Missorts

The truck that I am in is one that is known for missorts because it is the truck that does all the local runs, with a lot of shippers around the area. Since being moved into truck, I have had three grievance meetings within a period of 6 months (I had one in 11 months before it). The people realize that the truck is hard, and the best people haven't been able to handle it and I am not one of the best. I have the whole truck memorized by zips and city and I am facing a suspension in my meeting. What would you do in this situation if you were me in your meeting?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The truck that I am in is one that is known for missorts because it is the truck that does all the local runs, with a lot of shippers around the area. Since being moved into truck, I have had three grievance meetings within a period of 6 months (I had one in 11 months before it). The people realize that the truck is hard, and the best people haven't been able to handle it and I am not one of the best. I have the whole truck memorized by zips and city and I am facing a suspension in my meeting. What would you do in this situation if you were me in your meeting?

Don't say **anything** in the meeting except "I will do my best to improve and continue working safely and productively".. that is what your steward will probably advise, also. Let the steward do the talking.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,

"I will do my best to improve and continue working safely and productively"

Man do i feel better about my monday coming up......Lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,

Man do i feel better about my monday coming up......Lol

:)
When I was terminated in 2005 that's what the steward told me to say to the DM in the meeting and nothing else. I said it roughly 3 times in 3 different ways dodging his questions. The steward was laughing his **** off afterwards.

Yeah, this is serious though, I was doing great with missorts (about 1/4,000) before I was put in the truck. Now they are saying it is me, even though it obviously isn't because most don't last in that truck for as long as I have, due to missorts.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
You say the load that your management team has assigned to you has a lot of pickup work due to the high volume of shippers in your area. Let me start by saying that management can terminate you for a poor service frequency after taking all of the nessecary disciplinary steps. It doesn't matter what your union steward tells you to say, or not to say when speaking with management on the service aspect of your job. Now, I will offer advice to you on how you can best correct the issues you are facing. You say your area has a lot of local shippers. These are small business owners that may not make very many shipments per month. Therefore, could easily make a mistake in the shipping process (example: bad or incorrect labels).

I will give you examples of how the misload could be errors on the shippers end of the process:

If a shipper reuses a tracking number that has been used in the past it could result in a misload. What happens is this... You scan a package into the trailer ULD. This is an incorrect physical scan location. The information is then uploaded into the UPS mainframe for customer tracking visibility. This tracking number then goes into the Service Exception and Analysis System (SEAS). SEAS will charge hub with a misload due to the fact that the tracking number has two destinations. So which is correct? Management would need to type the tracking number into electronic tracking and tracing (eTT) to find which address associated with the PTN (package tracking number) has the most recent delivery date and check to see if the most recent destination address corisponds with the misload that SEAS charged. This is unlikely to happen, but it does happen. However, you will never know if it does because I doubt your supervisor or manager dig this deep into misloads. Bottom line is that you need to check them. Keep in mind that this will only apply to you if you load feeders. Never load any package that has a crossed out zip code, and has a new one written in with a pen, or a package that has a SLIC and zip code that do not match up. Let your supervisor be aware of the issue with the package. You would be foolish to try and use this information to validate your reason to misload. The amount of packages that you will load or see with incorrect information in your time as a loader will be small. Not enough to drop your service freq. below MAR.

Now here is an issue that you will face almost on a daily basis. This is not really a shipper error, but rather the lack of information. You will notice that not all packages that enter the UPS system have a 1Z PTN. You will see packages with labels that are not smart. By smart I mean they do not contain a maxicode (bullseye looking thing) or a 420 bar code. You would see a handwritten address with a small rectangular label with a PTN that starts with a K. These are what most people call K labels. You as the loader need to really make sure you are reading the handwritten address carefully, and double checking to make sure it is not a RTS. Verify the information that you read matches with the SPA label if you are loading a PC.

Other than the K label issue, the best advice that I can offer you would be to make sure you follow the UPS read method. Read town, city, state, zip or as far as nessecary to verify that the package is being loaded into the correct PC or trailer. Think as if you were the driver and need to know exactly to whom and where this package needs to go. My point is, read with more detail. The word misload is a verb. Packages do not place themselves into a PC or trailer in which they do not belong. It takes a person to put them there.

Another suggestion... Why don't you ask your supervisor to be placed in a different load that possibly has an easier check? We need to utilize our people to the best of our ability. To do that we should place them in areas of the operation that will allow them to be most successful, and contribute to our company. These are my thoughts on the issue. Hopefully you can correct the issue using some of my advice. No matter where you work within the operation, the basic principles of servicing the packages apply... Just think about the new bride waiting for the on time delivery of her wedding invitations.:happy2: