Meeting customers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Whats the chances that ups is going after this driver for the money? yet refusing to pay a claim on it? HMMMMM

Article 10 section 2
The Employer will incorporate into the DIAD for packages shipped using Worldship and
Maxiship within sixty (60) days of ratification (as well as other shipping systems when it is
technologically feasible) a function that will prompt the driver when a specific type of fund is to be
collected for each C.O.D. delivery (e.g., certified funds, cashiers check, money orders). The
Employer will notify the Union prior to the installation of the prompts or as the system is
expanded. If the driver collects an improper check, the Employer shall inform the driver of that
acceptance.

The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to collect for losses due to bad checks, to include a driver
follow-up, and an attempt by the Manager or his designee to meet with the consignee and a letter
to the consignee requesting payment, when appropriate. Should a driver who has been held liable
for restitution choose to pursue legal recourse against the consignee, the Employer will provide
any necessary documents to aid the driver in processing a claim through the courts. The employee
shall not be held liable for restitution or disciplined if he/she accepts an irregular check if a reasonable
person would have accepted the check. No employee shall be subject to restitution or discipline unless
the Employer brings the bad check to the employee's attention within fifteen (15) business days after
receiving a written shipper notice of claim.​

satellitedriver

Satellite Drivah maybe I'm wrong or watch to many Law & Order shows,but I would say we have a right to ask for an I.D at time of signature since you have to be an ""ADULT'' TO SIGN FOR PKG,WE SHOULD HAVE RIGHT to see an id!!! I have asked for I.Ds in past when kids were trying to sign for wine !!!!
Key word in my post was, legally. We have no legal standing to demand ID from anyone.
Asking and demanding are two separate things.

New Englander

Most common scam on Craigslist is the Pay to much in cashier's check, then tell seller to cash it, keep the balance for themselves / pay the shipper.

I have a bunch of these "cashier's Checks" on my desk if anyone wants to see - I'll scan them & post. They look fantastic. Accounts are real, banks are real, there is money in the account - it is just that the account owner didn't know they wrote a big check.

Whoever gave the package to a customer outside of WalMart? Sorry guy, lousy time to be looking for a new job.

First of all.....who cares that you have all these cashiers checks on your desk? Do we really need you to scan them in for us? Duh....were online anyone of us could google them and see the same.

Second....the driver isn't going to get fired over it. Worst case he will have his checks garnished by UPS till it's paid back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Key word in my post was, legally. We have no legal standing to demand ID from anyone.

The only instance that I have been instructed to request ID before releasing a pkg was a few years ago when we were the carrier of choice for tickets to the Woodstock concert. Recepients had to show picture ID and then sign for the letter. There have been times when I have delivered wine to college housing and asked for ID just to CYA.

I always turn down requests from my OMS to meet customers on road. They never show up on time (if they show up at all) and I end up sitting there waiting for them. I do have customers who come up to me on the road and I ask them a few questions particular to the pkg before having them sign for it. If they have a cashiers check made out to the shipper for the exact amount I do not question it.

We are not the ID police but do have to exercise caution and use common sense.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, Last month in the training area of Diad 4, It had mentioned to ask for I.D. from anyone meeting the driver outside that box's destination.

What's the use for insurance if the company can find a loophole and screw you ????

The insurance is for damage or loss of a package, there is no way UPS can insure against fraud on the part of consignee or shipper.
The prompts for wine says an ID may be required. I'm pretty sure that in Texas if a person appears to be under the age of 26 we are required by law to ask for ID before making the delivery. This smae prompt comes up on other controlled substances and sometimes on high value packages as well.
We are not trained to spot fraudulent documents such as checks or money orders, unless there is something glaringly wrong with a money order, how could we ever know?
IMO, the driver involved here should be counseled on how to CYA while making a delivery away from the address on the package (ask for ID), especially if he does not personally know the receiver. In no way do I feel that the driver should be held accountable for the 10 grand. Remember the driver was sent a message to meet the receiver. I agree that in many cases of "meeting the consignee", if they show up at the meet point, have money orders totaling the correct amount, they are usually the one the package is supposed to be delivered to. But on $10k, I think I would ask for that ID.

BrownSuit

There are definitely holes in the news account of the story.

For Joe Customer off the street, the prompt from Customer Service would have been to inform them that if there was something wrong with the check, we would not cover it and direct the customer to UPS Capital for something like this.

This would have been the "Special Insurance" AKA COD Secure, which is not generally offered for customers like this and would have covered Fraud.

This Special Insurance, usually involves a percentage of the receivables, starting at 2%. Do the math, that's at least $200.

Also, the dollar amount is off in the shipping charges, did anybody else notice this?

$226 including the supposed "Special Insurance".

NDA Early AM including November's Fuel Costs, which were higher than October, with 10K of Insurance, COD, and Adult Delivery Confirmation would have been $233 assuming a 5# package (generous considering it was just rings) for Retail Rates.

NDA $183 with same package details, but it is highly unlikely that on a 10:30 Commit the driver would have had time for an indirect delivery.

The price keeps going down, again these are retail rates, the highest that they would have paid for the shipment.

Also, we all know how closely high valued shipments are watched and how accountable everybody is held for them. I just don't buy an indirect of a high value at a drug store.

satellitedriver

Correct me if I'm wrong, Last month in the training area of Diad 4, It had mentioned to ask for I.D. from anyone meeting the driver outside that box's destination.

What's the use for insurance if the company can find a loophole and screw you ????
Yep,you are right.
We can "ask" for I.D., but we can not legally "demand" I.D.
If the customer refuses to give his drivers license to a stranger (a UPS driver), and the driver refuses to deliver the package, who's rear end will be called on the carpet when the customer files a complaint?
Not the customer, not the seller.
That leaves only one (UPS) person in the hot seat.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

satellitedriver

BTW, Do you know how easy it is to have fake I.D.
If a thief is willing to pass bad paper, he will be willing to show false I.D.
We are not the shopping police.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Yep,you are right.
We can "ask" for I.D., but we can not legally "demand" I.D.
If the customer refuses to give his drivers license to a stranger (a UPS driver), and the driver refuses to deliver the package, who's rear end will be called on the carpet when the customer files a complaint?
Not the customer, not the seller.
That leaves only one (UPS) person in the hot seat.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Honestly SAT
We can argue legal linguistics but I will never give a package without proof
How many times does this happen to a driver. Once a month. Maybe twice. Maybe
If they set a meet point through UPS then they would have been already instructed to show i.d.
Someone wants their package outside the actual delivery point. Either I'm 100% sure or they prove to me they live there.

I've delivered in some seedy areas and have been approached by people with a delivery notice from apartments. No proof of I.D. no package. Half of them go back and get their i.d. and the other half disappear and are never seen again. It happens more often than you think. To me, more than enough times.

Trust me, UPS will back any driver who feels he is not comfortable in this situation. 100% They can go pick it up at the customer counter when I get back to the building. AND THEY STILL will have to show ID when they pick it up.

rod

Retired 22 years
Honestly SAT

Trust me, UPS will back any driver who feels he is not comfortable in this situation. 100% They can go pick it up at the customer counter when I get back to the building. AND THEY STILL will have to show ID when they pick it up.

That must be a big city thing. I've never seen any customer that came into our building to pick up a package show an ID. All they needed was a delivery notice and to tell the clerk their address. Actually come to think about it - they didn't even need a delivery notice. All they had to say was "do you have my package" and tell them an address.:surprised:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That must be a big city thing. I've never seen any customer that came into our building to pick up a package show an ID. All they needed was a delivery notice and to tell the clerk their address. Actually come to think about it - they didn't even need a delivery notice. All they had to say was "do you have my package" and tell them an address.:surprised:

Do you live in Mayberry??????:wink2: