missed peak this year...

ideliver2u67

20 Down
Reading all the threads about how bad peak was actually makes me feel bad I missed it. The Friday after Thanksgiving, I was working in my woodshop and nearly cut my pinky finger off on the table saw. Went to the ER and they sewed it up until I had surgery 2 weeks later. Had the tendon and nerves repaired, and still have no feeling yet, and can't move it.. my co-workers say how lucky I was to miss peak, but they are also cashing in those huge checks, meanwhile I wait for my measly 277 dollars from disability. I wish now I had disability insurace, but I didnt ( leason learned). I realize the hours sucked for you guys this year, however, there is a certain amount of pride that goes into knowing you made someones Christmas. And that, is what I truly missed this year, not the money.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
Well, yea. Of course. But there is a certain amount of pride that goes into our job, and not being part of that right now sucks. My wife also has a new business that is a gift shop, but we also refinish and refurbish furniture, and now that has been compromised as well. I'm not whining about money, but how quickly life can change, and what you really find rewarding when things do change.

Ouch

Check your homeowners about the insurance. A friend of mine had some kind of clause that covered him if he had an accident at home. It could have been supplemental but im almost certain is was in his homeowners. Hope you make a full recovery, and back at it soon.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I know how you feel. I had total knee replacement surgery in August. Worked my but off to be back for peak. This peak was an extreme challenge but rewarding in that I took care of my customers and made service every day.

KneesHurt

I too missed peak due to joint replacement surgery in my thumb. Also waited for those $234.00 a week disability checks. Fortunately I was able to save up before surgery just enough to get by. I did miss those checks but I had the best holidays with the family this year. Wife and kids all commented how nice I was this year and not sleeping all day on Xmas day. It was the 1st Xmas in 29 years I was able to really enjoy it. Bad thing is how quick the weight goes up and when I go back next week I know it's going to be rough

Mike57

Here's a tall tale.
Back in 2004, I was off for 6 weeks. Had surgery, and couldn't drive,so I moved in with my folks while I was mending. As soon as I was able to walk, my father threw me my jacket and said let's go for a walk. I walked better than 2 miles most days, and ate better than I did when I was working. Surprise, I lost 8 to 10 pounds while I was off. Go figure.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why couldn't you also file for unemployment? Here we have guys that opt out for surgery and then ask UPS for light duty. When denied light duty they can then file for unemployment and collect the difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ouch gave some good advice----check your homeowner's policy as many have supplemental disability policies contained therein.

I have had Combined supplemental insurance, which covers me 24/7, ever since going FT. It has served me quite well on several occasions.

Your Union local may also have supplemental disability coverage for their members.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I got hurt on the job during peak....got light duty, kept my overtime and with all the meetings, probably got paid for more hours than if I were loading. Still wasn't worth it....