Minimum notice to retirement committee

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah I think about all those things every day. I'm a plan B for my plan C kind of guy. It would definitely be worth about 300 a month to stick around till 2017. But I will be at 37 years and 56 years old this May.
Body still chugging along ok, but I'm just so sick of living like this every winter.
Wife and kids want me out before anything stupid happens.
I'd be thrilled to stock shelves in a local store for a few years till SS kicks in. Just won't be wondering every stop if this is the one that'll cost me my job anyway.
Why stress about it?

They can't take your pension. If they Fire you big whoop.

oldupsman

Yeah I think about all those things every day. I'm a plan B for my plan C kind of guy. It would definitely be worth about 300 a month to stick around till 2017. But I will be at 37 years and 56 years old this May.
Body still chugging along ok, but I'm just so sick of living like this every winter.
Wife and kids want me out before anything stupid happens.
I'd be thrilled to stock shelves in a local store for a few years till SS kicks in. Just won't be wondering every stop if this is the one that'll cost me my job anyway.

I had just about the same numbers time wise that you have when I got out. You can sit there all day and crunch
numbers and make them work either way you want. At this stage it's all about quality of life. And you sound just like I felt.
I was just done. I came home one night and told the wife the way I felt. She just looked at me and said, " Well then
just get out, we'll make it work." And I promise you that's exactly what will happen.

You sound like the kind of person who has planned ahead. Your family is in your corner. 2 more years for what?
Couple more pension bucks they might end up taking away from you anyway now that this new law has passed.
Before I left I talked to my neighbor who was about 75 at the time. He had retired at 55. And he told me that I'll
never regret it. And he was right. I'm telling you, you won't either. Good luck.

The Milkman

Why stress about it?

They can't take your pension. If they Fire you big whoop.

So True Brown....I turned 55 in 07, 4 months to the day after that I had my 25 years in. I figured I will hang around 1 more year till 56 in 08 just to annoy Ups and yes you are right, go ahead try and fire me. Waited a long time to be in just that position at Ups where I could be at peace knowing I see the exit door wide open for me....few months later my Brother aged 53 died... My wife' cousins husband dropped dead this past Thanksgiving day at age 55..... So you never know, about a year ago another Ups friend of mine died about 1 month before his retirement just after leaving his night shift working as a clerk.. So sad that his plan went out the window. So I said that's it..I'm done...I'm out of here. Made me realize that life is to short to hang around planning the next year not knowing if I would even make it to the next day, I would think after 37 years that one would just cut the umbilical cord and leave. Who cares about the # next to your years of service on the retirement page, main thing is that you got to retire for the most part in one piece..hung it up 1/1/08...7 years already...looking fwd to 7 more........

The Milkman

I had just about the same numbers time wise that you have when I got out. You can sit there all day and crunch
numbers and make them work either way you want. At this stage it's all about quality of life. And you sound just like I felt.
I was just done. I came home one night and told the wife the way I felt. She just looked at me and said, " Well then
just get out, we'll make it work." And I promise you that's exactly what will happen.

You sound like the kind of person who has planned ahead. Your family is in your corner. 2 more years for what?
Couple more pension bucks they might end up taking away from you anyway now that this new law has passed.
Before I left I talked to my neighbor who was about 75 at the time. He had retired at 55. And he told me that I'll
never regret it. And he was right. I'm telling you, you won't either. Good luck.

You're right..he won't regret it!!

By The Book

I asked a retiree I met about sticking around a couple years to pay for the spouses medical and two years I could have $300.00 more and he asked me if I thought I could make$300.00 a month doing something I really enjoyed. He also pointed out I would be leaving 2 years of pension money on the table. So I said you mean I would be working for about $15.00 an hour if I stayed and he said yes. Based on$85000.00 a year less $50000.00 pension and 7.5 hours overtime a week. We waited a long time to be in the drivers seat and it sure gives me something to look forward to.

rod

Retired 22 years
Still debating whether to stick around for two more years or hang it up this thanksgiving.
Anyone know what the minimum amount of time I need to give the committee in order to facilitate a smooth transition if I decide to bail?

There is no such thing as a smooth transition (except maybe in the BOG). There is always some hurdle they make you jump over. When I retired I swore I was the first person ever to do so. I couldn't get a straight answer out of either the Union or the Company.

oldupsman

There is no such thing as a smooth transition (except maybe in the BOG). There is always some hurdle they make you jump over. When I retired I swore I was the first person ever to do so. I couldn't get a straight answer out of either the Union or the Company.

I started the process 6 months before I planned on leaving. I then proceeded to harass both UPS and the IBT
on a regular basis. It worked. Got my first pension check the day after I retired and never had a problem with
my retirement health care from UPS.

oldngray

nowhere special
I started the process 6 months before I planned on leaving. I then proceeded to harass both UPS and the IBT
on a regular basis. It worked. Got my first pension check the day after I retired and never had a problem with
my retirement health care from UPS.
I got my first pension check on time but still had to go through massive BS. Pension was off a couple of dollars which was a small but glaringly obvious error. The biggest hassle was my healthcare getting cancelled and getting it straightened out. I would call and send in all of the required paperwork and it was supposedly corrected but then I would get a cancellation notice. I even sent in a premium which was due according to the bill the sent me, then have that money refunded after I was cancelled then I had to send the payment again. It was like one office didn't know what was going on in another office. There were many other headaches including incorrect information from the retirement department (who even lied to me and I caught them in a lie after I asked to speak to a supervisor - my case worker claimed she didn't have my paperwork when it was sitting on her desk) plus the great difficulty even being able to talk to real person with phone calls and hour long waits the only way.

trickpony1

Post #28-

Some of these people act like they are doing you a favor by processing your paperwork and then;

they act like it's "their" money they are giving you.

Just do the job. That's all they gotta do. It's simple.

ScottyG07

Reading about the part time years of service makes my head spin. It is so hard to get an answer about how much pension you will receive for these years. I've called HR and also e-mailed them but still can't get an answer. I have 11 part time years and 19 full time. I'm just trying to find out what my part time years are worth. I can't get a straight answer. From what I understand it's a separate pension. I'm not sure why it's so hard for them to figure out. Guess I just have to keep bugging them till I get a correct answer. Anyone know how part time years count? Are they based on hours worked or do they just count them as half? I'm guessing that my part time years will count for about 5.5 years towards my pension, even though I worked 30 or 40 hours for some of those years. Anyways, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

satellitedriver

I had no problem retiring, the process is very straight forward.
First, and foremost, I did my homework.
I retired on Feb. 28th, and my 1st pension check was deposited the next business day.
Never depend on the union, or the company, to do the due diligence that determines your future.
BTW,
retirement is like waking up on a Saturday morning everyday.

Packmule

Reading about the part time years of service makes my head spin. It is so hard to get an answer about how much pension you will receive for these years. I've called HR and also e-mailed them but still can't get an answer. I have 11 part time years and 19 full time. I'm just trying to find out what my part time years are worth. I can't get a straight answer. From what I understand it's a separate pension. I'm not sure why it's so hard for them to figure out. Guess I just have to keep bugging them till I get a correct answer. Anyone know how part time years count? Are they based on hours worked or do they just count them as half? I'm guessing that my part time years will count for about 5.5 years towards my pension, even though I worked 30 or 40 hours for some of those years. Anyways, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
I was told it does go by hours but averages out at about 1/2 ft years.

oldngray

nowhere special
I retired on Feb. 28th, and my 1st pension check was deposited the next business day.
Never depend on the union, or the company, to do the due diligence that determines your future.
BTW,

It "should" be straight forward but when UPS screws up by changing your status to terminated instead of retired and nobody in Atlanta could even figure out how or why that happened it is not smooth sailing. Local HR guy was never around and didn't do the job he was paid to do so I had to go over his head to his boss to get someone with database access to correct the error. And it wasn't someone in the retirement dept who spotted the problem - it was someone in local HR (new hires) who finally looked at things. I wasn't the only person that happened to also. I later found out the same thing happened to another driver from my center who had retired a few months before I did.

satellitedriver

It "should" be straight forward but when UPS screws up by changing your status to terminated instead of retired and nobody in Atlanta could even figure out how or why that happened it is not smooth sailing. Local HR guy was never around and didn't do the job he was paid to do so I had to go over his head to his boss to get someone with database access to correct the error. And it wasn't someone in the retirement dept who spotted the problem - it was someone in local HR (new hires) who finally looked at things. I wasn't the only person that happened to also. I later found out the same thing happened to another driver from my center who had retired a few months before I did.
That sucks.
Never have heard of that "terminated" status happening with anyone who retired before me.
Now that I think on it, being terminated, or retiring in the normal fashion would/should make no difference, since your credits have already been earned under contract.
So, tell me why it would make a difference?
I truly am not trying to be a smart ass. I am just wondering how it effected you receiving retirement.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Packmule. If you have the time in. It's time to go. You really won't make that much more by staying. It's really about pocket change. Not something ponder over. If you like it. --stay. If your sick of it. ---go.

rod

Retired 22 years
BTW,

I did more "homework" for my retirement than I did all the time I was in school (at least it seemed that way) but it was still a cluster friend... even though I started the process 6 months early. I ended up having to work an extra 27 days which at the time seemed like a life time because I couldn't get nothing but a verbal "you're ok to retire" from the Union. Sorry but after 30 years at UPS nothing but a verbal ok from the company or the Union just wouldn't cut it. All I wanted was my last computer printout of time served mailed to me so I had proof in black and white that I qualified.

oldngray

nowhere special
That sucks.
Never have heard of that "terminated" status happening with anyone who retired before me.
Now that I think on it, being terminated, or retiring in the normal fashion would/should make no difference, since your credits have already been earned under contract.
So, tell me why it would make a difference?
I truly am not trying to be a smart ass. I am just wondering how it effected you receiving retirement.

I started getting my pension checks on time but it messed up my healthcare.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I got my first pension check on time but still had to go through massive BS. Pension was off a couple of dollars which was a small but glaringly obvious error. The biggest hassle was my healthcare getting cancelled and getting it straightened out. I would call and send in all of the required paperwork and it was supposedly corrected but then I would get a cancellation notice. I even sent in a premium which was due according to the bill the sent me, then have that money refunded after I was cancelled then I had to send the payment again. It was like one office didn't know what was going on in another office. There were many other headaches including incorrect information from the retirement department (who even lied to me and I caught them in a lie after I asked to speak to a supervisor - my case worker claimed she didn't have my paperwork when it was sitting on her desk) plus the great difficulty even being able to talk to real person with phone calls and hour long waits the only way.
I retired with exactly 30 years to the day on the last day of the month. Received my first pension check the very next day. When I turned 65, I enrolled in Medicare with a Supplement policy. I continued to pay the premiums with our company for my spouse. After six months, UPS sent me a letter wanting to know why I had additional insurance. I called the number on our insurance card and was told that I would have to cancel my new policy because "I was covered for life with UPS". I received that statement from 3 different people. It turns out I (as well as you) was dealing with a third party who is contracted to administer the plan. Well, I cancelled my new policies. The very next month I received the new booklet for Teamcare. Found two separate articles stating my insurance indeed was supposed to expire on myself at age 65. I finally had talk with someone at UPS and not the third party to correct the problem. Then more problems, I had to have proof of insurance to reinstate my previous policy because it had been over 6 months since I turned 65 and the person with UPS refused to help me. I actually had to go through Corporate Office of UPS to straighten out the mess. So, just be aware, this is a third party administering this plan who don't have a clue.

oldngray

nowhere special
I retired with exactly 30 years to the day on the last day of the month. Received my first pension check the very next day. When I turned 65, I enrolled in Medicare with a Supplement policy. I continued to pay the premiums with our company for my spouse. After six months, UPS sent me a letter wanting to know why I had additional insurance. I called the number on our insurance card and was told that I would have to cancel my new policy because "I was covered for life with UPS". I received that statement from 3 different people. It turns out I (as well as you) was dealing with a third party who is contracted to administer the plan. Well, I cancelled my new policies. The very next month I received the new booklet for Teamcare. Found two separate articles stating my insurance indeed was supposed to expire on myself at age 65. I finally had talk with someone at UPS and not the third party to correct the problem. Then more problems, I had to have proof of insurance to reinstate my previous policy because it had been over 6 months since I turned 65 and the person with UPS refused to help me. I actually had to go through Corporate Office of UPS to straighten out the mess. So, just be aware, this is a third party administering this plan who don't have a clue.

I don't have Teamcare. I still have UPS insurance even though I'm retired (which is how it is in my local). And the people I talked to were in Atlanta and in the union, not a third party.