Motor for canoe

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
so I really need to explain that??? I can.

So I’ve been call a stepper
Not to be confused with a Schlepper
Twice as good as a half-stepper
Not to dodge like the side stepper
Born in the land of the two stepper
I can get things done in a step or two,
That makes me a stepper
Very good!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I broke that phrase out at work this morning when I took the day off. Cover driver was moaning about having to work in the rain all day, I said "Shoot, it won't be a problem for a young stepper like you!".

over9five

Staff member
Well, I complied with the law. Went down to the DOR, and they actually gave me an exemption from paying tax on the canoe (seeing it's 25 years old and I paid it 25 years ago!). Then went next door to the Environmental Police and registered it.
Registering a canoe! Only in Massachusetts!!!
How's my stenciling look?

CanoeID.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Darn, I was not done with that post!

3/8" carriage bolts hold the two 2x2 pieces of oak together with washers, lock washers, and wing nuts.

I cheaped out on the 2x4 that the motor clamps to. I wanted oak here too, but Home Depot only had 8 footers. Too expensive when I only needed 8 inches! 5 1/2" lag screws hold a PT pine 2x4 (that I had in the garage) to the 2x2.
If anyone has a 2x4 piece of oak or ash, send it over!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Darn, I was not done with that post!

3/8" carriage bolts hold the two 2x2 pieces of oak together with washers, lock washers, and wing nuts.

I cheaped out on the 2x4 that the motor clamps to. I wanted oak here too, but Home Depot only had 8 footers. Too expensive when I only needed 8 inches! 5 1/2" lag screws hold a PT pine 2x4 (that I had in the garage) to the 2x2.
If anyone has a 2x4 piece of oak or ash, send it over!

Next time ask them if they have any scraps in the back. Quite a few customers come in and ask them to cut the stock to length and leave the scraps behind.

over9five

Staff member
Looks good Over. What keeps it from twisting and falling off those rails if the propellor hits a submerged stump or something?

Hmmm, the bottom of the prop assembly is made to ride over things. The motor will easily tilt forward if the prop hits something. It also has side....wings..... to divert weeds.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Hmmm, the bottom of the prop assembly is made to ride over things. The motor will easily tilt forward if the prop hits something. It also has side....wings..... to divert weeds.

Not sure if I communicated that very well. So I'll make it 100x more confusing by adding a colorful picture with lots of unnecessary cool arrows and stuff. :happy-very:

Yellow Arrow: Any force exerted by hitting something (stump, body, large sea mammals) underwater.

Blue Donut: Mmmm... donuts. Pivot point.

Red Arrow: Resulting force.

Green Arrow: If it is a problem, can you put a stop here? Bolt or stop block permanantly attached to canoe?

I respectfully ask these questions from the comfort of my lawn chair while I drink your beer and watch you work. :wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not sure if I communicated that very well. So I'll make it 100x more confusing by adding a colorful picture with lots of unnecessary cool arrows and stuff. :happy-very:

Yellow Arrow: Any force exerted by hitting something (stump, body, large sea mammals) underwater.

Green Arrow: If it is a problem, can you put a stop here? Bolt or stop block permanantly attached to canoe?

I respectfully ask these questions from the comfort of my lawn chair while I drink your beer and watch you work. :wink2:
Hey Dizzee, Can I pull up my lawn chair and ice chest. We could share pointers, I actually understand what you are getting at. I bring cheap beer but it is still beer. For Ovah, it's beyah!:happy-very:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As a backup, my redneck engineering degree says a safety rope or chain would keep the motor from sinking to the bottom of the body of water you are traversing in case of a major collision with an unseen underwater object. This somewhat questionable brilliant idea came to me after drinking more than one cold barley pop.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As a backup, my redneck engineering degree says a safety rope or chain would keep the motor from sinking to the bottom of the body of water you are traversing in case of a major collision with an unseen underwater object. This somewhat questionable brilliant idea came to me after drinking more than one cold barley pop.
Scratch, I think that is a superb idea. Credit goes to barley engineering. LMAO

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Hey Dizzee, Can I pull up my lawn chair and ice chest. We could share pointers, I actually understand what you are getting at. I bring cheap beer but it is still beer. For Ovah, it's beyah!:happy-very:

Sure, I think Over would like more beer induced stupervision. :happy-very:

Or one of those 200lb. magnets on a rope. Then technically, it would be a fishing trip. :wink2:

over9five

Staff member

Well the yellow forcer would be much lower and the motor would tilt to let the prop ride over the stump:

Canoemount1003.jpg

No stumps were injured in this demonstration.

over9five

Staff member

I have also considered this! Great minds etc etc.

Temporarily, I will secure it to the canoe handle with this industrial strength cable tie:

Canoemount1004.jpg