Met an old timer today

Johney

Met a guy on my rte today who retired in 1989 with 25 years from UPS. He was a feeder driver from NY. We talked for at least 45 min(coded out for lunch:cool:)This guy had some awesome stories of meeting Jim Casey,Hoffa & Ron Carey.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did he have any guesses where Hoffa Sr. is today? If any of you younger people want to get a history lesson on the Teamsters watch the movie "Hoffa" with Jack Nickelson and Danny Davito. It may be one sided but it is a great movie

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Uh.....i plan to eventually retire to my house, since i'm probably never going to want to leave this oasis i call buffalo.

A shame, Pollock. A true shame. I'me a little older than you. I have friends that never left the town they were born and raised in--for school or to "explore." This isn't a small country town, either. This is Chicago suburbia. I still find it amusing when one I haven't seen or heard from in 4 or 5 years pops up on one of the social networking sites I have an account on. H*ll, I got a text message a couple months ago from a former co-worker. Out of the blue. Hadn't seen or heard from her in 4 years. I called the number and she MADE me guess who she was. Diabolical. -Rocky

retired2000

sure hope that when you meet an old timer you stop and listen to his or her stories. we tell it like it was years ago. it was not like it is today bending over and kissing butt. if things did not go by the contract we had ways of paying back the co. use to get lots of o/t when i was in the hub picking up boxes that missed the right trailer. get my drift.

sendagain

I was taking a stroll through the Hollywood Hills the other day and saw a driver go to the rear of his vehicle, having left the bulkhead door open. I went up and shook the vehicle several times and climbed up in the cab to notice he had a load of bulk in his center aisle and couldn't see me; I know his mind must have been thinking "someone's in my truck". He came back to the front and we both had a good laugh. Us old retired guys like to have a little fun now and then.

JohnnyPension

As a trainee I jumped into a drivers truck (was sent to help him) in Harlem. He was digging through boxes. He yanked out a gun and almost shot me. Funny now. Not then. Never did that again.

helenofcalifornia

I met Jim Casey's grandson around 1995 who said the company had changed so much since Jim died (in the 80's) that he didn't think Jim would have recognized it. And BTW, the grandson didn't own any UPS stock.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I met Jim Casey's grandson around 1995 who said the company had changed so much since Jim died (in the 80's) that he didn't think Jim would have recognized it. And BTW, the grandson didn't own any UPS stock.

I didn't think Casey was ever married & never have heard any mention of children.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I didn't think Casey was ever married & never have heard any mention of children.

Thats what I thought too. The Annie E. Casey Foundation was named after his mother. He did have a brother named George that helped with the startup, I don't know if he was married or not. I always thought it was strange that Jim Casey never got married.

upsgrunt

Thats what I thought too. The Annie E. Casey Foundation was named after his mother. He did have a brother named George that helped with the startup, I don't know if he was married or not. I always thought it was strange that Jim Casey never got married.

You aren't thinking what I am are you? Not the beloved founder of UPS:w00t:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Casey was a humble man. A lifelong bachelor, he lived for many years in a simple hotel room and always wore a dark suit and tie. Neither money nor power interested him much. Over the years he and his brother, who also worked at UPS, gave the bulk of their money, $438 million in all, to the Annie E. Casey Foundation, named after their mother.

The Annie E. Casey Foundation was established in 1948 by Jim Casey and his siblings George, Harry, and Marguerite. They named the philanthropy in honor of their mother, who had struggled to raise them as a young widow.

upsgrunt

Casey was a humble man. A lifelong bachelor, he lived for many years in a simple hotel room and always wore a dark suit and tie. Neither money nor power interested him much. Over the years he and his brother, who also worked at UPS, gave the bulk of their money, $438 million in all, to the Annie E. Casey Foundation, named after their mother.

The Annie E. Casey Foundation was established in 1948 by Jim Casey and his siblings George, Harry, and Marguerite. They named the philanthropy in honor of their mother, who had struggled to raise them as a young widow.

But still, never an interest in women?

upsgrunt

Jesus Christ was never married or had a girl friend.
:

You're right area43 and being a Christian I knew that. I just don't think you can compare Jim Casey to Jesus Christ. Starting a multi-billion dollar company and being the savior to the world are not even close.