Must I Work on My Day Off?

MassWineGuy

Our senior manager told us that for peak we'd all be working six days a week. Now, I might want to do that, but by choice, not requirement. I know the operational needs rationale, but can they force me to work on my day off?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our senior manager told us that for peak we'd all be working six days a week. Now, I might want to do that, but by choice, not requirement. I know the operational needs rationale, but can they force me to work on my day off?

Unless policy has been changed recently, no. Ask someone to show you how to find the Policy manual in the computer to verify whether it's been changed or not, and print it to keep for your own records. FedEx is NOT going to volunteer any of that kind of info. You have to look for it yourself.

Learn your rights. There is no Union steward to fight for you. You WILL get screwed if you don't.

MechLift

Our station has been doing that for over two months. I guess the hoards of applications did not come in when the company effectively cut its work force in half by taking away the pickup side of full-timers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Our station has been doing that for over two months. I guess the hoards of applications did not come in when the company effectively cut its work force in half by taking away the pickup side of full-timers.
That because the bad news about working at FedEx has gotten around. They seem to forget that bad news travels fast.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That because the bad news about working at FedEx has gotten around. They seem to forget that bad news travels fast.

And yet, people still keep posting on those jobs websites about what a great place FedEx is to work. I want to work at their stations or make the bonus FedEx is paying them to post their positive comments.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And yet, people still keep posting on those jobs websites about what a great place FedEx is to work. I want to work at their stations or make the bonus FedEx is paying them to post their positive comments.
Truth is their jobs really suck too but they're in denial or in the honeymoon phase just starting out. All courier jobs suck. Fred has seen to that.

Rhoderunner

As a matter of fact I do work for Express and I am permanent PT. I'll definitely look into this.
PT can not be forced to work extra hours. You can be held hostage for up to 6 hours on a reg schld day and no more if you so choose. Many of our PTers choose this time of year to stay and make some serious cash and some others do their P1 and go home. Nice to have a choice.

MassWineGuy

I'm 60, and although I consider myself to be in excellent shape, I have no desire to work 10 hours a day doing this stuff. It's not that it's below me or anything like that. It would just be a little too much. After working three UPS peak seasons and now this job, let me say (again) that I have boundless, deep respect and undying admiration for delivery drivers anywhere. Packages don't just get there magically, regardless of what customers imagine.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm 60, and although I consider myself to be in excellent shape, I have no desire to work 10 hours a day doing this stuff. It's not that it's below me or anything like that. It would just be a little too much. After working three UPS peak seasons and now this job, let me say (again) that I have boundless, deep respect and undying admiration for delivery drivers anywhere. Packages don't just get there magically, regardless of what customers imagine.

You get used to the aches and pains. And for the worst ones, Advil is your friend.