Must I Work on My Day Off?

MassWineGuy

Ac hes and pains aren't things I plan to live with for at least another few years. So far, I'm ok. It's vital to know how to lift things and move properly.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ac hes and pains aren't things I plan to live with for at least another few years. So far, I'm ok. It's vital to know how to lift things and move properly.

My aches and pains have nothing to do with lifting improperly. After years of hopping in and out of a truck up to 100 times a day, sometimes more, your body starts protesting. Compound that with having a route with tons of 4 story apartments (no elevator), and a blown out knee from said apartments, it's slow moving when I first stand up after sitting for a while. And I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm fortunate that I've never hurt my back in all my years, because I knew as a single mom I couldn't afford to be out on WC, so I was always very careful.

Ask anyone at FedEx who has been around more than 10 years about their aches and pains. Trust me, you will be hard pressed to find more than a handful without any. Hopefully, starting out at your age, you will be one of the fortunate ones too.

MassWineGuy

I guess I could live with an ache or two. I know how bad knees can suffer from getting in and out of the truck. So far I've only driven a van, which I don't like getting in or out of at all.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They're letters----how heavy can they be?
Facepalm_statue.jpg

Not funny.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And yet, people still keep posting on those jobs websites about what a great place FedEx is to work. I want to work at their stations or make the bonus FedEx is paying them to post their positive comments.

They post lies like that because they're on the FedEx payroll. Probably the same people who get on social media and downplay negative comments about FedEx service.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As a matter of fact I do work for Express and I am permanent PT. I'll definitely look into this.

You will be pressured to work your days off, even though you're not required to per policy. You will also be pressured to work all day long and made to feel you're a traitor or "not part of the team" if you don't cave-in. This is all very typical, especially during Peak, but year-round at locations which are short-staffed, which is almost everywhere.

You're new to this industry, so you'd better get used to management being in your face about doing more, even if it isn't "policy". It would be smart to recognize that policy is interpreted as management sees fit and that it applies to different people in different ways. Get on their :censored2: list, which not working your days off will quickly accomplish, and you'll see how quickly these "pleasant people" can turn on you.

You might even have to go to HR to have policy upheld, which will make you a target for elimination. Read P&P, and be prepared to cite the sections which pertain to PT status.

MassWineGuy

All good points, Mr. FX. But I'm very stubborn and have no guilt about taking my days off. In fact, it would be great if they canned me for taking my day off because then I could sue them and get a lot more money.

So far I've not even been assigned a regular day off (other than Sundays, of course). I'm still learning the route, but if they want me to, indeed, do my best or to do more, I'll need time off. Can't be a team player if I fall asleep at the wheel. If they turn nasty, I don't mind walking away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All good points, Mr. FX. But I'm very stubborn and have no guilt about taking my days off. In fact, it would be great if they canned me for taking my day off because then I could sue them and get a lot more money.

So far I've not even been assigned a regular day off (other than Sundays, of course). I'm still learning the route, but if they want me to, indeed, do my best or to do more, I'll need time off. Can't be a team player if I fall asleep at the wheel. If they turn nasty, I don't mind walking away.

Be prepared to stand on policy then. Good luck with that, and better luck with suing them.

Nolimitz

You should have stayed at UPS. Round here everyone works 6 day weeks starting the day after Thanksgiving. Pt'ers included. Find a good lawyer or start walking. You're not long with FedEx.