More transformation??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Congrads on getting out while you can Hoaxster. Least you knew the company before the only focus became maximizing earnings per share. Must have been nice to work here at one time...

Thanks Dawg!

One constant in my 40 years is that UPS has always been about production and cost containment.
That may be different than what you mean by "maximizing earnings per share" but I imagine it's about the same.
Two things that come to mind that have changed has been "opportunity" and "growth" in particular, but not limited to, the stock growth.
I imagine the opportunity is an area that you feel pinched on.

texan

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement Hoax!
I echo this!!! Congats Hoax. Very well deserved.
Here you are next year in the field taking photos:
bear-photographer_2426634k.jpg

johnbuck

I don't think theres plan for reduction in regions anytime soon. Yesterday the East Regional VP of Sales accepted a job in Corporate and was immeditaly replaced by a Enterprise DOS. I would think this change wouldnt of occured if reductions in regions were expected

beentheredonethat

You may be right.. but often very few people know exactly what will be occurring if a region is collapsed (or districts). If a region collapses it most likely will be the central region and we will have an east\west region. The whole idea or regions is outdated, we shouldn't have that anymore. We should just have the local operating areas (districts) and they all report to corporate. It's a layer of mgmt that is unnecessary with modern technology.

krazywolf

Get use to doing a whole lot more with even less. The new wave of corporate management. Wonder why no one wants to fill the empty management slots

TxRoadDawg

Thanks Dawg!

One constant in my 40 years is that UPS has always been about production and cost containment.
That may be different than what you mean by "maximizing earnings per share" but I imagine it's about the same.
Two things that come to mind that have changed has been "opportunity" and "growth" in particular, but not limited to, the stock growth.
I imagine the opportunity is an area that you feel pinched on.

40 years, couldn't imagine that myself. Gotta ask, how was it deliving packages by horse and buggy before we got trucks :funny:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was in the Corporate office today turning in my retirement paperwork.
I walked the entire Corporate office floor by floor, cube by cube saying goodbye to people I know.
It had been 5 years or so since I had been on the floors and I was shocked by the number of empty cubes.
I estimate 20 - 30% of the cubes were vacant, no name plate and totally empty.

It was obvious that staffing had been reduced in the last few years.

Congrats!!! Were you able to say goodbye to the CEO, did he give you any words of wisdom on your retirement??

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Get use to doing a whole lot more with even less. The new wave of corporate management. Wonder why no one wants to fill the empty management slots

Paper pushing and conference calls aren't considered real work to me, but I get what you are trying to say. I wouldn't take a region position at this point in time either...but Full-time sups and even base level managers are typically safe and out of the way of these type of collapses and buyouts. There should be plenty of people jumping for those spots.

UPSwidow

Paper pushing and conference calls aren't considered real work to me, but I get what you are trying to say. I wouldn't take a region position at this point in time either...but Full-time sups and even base level managers are typically safe and out of the way of these type of collapses and buyouts. There should be plenty of people jumping for those spots.

"There should be plenty of people jumping for those spots."

Not sure where you are but in my area, they can't find anyone to take the on car full time supe. It has gotten to the point where they are bringing in people off the street. People with no knowledge of operations whatsoever. Nobody wants it. Scratch that, anyone who knows what the job really is.....doesn't want it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
"There should be plenty of people jumping for those spots."

Not sure where you are but in my area, they can't find anyone to take the on car full time supe. It has gotten to the point where they are bringing in people off the street. People with no knowledge of operations whatsoever. Nobody wants it. Scratch that, anyone who knows what the job really is.....doesn't want it.

That's.....crazy. What is there to be scared of? People? Work? If you don't have people in your building who aren't scared of dealing with people, and having a little work to do, then maybe it's for the better. That's not to say that bringing green people off the street will be productive....wow!

ppHATE

That's.....crazy. What is there to be scared of? People? Work? If you don't have people in your building who aren't scared of dealing with people, and having a little work to do, then maybe it's for the better. That's not to say that bringing green people off the street will be productive....wow!

its not "scared" so to speak, its just an undesirable job with little to no upside... you get the crap beaten out of you, the days are long and the money isn't even there.. these drivers are now carrying home just as much, if not more that an onroad supervisor.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I am only limited on how fast I can "forward" an email by my connection to the server...

Transformation!!

2BOver

Three districts going down - probably this week. Think about it, they announced two district manager retirements last week in the East Region with no replacements announced. The DM in North Cal is already gone I think......just paves the way to reduce by three. It would also explain why so many management jobs are open now.

beentheredonethat

LongTimeComing, there was a point not all that long ago (well maybe it seems like a long time ago for younger folks), where a lot of on road supervisors came from the driver ranks. Including drivers with full seniority and at top rate. Many did it, with the idea that yes, the work would be hard, but they would be rewarded financially for it. Also, there was further upward mobility. Now... I haven't heard of a top rate driver switching to being an on road supv around here in at least 5 years. There may be some, I just haven't heard of it. I have seen some relatively new drivers who weren't top rate make the switch.

It's not hard work that they fear, since a driver already does hard physical work. But when a driver punches out, he has no worries of the job until he comes back in the next day. An on road and ctr mgr don't have that luxury. You are responsible if one of your drivers does anything wrong. You will be second guessed by a lot of people. (Very easy to play monday morning QB and we excel at that at UPS). You will be paying a lot more for your H&W then you would as a driver, so whatever extra you may make is gone with the H&W. If you do make a mistake, you really have no protection like the union. Also, if they want they can easily up and move you to another center and your day will be that much longer adding in an extra 1/2 hour or more commute each way. Also, tomorrow you can go from days, to working nights in the hub, or working preload. When there was upward mobility, and the pay rate was higher and we didn't pay an arm and a leg for our H&W (compared to the drivers) and when we had enough staffing, then the job was good.