Mileage for out of town

iowa boy

Did not know that----thanks for the info.
Please dont take what I say as gospel, but your taxman , (if you have one), can clarify that for you.

I have compared my last check of the year to my W-2 numbers and they always match. The only numbers that dont match relate to my 401-K contributions. You know how that part works.

UPSGUY72

When you cover a satellite route, and you're not top rate, the pay is better taking the mileage vs.the hourly wage. And its non taxable income to boot. The same situation applies to feeder drivers in progression.

At 340 miles X 400 miles equals. $187.00

Driving 340 miles or 170 each way should take about 3 hrs each way. That time would be all at time and a half and that would only leave the OP with 8 hours of actually work time.

If the OP was only making $25 hr * 1.5 *6 = $225.00

It's better taking your hourly rate unless your making less than $20 hr.

UPSGUY72

Upstate, in all the years I have received mileage checks from UPS, I have never been given a 1099 for miscellaneous income, nor has any amount been reported on my W-2.

According to the IRS, as long as UPS doesnt pay me any more than the standard mileage rate for my vehicle expenses, it is not income.

I take it your not counting your time you drive there as work hrs towards your 14 and 60. Which you should be as you getting paid. UPS is paying you for miles and not putting it on your w-2 so they can say those hr's don't count against your 14 and 60. Which is BS.

10 point

I worked out of a different hub 3 different days. My total mileage was about 1100 miles. I asked about mileage pay and they told me it's .55 cents a mile. Is this a standard rate on personal cars. I only have 3 months in so I'm at a lower pay rate. Also when do you guys typically recive the monthly checks for miles thx

Sent using BrownCafe App
56¢ per mile is the last compensation I received this summer.

iowa boy

At 340 miles X 400 miles equals. $187.00

Driving 340 miles or 170 each way should take about 3 hrs each way. That time would be all at time and a half and that would only leave the OP with 8 hours of actually work time.

If the OP was only making $25 hr * 1.5 *6 = $225.00

It's better taking your hourly rate unless your making less than $20 hr.

72, I'm not understanding your math. If I take .56 x 60 miles per hour it comes out to be 33.60 per hour to drive your own vehicle to your start point. If the OP is making less than top rate, this is where is better to take the miles.

I'm top rate so its a wash for me, but I will still drive my vehicle so if I want to stop for food or a six pack to take home I can do that and not be hassled about about transporting alcohol for personal use when I get back to the building.

If the OP drives a company vehicle to his meet point, the drive to the meet would not be at the overtime rate as UPS would consider that his start time. Only the drive back to his bldg would be OT.

UPSGUY72

72, I'm not understanding your math. If I take .56 x 60 miles per hour it comes out to be 33.60 per hour to drive your own vehicle to your start point. If the OP is making less than top rate, this is where is better to take the miles.

I'm top rate so its a wash for me, but I will still drive my vehicle so if I want to stop for food or a six pack to take home I can do that and not be hassled about about transporting alcohol for personal use when I get back to the building.

If the OP drives a company vehicle to his meet point, the drive to the meet would not be at the overtime rate as UPS would consider that his start time. Only the drive back to his bldg would be OT.

He would be at or pretty close to 14 hour for the day if he had a 300-400 mile round trip commute so you can basically say it all OT. But since the company is paying him miles and not counting that time as work he's getting screwed and breaking HOS rules even if UPS says he isn't. A six hour round trip drive plus a 9-10 day and getting paid at least something for all that time would put the OP at 15 plus hours of work for the day.

Last edited:

Oak

Fuel and wear and tear still need to be factored in. When I drive my vehicle for my own business I invoice the customer $0.70 per mile, round trip.

Don't forget, the company will deduct the mileage that you normally drive to and from your normal workplace.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
When I was doing my production week for feeders years ago, I was paid mileage to drive to the hub where the route I was covering for the production week was based out of. At the time, I think it was around $0.52 per mile. I had to drive about 60 miles one way.

Insaneasylum

I don't believe the .56 cents a mile is pay. It is what I would be able to deduct off my taxes for vehicles that I drove. Since it's not pay it is my own time and doesn't count toward my 14 hrs. It not like I had to do it. I could of said no but I'm at the bottom of the list so if I wanted hours that was my choice.

Sent using BrownCafe App