More Seasonal Driver Helper Questions

moreluck

golden ticket member
"they think its time for tea talk..."

Xking.....if this means you think women are a little on the gabby side, let me explain why....it's true that women speak 50% more words than men. It's because most men don't listen and end up saying, "huh?" and the women have to repeat everything. C'mon, you know it's true...:)

K9BITESME

All bark and no bite
"they think its time for tea talk..."

Yeah well, I can't speak for all women(no pun intended) but I usually get a feel for when someone is talkative or if they'd rather just be left alone and get the job done. I'm usually social when someone is social to me. :wink: But I know how to "politic" too...

ragu

Hello! I'm new to this forum.

Am I going to be doing lifting tests or timed drills or is the request for attire because of the UPS locations (i.e., is there a tour of the facility or something).

That would be a great idea. Just set up some cones out in the yard and have a sup with a stopwatch making them run sprints, then maybe see how much they can squat. It would be like the UPS rookie combine. If not that how about just having them step on a scale, being 5'8 and 250 doesn't make for a great helper.

I thought I recognized you K9bitesme. I have worked with some of your relatives. As one of the morons I feel compelled to say that you asked for it in the Tone of your question. It is fair to ask how women are treated in this business. In your Security job experiance do you feel you were treated differently then the men? I have been in a related occupation and when those types of questions came up, so did the red flags. "I don't want to work with her (him) and get dinged for discrimination" when things don't go well. The "They picked on me because I'm____________" Not 'cause I can't carry my end of the log. Sorry If I and the other maroon got your post wrong, apparently both of us nitwits saw something that wasn't there.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
Personally I don't give cr@p if your male or female. All I want you to do is to move when I tell you too and to be quick about it! You can talk all you want. I give you the box and tell you where to take it and get back to the truck ASAP! Nothing hard or complicated but you will move fast or you will not be on my truck the next day!

K9BITESME

All bark and no bite
I thought I recognized you K9bitesme. I have worked with some of your relatives. As one of the morons I feel compelled to say that you asked for it in the Tone of your question. It is fair to ask how women are treated in this business. In your Security job experiance do you feel you were treated differently then the men? I have been in a related occupation and when those types of questions came up, so did the red flags. "I don't want to work with her (him) and get dinged for discrimination" when things don't go well. The "They picked on me because I'm____________" Not 'cause I can't carry my end of the log. Sorry If I and the other maroon got your post wrong, apparently both of us nitwits saw something that wasn't there.

Well, it's all water under the bridge now...to me. I only want to do a good job. By the way, doing Security work is a whole lot different than what I will be doing for UPS. I also don't believe in taking a job that I felt uncomfortable in where I am around men. I don't play that card either.

K9BITESME

All bark and no bite
Personally I don't give cr@p if your male or female. All I want you to do is to move when I tell you too and to be quick about it! You can talk all you want. I give you the box and tell you where to take it and get back to the truck ASAP! Nothing hard or complicated but you will move fast or you will not be on my truck the next day!

Looking forward to it.:thumbup1:

I work preload now but was a helper last year. It paid $8.50 I usually only worked 4 hours a day but occasionaly was passed off to another driver and got more hours, overtime kicked in after 8 hours. The driver ran my butt off but he was a cool guy and we had fun.

I asked about being able to be a helper this year and I was told that the company had to exhaust all of it's outside resources before they would let existing employees be a helper, I guess it's a way for them to find new victims I mean employees.

Solus

From my experience, it all depends on the individuals. When I was a helper last year, my preference was to go as fast as I could. My first driver preferred that the packages be 'properly' hidden and protected from the elements (he was new lol), and scolded me when I started jogging to the houses. My second driver just wanted to get the job done quickly, so I was doing more of a marathon with him. He was so happy that he payed me out of his own pocket to keep me past 8 hours.

Accommodate to the driver's style and they'll just be happy to see the job going by more smoothly. Especially since they're always pissed (and rightfully so) about the way the new employees screw up loading the trucks. I got to hear some classic rants :laugh:

Brownnblue

Exactly! I am not in here trying to get a date. I had a good question, or so I thought. I was just courious of who "they" pair you up with. I personally have no problem working with men because I work with them as a Security Officer at a major hospital in my area and deal with a lot of crap. But I asked my question because I have seen female drivers for UPS and I just wondered if they preferred you to be with a female driver if you are a female. What was so hard about that simple question? I personally could care less...oh well, I will find out anyway when I go to my interview on Wed. the 15th.

Second question: What do the Seasonal Driver Helpers wear? A uniform or street clothes? I hope that's an easier question for the other two morons who dove off the deep end.:lol:

I have only had one female driver helper, but she was very, very good. Weighed in at about 90 pounds and was tough as nails. No gender issues here.

I work in a small center and we don't have any female drivers so female helpers don't have too much of choice here. I can't see it making too much of a difference though, there isn't alot of time to think about such things when your trying to deliver 40 boxes of Lands End NDA savers to a second floor.
Driver's helpers wear goofy looking brown overalls that make you look like Goober on the Andy Griffith show.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

MacLeod82

Disgruntled Pkg Handler
Re: Seasonal Driver Helper-for a female

Hi everyone.:)
I applied for the Seasonal Driver Helper job...but I am a female and I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly of this job for us females.

The Good:
Lots of exercise. I'm betting they'd pair you with another female if you asked the helper coordinator.

The Bad: You make less than half what your driver does. You have to wear a brown uniform and are given one pair of pants for it. Your feet will hurt.

The Ugly: Peeing in a bottle in the back of a truck may be difficult for some women :ohmy::blushing:
And you don't want to know the stories I've heard about Driver 'Release' Bags... (officially, used for protecting packages from whether)

xkingx

I asked about being able to be a helper this year and I was told that the company had to exhaust all of it's outside resources before they would let existing employees be a helper, I guess it's a way for them to find new victims I mean employees.

you might want to look into that a bit more...I do believe they exhaust UPS employees then their friends/family then they go to the outside...

K9BITESME

All bark and no bite
Okay,...had the interview this morning at 9am and was asked to come back at 1pm for orientation. :thumbup1: They performed a background check as well. So I saw the videos,learned about having to use the DIAD,did the paper work, wrote down uniform sizes and I should be well on my way when they call me after Thanksgiving. I will work till Dec. 22nd and then it's supposed to be over with I guess, unless they offer me permanent employment. Anyone had that happen to them?

Okay,...had the interview this morning at 9am and was asked to come back at 1pm for orientation. :thumbup1: They performed a background check as well. So I saw the videos,learned about having to use the DIAD,did the paper work, wrote down uniform sizes and I should be well on my way when they call me after Thanksgiving. I will work till Dec. 22nd and then it's supposed to be over with I guess, unless they offer me permanent employment. Anyone had that happen to them?

Yes, sounds like everything at UPS is pretty much done "by the book". I'm anxious to see what UPS is all about. I have no intention of working past this "season", but I look forward to the experience.