More transformation??

island1fox

I spent four years of my life in a very tough area of NYC -Harlem and then the South Bronx when it was burning as an on -car.

Very tough job --taught me many of lifes lessons --prepared me for a long and successful career with UPS --the financial rewards were well worth it --just livin the Rags to Riches Dream.:wink2:

island1fox

Thank you. Does seem strange in a 20 District system --no replacements for three Districts announced----it is the end of January.

curiousbrain

Thank you. Does seem strange in a 20 District system --no replacements for three Districts announced----it is the end of January.

The scuttlebutt around 07/20 has been we won't be with 43rd street anymore - not many seem too upset by the prospect. Then again, in a year people might be begging to go back to NY.

island1fox

The scuttlebutt around 07/20 has been we won't be with 43rd street anymore - not many seem too upset by the prospect. Then again, in a year people might be begging to go back to NY.

BB,

Sorry. I do not understand what you are saying. 43rd street is a building in Mid -Manhattan which is part of the Northeast District - covered by Local 8o4.

curiousbrain

My understanding (which is flawed in many ways) is that North Atlantic never used to be run from NY, but in the past few years was given to NY. Many managers have expressed their opinion to me that we, in the (slightly) greater CT area, are not NY and run very differently - yet, no one seems to really factor that into their planning.

Supposedly, this rumored restructuring will remove North Atlantic (or whatever it will be after the restructuring) from NY.

Again, rumors upon rumors, filtered through many layers of management, down to a PT sup. I speak of many things of which I know nothing - as is par for the course, of course :P.

ppHATE

So we're down to 17 districts now. Let the mad scramble for staff jobs commence. Now add in the people who were on special assignments for the TNT integration and what we now have is a high stakes game of musical chairs. One of the very rare times as a management person when you're glad you stayed close to the packages as I was advised 20 years ago.

beentheredonethat

But, lots of mgmt retiring. It was announced that two District mgrs were retiring in just the last month. I'm sure similarly, there are a lot of staff mgrs who retired this year and the folks from the collapsed districts will move into those jobs.

TxRoadDawg

Don't forget those nice lateral transfers. Make a salesman a dm or a nurse a center manager and make some excess staff on cars so they can all get their I did operations merit badge on the resume.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I cringe a little when people say they worked for UPS but managed to never be in the operations....

"Oh, so you work at UPS too?!? Awesome buddy!! Where at?"

"Yeah, I've been in sales for just over 3 years now!!!"

".....Oh. Nevermind."

beentheredonethat

Longtimecoming... I know a lot of people who have similar opinions as you do. For some reason, we seem to foster the us against them attitude. It's a good thing when it's us (UPS) vs them (FDX) or them (DHL) or them (USPS) etc. But when it's us (ops mgrs) vs them (staff mgrs).. why??? Some people's career path is operations, some are staff, some like myself have done both.

Personally, I liked it when we had all mgmt go driving (and not just for 30 days). I think it gave everyone a better appreciation of our drivers and more importantly, our customers.

Just like we need our service providers and we need our feeder drivers and we need our hub ops folks and we need our mechanics. We also need sales, we need finance, we need IE, we need LP, we need our IT folks... They are all vital to having a well run company.

I've done a lot of jobs both in ops and in staff. Not one job was "easy". Some may be easier then others, some I did better then others. Some I had more aptitude for then others. But they all required time and effort and sweat.

beentheredonethat

Problem is some staff forget their function is to support ops, and without ops experience they lack some understanding.
I do agree 100% that ops experience is important and helps in understanding the other person's job. However, many staff jobs are not their to support ops any more or less then ops is their to support staff. We are all their to support the customer in one fashion or another. It may be in cost cutting to have as low rates as possible while still being profitable, it may be in going out and winning new customers or keeping existing customers, it may be in hiring people to staff our operations. It may be to pay our electric and fuel bills etc. We wouldn't be as efficient or possibly even stay in business if we didn't have each of the functions doing their job.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Longtimecoming... I know a lot of people who have similar opinions as you do. For some reason, we seem to foster the us against them attitude. It's a good thing when it's us (UPS) vs them (FDX) or them (DHL) or them (USPS) etc. But when it's us (ops mgrs) vs them (staff mgrs).. why??? Some people's career path is operations, some are staff, some like myself have done both.

Personally, I liked it when we had all mgmt go driving (and not just for 30 days). I think it gave everyone a better appreciation of our drivers and more importantly, our customers.

Just like we need our service providers and we need our feeder drivers and we need our hub ops folks and we need our mechanics. We also need sales, we need finance, we need IE, we need LP, we need our IT folks... They are all vital to having a well run company.

I've done a lot of jobs both in ops and in staff. Not one job was "easy". Some may be easier then others, some I did better then others. Some I had more aptitude for then others. But they all required time and effort and sweat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. I do not support or intend to foster internal Us vs Them, was simply a playful jab at the typical relationship. But it still doesn't change the fact that you would imagine that it would best benefit the company to hire people FROM the ops, if their job will be affecting the ops. In your case, I have no problem.

I think TxRoadDawg hit it on the head...basically what I'm saying.