Most Helpers are a bunch of crybabies...

JakeD

All that and the best job you can come up with to earn extra money two years in a row is a UPS helper? :bsbullf:

which part is BS? Until T-day i was the athletic trainer for a local HS football team and did Per Diem work for a local college when they needed me. driver helper gives me consistent hours, weekends off and i knew what I was doing this year so it was easy. would you rather me work at Walmart for $8/hr with inconsistent hours, weekends and stupid people?

RI's economy is in the :censored2:ter. hence why i'm going back to school for a job that is more consistent and easily transferable between states.

dragracer66

Well said! That goes for feeder casuals also. Biggest bunch of cry babies I have to deal with all year. They don't want to drive certain rentals, don't wanna work over night, cry when they are forced to work the weekend because the real drivers are out of hours! Then they bring a write up into the shop for a rental that's not safety related and when we tell them its ok to run they give us the attitude and storm out of the shop. THAT'S WHAT YOUR FRIGGIN HIRED FOR! YOUR UPS'S BITCHES TILL THE END OF THE YEAR, THEN BACK TO YOUR COUCHES!!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never had a really bad helper, some were a little strange though. The most annoying one was a guy who sang xmas carols all day as we rode along, but he hardly knew any of the actual words so he would sing the same verse over and over or make stuff up. Once I got some rich guy who was just bored ( he had started his own company and sold it, lived in a million+ dollar house on my route) and would show up at the meet point in his bmw, he was funny because he thought it was just the coolest thing to wear a UPS uniform. My favorite helpers were older folks or retirees who were just looking for a little extra cash or something to do during the holidays, they had life stories and were the most interesting to talk to.

Marne Vet

I never had a really bad helper, some were a little strange though. The most annoying one was a guy who sang xmas carols all day as we rode along, but he hardly knew any of the actual words so he would sing the same verse over and over or make stuff up. Once I got some rich guy who was just bored ( he had started his own company and sold it, lived in a million+ dollar house on my route) and would show up at the meet point in his bmw, he was funny because he thought it was just the coolest thing to wear a UPS uniform. My favorite helpers were older folks or retirees who were just looking for a little extra cash or something to do during the holidays, they had life stories and were the most interesting to talk to.

I had one guy three years in a row that was just awesome. Very intelligent, he was always on time, never once complained about the job, and I never had to point to a door because he was able to figure out the complex address system by just looking at the numbers. I know, crazy talk, but it's true. Wish he could've been my helper until I retired, but the economy is picking back up, and he ran his own business building and designing cabinets.

Overpaid Union Thug

The helpers just trying to make EXTRA cash or working because they are bored are rare nowadays. I've only had a couple of those over the years. It's mostly degenerates and thugs now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It is our God given right to piss bitch and moan. If some of you helpers think we drivers are Mr. Rogers in brown well I am sorry to disappoint. We complain about the weather, we complain about the loads, we complain about our bosses, and yes we complain about you precious helpers. Complaining helps us cope with the unreal situation we faced this year. If you thought that we drove around in some Norman Rockwell painting and that it was all sunshine and lollipops, well I am truly sorry to disappoint you. Daily we do the impossible and we make it look easy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

which part is BS? Until T-day i was the athletic trainer for a local HS football team and did Per Diem work for a local college when they needed me. driver helper gives me consistent hours, weekends off and i knew what I was doing this year so it was easy. would you rather me work at Walmart for $8/hr with inconsistent hours, weekends and stupid people?

RI's economy is in the :censored2:ter. hence why i'm going back to school for a job that is more consistent and easily transferable between states.

What part of RI are you from? I am from Woonsocket originally.

quicksilver70

I'm sure there's a helper reading this that thinks he's the greatest helper that ever worked for Brown. Let me assure you that you're not. You're a seasonal Pack Mule. That's it. You take packages from point A to point B. Most of the time we have to hold your hand and almost walk you to the doors because you never seem to be able to figure out which green door with the yellow frame that I'm pointing to, which also happens to be the only green door with a yellow frame on the entire street. I know, shocking isn't it.

Every year you studs get on our package cars and act all hardcore for the first few days. Maybe even a week, but then the crying starts. First you cry about being sore. Then how much work we have, or how long you have to work. Then you want to know when you're getting paid, and we've only delivered two stops on the first Monday. Relax Captain Express. Lets finish the first day before we start investing your check on Wall Street. OK? Next you show-up always wearing something you were explicitly told not to, like some bright colored undershirt as if it's your other job to stand next to an open manhole cover. I guess Grandma won't fall in the hole as long as you're standing there in your triple bright neon orange t-shirt, but we honestly could care less about that. Most of us don't care if you show-up wearing just a sock on your junk as long as you're on time every day. We also appreciate it when you keep the bitching to a minimum, and you don't show-up smelling like hot balls. Your job is to show up when we tell you, do as you're instructed, be able to lift whatever I lift, and hustle. Stay off your phone, and don't walk to a stop like you're on Death Row. There should NEVER be an excuse for a driver to knock-off 2-3 stops to every one of yours. If that's the case you're too damn slow. Pick it up or beat it. I don't mind firing helpers and taking my chances with the next pick of the draw.

Next, your personal affairs do not interest me. I don't care if Honey Boo-Boo is home sick, and you need to leave early to get her chicken friend'ing soup. I don't care if every Tuesday you have get the hair on your :censored2: trimmed, or you can't find an friend'ing babysitter. Grow up kids. You want a job, then learn how to make it work. Get your :censored2: in order BEFORE you come to work, and leave the Excuse Manual at home. None of us buy it. We've heard it all before. We know why you had to call out on that coincidentally rainy day. You're a labia, we get it. Oh, it's Friday and at 3 PM you suddenly have cramps? Sure. Everyone loves to get done early on Friday, so how about you just finish the job so we can both go home at a decent hour? You know, it suddenly dawned on me that a few of you might be offended by this. Right now you're engaging your CAPS LOCK, and getting ready to "tell me how it is". Right. Cut the :censored2:. Those of you that run to [our] place on the web to bitch and moan about your drivers are the biggest labia majoras I know. We don't give a :censored2: if you think it's unfair that the stops aren't delivered equally. We're the quarterbacks, and this is our team. When you get your chance to earn my seat you can call the shots. Until that time stuff it, do what you're told, or find a nice job more suitable for you like McDonald's. Supersize the Hell out my meal when I take my lunch, and say "Here ya go sir!" because you haven't earned the right to debate your position. Don't like it? Don't do it. If you're too wet behind the ears to have adult conversations with your driver(s) about the very :censored2: you come here to bitch about, then this job isn't for you. I'm sick of reading whinny posts from helpers that can't figure out their job is to run off stops. That's it Box Warriors. It's not rocket science!

I had a helper quit today on one of the busiest days ever because he wanted to go Christmas shopping. Yup, 3 hours in to our busy day this butt jockey tried to make-up some lame excuse that even Stevie Wonder could see through, and decided he just had to leave. Let me say that again, he left to go shopping, and now he doesn't have a job. Genius right? Already broke as balls he figured he just had to get to the Mall and spend money he doesn't have, and left me stuck, which is nothing new. Been doing this for two decades. I've seen these guys come and go. I can count on half of one hand how many were solid helpers. Every Peak we deal with these clowns. I tipped the Hell out of this guy every week. Even had $50 in a card for him today, but now it's just extra beer money. Glad he saved me $50, and because he left when he did I can thank him for the 3 hours of bonus I'll make just off the number of stops I had. Thanks dummy. /rant over

quicksilver70

I worked this season in Rhode Island as a helper, I only worked with 3 drivers, they were good at there jobs, which isn't an easy one by far. I only lightened their day a bit. I did hustle and listen to them. I hot on the car and shut my mouth until I was asked a question, than I answered it. I wasn't there to make a life long friend or try to get the driver to put a good word in with the supervisor to get me a part time job at the building. Most if not all veterans had to work for 3 to 5 years part time before they got a full time route. I had fun and worked the job as it was any other job I have had. I expected nothing from the drivers I worked with. I didn't give a crap about how many packages they had nor the stops we had to make. They got paid by the hour and I was in the jump seat as an assistant to them. Together my drivers And I were completing 35 to 40 stops an hour. Last night I got with my driver Joel at 12 noon and we had 225 stops we finished at 6pm. Job done. So anyone that sits in the captains seat is just that the Captain I am just a greenhorn deck hand, and I was greatful for the chance to help the drivers I worked with. To all the people wearing brown I bow to you and say keep going strong. Your work is not unnoticed and is appreciated by the people who matter the person receiving that card board box with their child's medicine inside even though your loader placed it on the wrong shelf and you have to drive 10 miles back the other way to deliver it at night. Thank you

UPSGUY72

I fired My helper Monday left him at a Dunkin N Donuts 10 miles from his car after he gave me a hard time about being on his phone and started to get hostile toward me... 20 year old punk that thinks he knows everything and didn't see the problem with texting or being on his phone every second of the day.

gingerkat

The helpers just trying to make EXTRA cash or working because they are bored are rare nowadays. I've only had a couple of those over the years. It's mostly degenerates and thugs now.

Sent using BrownCafe App
This is rare these days. I guess you would say say I fall in this category, but not for the above reasons.

vwguy76

driver helper gives me consistent hours, weekends off and i knew what I was doing this year so it was easy.

Exactly. And being union anything over 8 hours is overtime (at least in the local I'm in). I got 45 hours week before last. Was a nice paycheck.

mundele

Worst set of helpers I've had in the last 10 years. No one lasted more than two days. "Can you buy me lunch, cigarettes? Can I use your phone so someone can pick up my kid?, etc" Guy I had on Christmas Eve was hitting on girls and trying to get numbers. Ridiculous.

Had great helpers the last two years. Don't know what happened this year.

RPSman

I was a UPS Christmas helper in 1985. I wore the company issued coveralls, and I made deliveries. Was rated eligible for rehire, but by the time I reapplied in 88, had had back surgery and they would not talk to me. Worked for the old RPS from 94 to 99; then did a 6 month stint at the old Airborne Express. So, not all of us are slackers.

phox1515

I don't think i'm the best helper either, however the one and only thing I can think of that I do that is not on your list of desires is that I have one thing that limits me from getting to my driver when he would like me to sometimes, have to share 2 vehicles in my family, and event taking the bus would still maybe only get me there maybe 15-20 min sooner (but still over an hour later than desired) than when i get there via family vehicle. my driver understands though, or at least he hasn't seemed mad about it.

I know what my job is, I was told during orientation, I deliver packages, driver sorts in the back... simple enough, i don't complain, in fact i enjoy my job (although by friday i am tired of it... but by saturday evening i'm wishing it was monday).

like i said, I know i'm not the best and don't expect to be regarded as the best, but i am indeed far from the worst. I can appreciate your honesty though, sorry you have had such crappy helpers :/

laffter

I'm sure there's a helper reading this that thinks he's the greatest helper that ever worked for Brown. Let me assure you that you're not. You're a seasonal Pack Mule. That's it. You take packages from point A to point B. Most of the time we have to hold your hand and almost walk you to the doors because you never seem to be able to figure out which green door with the yellow frame that I'm pointing to, which also happens to be the only green door with a yellow frame on the entire street. I know, shocking isn't it.

Every year you studs get on our package cars and act all hardcore for the first few days. Maybe even a week, but then the crying starts. First you cry about being sore. Then how much work we have, or how long you have to work. Then you want to know when you're getting paid, and we've only delivered two stops on the first Monday. Relax Captain Express. Lets finish the first day before we start investing your check on Wall Street. OK? Next you show-up always wearing something you were explicitly told not to, like some bright colored undershirt as if it's your other job to stand next to an open manhole cover. I guess Grandma won't fall in the hole as long as you're standing there in your triple bright neon orange t-shirt, but we honestly could care less about that. Most of us don't care if you show-up wearing just a sock on your junk as long as you're on time every day. We also appreciate it when you keep the bitching to a minimum, and you don't show-up smelling like hot balls. Your job is to show up when we tell you, do as you're instructed, be able to lift whatever I lift, and hustle. Stay off your phone, and don't walk to a stop like you're on Death Row. There should NEVER be an excuse for a driver to knock-off 2-3 stops to every one of yours. If that's the case you're too damn slow. Pick it up or beat it. I don't mind firing helpers and taking my chances with the next pick of the draw.

Next, your personal affairs do not interest me. I don't care if Honey Boo-Boo is home sick, and you need to leave early to get her chicken friend'ing soup. I don't care if every Tuesday you have get the hair on your :censored2: trimmed, or you can't find an friend'ing babysitter. Grow up kids. You want a job, then learn how to make it work. Get your :censored2: in order BEFORE you come to work, and leave the Excuse Manual at home. None of us buy it. We've heard it all before. We know why you had to call out on that coincidentally rainy day. You're a labia, we get it. Oh, it's Friday and at 3 PM you suddenly have cramps? Sure. Everyone loves to get done early on Friday, so how about you just finish the job so we can both go home at a decent hour? You know, it suddenly dawned on me that a few of you might be offended by this. Right now you're engaging your CAPS LOCK, and getting ready to "tell me how it is". Right. Cut the :censored2:. Those of you that run to [our] place on the web to bitch and moan about your drivers are the biggest labia majoras I know. We don't give a :censored2: if you think it's unfair that the stops aren't delivered equally. We're the quarterbacks, and this is our team. When you get your chance to earn my seat you can call the shots. Until that time stuff it, do what you're told, or find a nice job more suitable for you like McDonald's. Supersize the Hell out my meal when I take my lunch, and say "Here ya go sir!" because you haven't earned the right to debate your position. Don't like it? Don't do it. If you're too wet behind the ears to have adult conversations with your driver(s) about the very :censored2: you come here to bitch about, then this job isn't for you. I'm sick of reading whinny posts from helpers that can't figure out their job is to run off stops. That's it Box Warriors. It's not rocket science!

I had a helper quit today on one of the busiest days ever because he wanted to go Christmas shopping. Yup, 3 hours in to our busy day this butt jockey tried to make-up some lame excuse that even Stevie Wonder could see through, and decided he just had to leave. Let me say that again, he left to go shopping, and now he doesn't have a job. Genius right? Already broke as balls he figured he just had to get to the Mall and spend money he doesn't have, and left me stuck, which is nothing new. Been doing this for two decades. I've seen these guys come and go. I can count on half of one hand how many were solid helpers. Every Peak we deal with these clowns. I tipped the Hell out of this guy every week. Even had $50 in a card for him today, but now it's just extra beer money. Glad he saved me $50, and because he left when he did I can thank him for the 3 hours of bonus I'll make just off the number of stops I had. Thanks dummy. /rant over

I understand that the majority of the above post is directed at the seasonals who come here to complain about their drivers.

However, if you refuse to believe that some drivers abuse the helper "program", then you're as blind as Stevie Wonder. However, rather than complaining here, where nobody can do anything about it, the helper should call his or her coordinator and see about a re-assignment. I'm sure they'd be interested to know who isn't working efficiently with their assigned helper.

Helpers are there to speed up the driver's work progress. Typically, you're right when you say that means taking a box from the truck to the door. Depending on the helpers abilities and DIAD knowledge, there are other ways to work together.

I find your post to be on par with the helper whining we see here. If your helper is useless, get rid of him. Do so until you find one that isn't defective. If you can't, then I guess you're flying solo, or find your own helper. That's really all anyone can do in the situation.

Marne Vet

I fired My helper Monday left him at a Dunkin N Donuts 10 miles from his car after he gave me a hard time about being on his phone and started to get hostile toward me... 20 year old punk that thinks he knows everything and didn't see the problem with texting or being on his phone every second of the day.

Haha! Gold. I've done that before, just not that far away. My area is a tight grid. At our furthest point he would have to walk 4 miles, maybe. I've fired helpers on the spot and told them to walk home. I'm not putting up with some a-hole kid/adult that doesn't want to listen, or tells me they can't lift 40 lbs. Seriously?! 40 lbs is cake. I had one girl bitching to me about how heavy everything was, and when I tried to hand her a 40 lbs package she told me she couldn't do it. "Get your :censored2:, and go. You're done. You've slowed me down all day, and now you can't even do what you said you could when they hired you! You live 7 blocks from here. Get moving." She was pretty mad, but friend her, so was I. Had to finish the day by myself but at least I was moving faster than without the dead weight. Like I said, 99% of helpers are worthless turds. The 1% we've been fortunate to have has been awesome.

phox1515

Haha! Gold. I've done that before, just not that far away. My area is a tight grid. At our furthest point he would have to walk 4 miles, maybe. I've fired helpers on the spot and told them to walk home. I'm not putting up with some a-hole kid/adult that doesn't want to listen, or tells me they can't lift 40 lbs. Seriously?! 40 lbs is cake. I had one girl bitching to me about how heavy everything was, and when I tried to hand her a 40 lbs package she told me she couldn't do it. "Get your :censored2:, and go. You're done. You've slowed me down all day, and now you can't even do what you said you could when they hired you! You live 7 blocks from here. Get moving." She was pretty mad, but friend her, so was I. Had to finish the day by myself but at least I was moving faster than without the dead weight. Like I said, 99% of helpers are worthless turds. The 1% we've been fortunate to have has been awesome.

I agree 40 lbs is a pretty easy amount... sadly my driver insist on helping me with stuff more than 35 lbs hehe. After spending 10 months in americorps I have learned to deal with the :censored2: your bosses can give you and also gained a much better work ethic than I ever had. one of my team mates dad's had a saying... "people are going to give you bull :censored2: all your life, it's your choice how much of it you decide to shovel"

I have to wonder if maybe some of these bad helpers are a regional thing, I have met 4-5 helpers and heard nothing but good things (I have heard some bad stories from driver but only a couple), one of them does pre load every morning before doing his helper job and then does the helper job, full shift no complaints... I tried pre load before a helper shift... not for me, I can do one but not both on same day.

Shadow81

I had nothing but praise from my driver. He wanted me back next year but that isn't going to happen. The fill in was back on Tuesday and got pissed when one of the girls gave me cash and nothing to him since he wasn't X. He insisted it was his and starts grabbing at me and punched me in the side of the head in the parking lot. I ended up cracking him across the face with my DIAD and broke his glasses and gave him a small cut on his cheek. He backed off and called his supervisor who came out and told me I needed to leave. I had a great time helping you drivers but some of you really need to get over yourselves. I do have to say though I have a lot more respect for what you do and won't be pissed when my packages aren't here earlier enough anymore.