Music for work!

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I have been doing lots of Scan Print Applying in the unload lately. More often than not I am listening to music.
Aside from adjusting the ear buds the only trouble they seem to cause me is my supervisors insisting we have only one ear piece in at all times.
I have had my building supervisor tell me that two is fine for unload but wearing them elsewhere , he claims, could get him fired...
That madness aside, I couldn't deal with work for long periods without some kind of tunes. Lots of co-workers use speakers linked with their phones and I can hear them blasting all around the place.
I'm interested in how the culture of music is or is not tolerated. One UPSer told me that it was against the rules to plug any radio or device into the building, but she also mentioned that this was not always the case.
Digressing.
Metal music, dance and anything energy filled makes a better work day for me, its just how I operate. I can drone out into my own little world and still make the numbers and perform within their acceptable parameters...
Well, acceptable that is until I hear my supervisor say that my energetic behavior can see him ousted. That's just ponderous to me. I've seen SUPS rise and fall and this one has seen a whole year so far.
He's not a bad SUP, just sometimes overly paranoid that I will get him into trouble. Is it because of the whole union thing? So package handlers and drivers are union...but not the rest...right?
Left turn...NASCAR over here.
The only two smartphones I've ever owned cracked at work because I was listening to music. I've spent lots of money on cruddy mp3 players and their equally faulty less enduring ear-buds.
The point I'm getting at here is the conflict between our world of music and our world at work, its a World of Workcraft, and we are the pawns in this game, make no mistake.
But just how much of our freedom to tune-out will be tolerated by the overseers?
Just do what he says. One ear is better than no ears. I listen to Rovers Morning glory and the Kidd Chris show. That is 6 hours of great entertainment, and if someone says I can only use one ear piece, then I'll only use one ear piece.

arice11

Great responses so far.
So what do you listen to at work?
Do you like to change it up every day or by the week?
Have you ritualized the preparation, charging, loading songs?
I can listen to Latin Salsa, Flamenco and then listen to Electronic dance music, then black Norwegian metal to return to some punk rock and even classic.

9.5er

I never used any type of radio while I was part time. I just BS with my coworkers. Since I've been full time I started with a FM radio. It ate too many batteries so I went to a plug in speaker for my ipod. Now I'm using a Bluetooth speaker with ipod. Works great for me.

9.5er

Great responses so far.
I don't even know how many songs I have on my ipod. Over 2000 I guess. It is all rock. Some classic, some hard, even a little punk. I have my favorite 150 or so songs on constant shuffle while working. I only want to hear the stuff that makes me get up and go. Mostly Foo Fighters, Sevendust, Metallica, Crossfade, 10 years, Avenged sevenfold.
I'll listen to the other stuff on the weekend while working in the garage or mowing the lawn.

Great responses so far.
Have you ritualized the preparation, charging, loading songs?
I can listen to Latin Salsa, Flamenco and then listen to Electronic dance music, then black Norwegian metal to return to some punk rock and even classic.
Jim Rome show. 12 to 3. Stream it from tune in radio app. I have unlimited internet from AT&T. I'm grandfathered in.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
Never know what could come along and hurt or kill you if you've got both ears plugged and can't hear engines, dangerous items breaking open or falling/rolling, or a neighbor giving you a heads up that a stack is about to come down on you.

For me, wearing headphones on both ears during a sort would feel a lot like not wearing a seatbelt on the road.

lol... we got a guy, who is deaf, that does carwash/fuel/park

ArcherUTR

I used to a listen to a lot of hipster hip music but as of late, probably over blaming my special lady friend with the reality and doldrums of everyday household-chore living, not so much.

But mostly as I get older sadly I buy my maybe awesome stuff from Starbucks. Stuff I heard whispers of on NPR and sports talk radio..possibly 105.3 The Fan (a turn it on, leave it on kind of station)

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I used to think people looked silly with Bluetooth in their ears. Then I got one and then I got two because it makes my day go by so much better.
Bluetooths over both ears only way to roll. I listen to music in them all day but pick my spots where I actually have them playing music. Like if im delivering business or are in a higher traffic area, they don't really get any play. Got to pay attention in them type areas for real lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I used to a listen to a lot of hipster hip music, but as of late, probably over blaming my special lady friend with the reality and doldrums of everyday household-chore living not so much.

But mostly as I get older sadly I buy my maybe awesome stuff from Starbucks. Stuff I heard whispers of on NPR and sports talk radio..possibly 105.3 The Fan (a turn it on, leave it on kind of station)
Come on dude, you gotta find your time to get your thing in, cant be that lamo dude with absolutely no guy or self time without the old lady around. No fun man, that's boring, as lonf as your not doing anything completely totally moronic, she should be cool and understand. Glad my old lady don't sweat my diksack 24-7 like some guys like that, man that would totally blow, id be out in a hot minute dude. No point in living if you cant have time to yourself once in a while, its healthy for your mind and soul brother lol.