler having a tantrum, if you ignore them and they don't get the reaction they're looking for they eventually stop throwing tantrums. Same argument for not using the name of mass shooters in news coverage. No fame for the perpetrators.

I would say saying an attack or event happened so that people can be aware and check to see if any loved ones were influenced directly is fine. Details like the perpetrators name or expressed agenda through manifesto or what not being left out is good. Doing both of these are responsible "unbiased" journalism in my opinion. I put unbiased in quotes as withholding the perps name or reason has a bias behind it but it's a bias that removes the renown that some might seek by doing the same. A grey area unbias I think, as long as the information is able to be found with reasonable additional searching (Probably a local government police blotter or whatnot, just a step further than announcing outwardly to the public but still available).

vantexan

There's probably a good argument for downplaying all terrorist attacks. If the world reacts with a shrug and moves on with life as normal the effectiveness of the attacks goes down. It's like engaging with a toddler having a tantrum, if you ignore them and they don't get the reaction they're looking for they eventually stop throwing tantrums. Same argument for not using the name of mass shooters in news coverage. No fame for the perpetrators.
I don't think the jihadists are looking for our brand of fame. What's really happening is we're essentially being told that some being occasionally killed is the high price of living in a free society.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
FOX covered it from the start. Carlson pointed out the ridiculousness of not breaking off from Trump coverage the next day.
Faux news complaining that other media outlets aren't covering the news they want them to, is not news, it's trumpflake whining. Why do people watch this garbage?

vantexan

Faux news complaining that other media outlets aren't covering the news they want them to, is not news, it's trumpflake whining. Why do people watch this garbage?
Because they actually get real news coverage, not liberals trying to control the message. As for what they say about Trump, tell a lie often enough, you start believing it.

MAKAVELI

Don't watch network news because I almost never turn on the tv anymore, but this popped up in my social media feeds. The tragedy is very sad, but to see that other main stream networks would decide to go after Trump for awhile instead of covering an attack doesn't make sense. To be completely insensitive an attack, a potential terror attack, is much bigger ratings than anything else out there yet other networks didn't touch it for over an hour.

Edit: I can understand waiting for facts to come out, but not a mention that an explosion of unknown origin and multiple people were hurt not to even get a "we've heard something along these lines and we're investigating" to instead focus Trump, while nothing new about him had happened in hours, is more interested in their agenda than the news.
Fake

It will be fine

Because they actually get real news coverage, not liberals trying to control the message. As for what they say about Trump, tell a lie often enough, you start believing it.
Come on van, if you want real news coverage watch PBS news hour. I enjoy msnbc shows but I don't for a second believe they are real news shows. They are biased entertainment shows that spin and exaggerate the truth. Fox does this more than any other network. As we've seen with the Seth Rich coverage they will create fake stories to push their agenda. Don't call them real news coverage.

vantexan

Come on van, if you want real news coverage watch PBS news hour. I enjoy msnbc shows but I don't for a second believe they are real news shows. They are biased entertainment shows that spin and exaggerate the truth. Fox does this more than any other network. As we've seen with the Seth Rich coverage they will create fake stories to push their agenda. Don't call them real news coverage.
FOX retracted that story, I'd be interested to see when was the last time MSNBC has done so. But as to that story, I saw Julian Assange mention it and all but verify that Rich was his source. Said he couldn't identify sources. And Rich wouldn't be the first to turn up dead around Hillary. And if you watch their nightly news show with Brett Bair you'd be watching their hard news. The rest is opinion, at least at night.

It will be fine

FOX retracted that story, I'd be interested to see when was the last time MSNBC has done so. But as to that story, I saw Julian Assange mention it and all but verify that Rich was his source. Said he couldn't identify sources. And Rich wouldn't be the first to turn up dead around Hillary. And if you watch their nightly news show with Brett Bair you'd be watching their hard news. The rest is opinion, at least at night.
So Fox retracted the story, because it was a made up lie, and then you go on explaining why you still believe it. It's called propaganda and you're proving it works.

vantexan

So Fox retracted the story, because it was a made up lie, and then you go on explaining why you still believe it. It's called propaganda and you're proving it works.
They retracted it because it can't be proven. Doesn't mean it isn't true. Isn't that the basis of all the Trump collusion theories? Don't see the MSM retracting that.

Sportello

newfie

how much fox do you watch?

newfie

Come on van, if you want real news coverage watch PBS news hour. I enjoy msnbc shows but I don't for a second believe they are real news shows. They are biased entertainment shows that spin and exaggerate the truth. Fox does this more than any other network.

how much fox do you watch?

None. I don't have cable.

about what I thought. liberal talking points