oldngray

nowhere special
There's help if you actually want to find it.

You can seek out to be mentored by another BA that is honest and has that reputation or you can make your deals in the dark on the phone with the center manager, DM, or Labor Mgr.

The rudder is turned one way by greed or the other way by integrity.
A good steward is usually more help than your BA. Most BA's I knew were more concerned about themselves and playing politics than helping the people they were supposed to represent. Unfortunately there are bad stewards too who are little more than company yes men.

Big Rigger

A good steward is usually more help than your BA. Most BA's I knew were more concerned about themselves and playing politics than helping the people they were supposed to represent. Unfortunately there are bad stewards too who are little more than company yes men.
But...
"the grievance belongs to the local".

I got very tired hearing that.

After that the NLRB is your best bet until elections occur.

Inthegame

I hope you’re right. The job analogy certainly makes sense, been at all those levels lol. It does take seasoning and a chance to grow into the job, but I had some help from older drivers along the way that were willing to school a pup. Who helps the new BA or Steward?
Larger locals usually mentor new BA's by shadowing more experienced BA's. Forward thinking locals run annual steward training seminars.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I just used it as a “metaphor”..

The “Ivory Towers” refers to the power structures behind the “ drawn curtains” that you do not have access to, or decisions behind closed doors without explanation.
So like every institution ever. I'm not saying we have a right to be in the executive session, but JW should answer for this highly suspect decision. If he's corrupt and OZ isn't then handle it. I don't need a head on a stick. (I can use metaphors too)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Bundling can only happen if the local agrees. Sometimes the company will ask them if they will bundle them and use one as a test case but the local has to agree. Sounds like the local might have made a bad decision but if there is no explanation, it leaves doubt.
Our B.A. tied them all together and we were informed of this. We have over 3000 subcontracting grievances filed from 2020. This is not controversial, we have years of grievances on "committee hold". My members are sick of the subcontracting and they are hearing from the Sleeper teams passing through that it's apparently normal and accepted in O'Briens local. If that's going to be the new normal we deserve to know.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's all you need and all that is available. Are you really that ignorant of the process?
No are you really that ignorant of the process, or is "ignorance of the process" what you are relying on here with most that read this thread?

A printed docket decision doesn't tell us what was presented or what mistakes were made by either party.

.... and when the decision is prefaced with "based on the facts presented", that is exactly what is implied.

I will ask you again, what would possibly be JW and TU's motivation in purposely tanking all these grievances while campaigning so vigorously in the only contested region of the country for the General Election.

Doesn't make any sense, which is why we are not buying it.

Cowboy Mac

Our B.A. tied them all together and we were informed of this. We have over 3000 subcontracting grievances filed from 2020. This is not controversial, we have years of grievances on "committee hold". My members are sick of the subcontracting and they are hearing from the Sleeper teams passing through that it's apparently normal and accepted in O'Briens local. If that's going to be the new normal we deserve to know.
From what I’ve heard on the FNN it’s going on in Vairma’s hometown of Denver. Sleeper driver told me they had Contractors sleeping on the property, in the break rooms, etc. Sounds like this is a problem everywhere.

542thruNthru

From what I’ve heard on the FNN it’s going on in Vairma’s hometown of Denver. Sleeper driver told me they had Contractors sleeping on the property, in the break rooms, etc. Sounds like this is a problem everywhere.
Subcontracting is definitely a issue everywhere. Especially with the way the way the contract is worded for taking loads off the rails.

Though I will say I'm curious it wasn't dead locked and sent to arbitration. I would hope with something like subcontracting the union would not agree with the company and dead lock it.

Though like bubble pointed out we can't see the evidence. Still in my opinion subcontracting is subcontracting if it's not a Teamster.

Big Rigger

It's right there in the contract, the Union shall be the sole representative....
Our problem was the BA wanted to w/d with rights everything and we wanted to deadlock. The union reps should train and explain. We've had no stewards training on the cba since the 90s in our local. Fact. Still to date. And our new BAs are in need of training more than the stewards. Another fact.

So does the membership trust the stewards, who, in our building are strong or the local officers?
That's why I understand the frustration of good stewards and the politics that control slam dunk issues are irritating but for instance when your valid grievance gets traded out to get some cute thief's job back because the center manager really "needs" the employee the membership gives up.

There are many things we've seen go on here with corrupt bullcrap behind the scenes and it takes strong members and stewards to keep the total membership's faith alive in the midst of the games that are played.

When a weak steward fails members it's not good but when the officers and BAs fail the membership, with them having the final say (minus the NLRB's intervention), it derails more cars than imaginable.

oldngray

nowhere special
Our problem was the BA wanted to w/d with rights everything and we wanted to deadlock. The union reps should train and explain. We've had no stewards training on the cba since the 90s in our local. Fact. Still to date. And our new BAs are in need of training more than the stewards. Another fact.

So does the membership trust the stewards, who, in our building are strong or the local officers?
That's why I understand the frustration of good stewards and the politics that control slam dunk issues are irritating but for instance when your valid grievance gets traded out to get some cute thief's job back because the center manager really "needs" the employee the membership gives up.

There are many things we've seen go on here with corrupt bullcrap behind the scenes and it takes strong members and stewards to keep the total membership's faith alive in the midst of the games that are played.

When a weak steward fails members it's not good but when the officers and BAs fail the membership, with them having the final say (minus the NLRB's intervention), it derails more cars than imaginable.
When they would trade deals on different grievances it really cheesed me off. Every one should be decided on its own merits. I understand they would do it sometimes to save a job but not fair to the other people getting screwed.

Big Rigger

When they would trade deals on different grievances it really cheesed me off. Every one should be decided on its own merits. I understand they would do it sometimes to save a job but not fair to the other people getting screwed.
Yes sir. Trading valid grievances, especially payable ones, to get a thief's job back or some hot chick that had multiple unreported accidents is garbage.
Some people deserve to be fired. Don't screw me because there are "other" circumstances that are immoral and unethical at play.
That's worse on union solidarity than RTW imo.

UPSER1987

Yes sir. Trading valid grievances, especially payable ones, to get a thief's job back or some hot chick that had multiple unreported accidents is garbage.
Some people deserve to be fired. Don't screw me because there are "other" circumstances that are immoral and unethical at play.
That's worse on union solidarity than RTW imo.
This happens all the time.