More Global Warming

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Maybe that's all they know is farming. Do you know the cost of getting new land in CA.? If it were up to me, turn on the water and let the fields get irrigated.
You can't question the existence of God on an internet site. I see a big difference right away. I capitalize the word (God)out of respect for my beliefs and you don't. I also bow my head at the name Jesus.....that's just the way I was brought up. It's a gift. Nothing else to say.
I'm not questioning the existence of your god, I'm asking why you think that certain outcomes are part of his plan, while other outcomes are not. And how do you know which is which?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can't speak for Moreluck but IMO, A. no God doesn't direct everything that happens in the world.
B. There have been many species of animals and fish that have become extinct and the rest of the world is still here and turning. Will it do that for eternity? None of us know nor will ever know. Would you have fought to save the dinosaurs from extinction, in reality I hardly think so.

We agree on that part.

As far as saving the dinosaurs, their extinction was a result of a global event that wiped out a majority of the species that were around at the time, it's not the kind of thing that we would have any control over even if it happened today. The situation with the smelt on the other hand is one that we do have control over. BTW I'm not advocating for the smelt, I haven't read up on the issue and I don't know what all the ramifications are. I was interested in why moreluck thought it might be part of gods plan for the smelt to die out, and that we were interfering with him in some way by preventing that.

We agree on that part.

As far as saving the dinosaurs, their extinction was a result of a global event that wiped out a majority of the species that were around at the time, it's not the kind of thing that we would have any control over even if it happened today. The situation with the smelt on the other hand is one that we do have control over. BTW I'm not advocating for the smelt, I haven't read up on the issue and I don't know what all the ramifications are. I was interested in why moreluck thought it might be part of gods plan for the smelt to die out, and that we were interfering with him in some way by preventing that.

The question isn't really..if we could or not have an impact of saving the dinosaurs...the question is...would you if we could.

Most of the "save the whale" types that I have heard speak are believers in God, or they talk a real good game anyway. One of their premises are creatures of God and ALL creatures should have the same rights. For a believer in God and the Bible, that argument doesn't hold up, but that's a whole nuther topic.
Anyway, I don't see this as a "corporate America" profit thing as many of these farms are indeed generational family farms, to destroy their very livelihood is just wrong IMO.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The question isn't really..if we could or not have an impact of saving the dinosaurs...the question is...would you if we could.

Most of the "save the whale" types that I have heard speak are believers in God, or they talk a real good game anyway. One of their premises are creatures of God and ALL creatures should have the same rights. For a believer in God and the Bible, that argument doesn't hold up, but that's a whole nuther topic.
Anyway, I don't see this as a "corporate America" profit thing as many of these farms are indeed generational family farms, to destroy their very livelihood is just wrong IMO.

The answer is "that depends". But all things being equal I don't see any good reason why we should actively contribute to the extinction of any other species if we don't really need to, and that would include dinosaurs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think you are being dishonest with yourself. If you had your whole live invested in a family farm and all of a sudden a group of do-gooders were going to take it away from you, you would fight to your last breath. Either that or you're just not human.

Can't speak for Moreluck but IMO, A. no God doesn't direct everything that happens in the world.
B. There have been many species of animals and fish that have become extinct and the rest of the world is still here and turning. Will it do that for eternity? None of us know nor will ever know. Would you have fought to save the dinosaurs from extinction, in reality I hardly think so.

More and more you post things that say much to do about you but nothing about me.

wkmac

Here's a Q:

Could God create a stone so large he could not lift?

:sick:

The real question would be, would man "allow" god to lift it after man had cut and carved the rock into a god image, sanctified it as holy and therefore moving it would violate creed and dogma?

:happy-very:

As to the smelt, smelt is what some might call a bait fish. It's mainly in the foodchain for salmon and trout. They spawn in late spring and live a year mostly in the delta region where salt and fresh water merge and then return to spawn and die in the backwaters of the fresh water tributaries to the delta region. Unfortunately industrial food farming blasts the soil so much with petro chemicals and such that the soil itself over time begins to lose it's water retention abilities. It thus take large volumes of continuous watering to grow crops and thus the American heartland are depleting the aquifers and other water resources. Even if you sacrifice the smelt now for this farming approach, it's not sustainable and at some point in the future the current industrial farming methods will crash anyway. Killing the smelt will deplete a segment of the foodchain for salmon and trout and thus a potential food source for man could also be adversely effected at the same time as the depleting effects of industrial farming begin to accelerate.

Saving the smelt is also about saving the farm as well.

[video=youtube;sYWYU5V8JOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWYU5V8JOo[/video]

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Was I supposed to posting something about you??? I was asking you a question.
Just what, in your intellectually superior opinion was I "say much to do about" me ? I'm not even sure what you mean by this post.

" If you had your whole live invested in a family farm and all of a sudden a group of do-gooders were going to take it away from you, you would fight to your last breath. Either that or you're just not human."

A couple of points.

First, you did not ask me any questions. I do not see a question mark in this post.

Secondly, the "do-gooders" you are challenging... The farm clearly doesn't own the water they are slurping up for benefit. How is it wrong to take away something they do not own to begin with?

You are a Republican to my knowledge therefore must value ownership of property. Therefore you must respect when property is NOT owned as well. You cannot have it both ways. Correct?

In a truly egalitarian society of common ownership and means of production, there would be no issues at all here. Anarcho communism ftw? :happy-very:

In all seriousness, only in capitalist America is it a sin to protect an endangered species. God will punish those who try to buffer the minnow count. Seriously...:wink2:

Lastly you were saying that since I or anyone subscribed to saving the species of fish instead of a farm, even if my family owned it and relied on it, I were not human. Well if someone stays true to what they believe instead of the usual "do as I say, not as I do" approach we see so often, then I guess I am inhuman. Sorry that my views don't live up to your expectations, Trp, but that ain't changing anything.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The real question would be, would man "allow" god to lift it after man had cut and carved the rock into a god image, sanctified it as holy and therefore moving it would violate creed and dogma?

:happy-very:

As to the smelt, smelt is what some might call a bait fish. It's mainly in the foodchain for salmon and trout. They spawn in late spring and live a year mostly in the delta region where salt and fresh water merge and then return to spawn and die in the backwaters of the fresh water tributaries to the delta region. Unfortunately industrial food farming blasts the soil so much with petro chemicals and such that the soil itself over time begins to lose it's water retention abilities. It thus take large volumes of continuous watering to grow crops and thus the American heartland are depleting the aquifers and other water resources. Even if you sacrifice the smelt now for this farming approach, it's not sustainable and at some point in the future the current industrial farming methods will crash anyway. Killing the smelt will deplete a segment of the foodchain for salmon and trout and thus a potential food source for man could also be adversely effected at the same time as the depleting effects of industrial farming begin to accelerate.

Saving the smelt is also about saving the farm as well.

[/video]
A ghoul with no soul, going straight to he** to be punished. Yup, Christian conservatives ftl.