Must I Work on My Day Off?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My aches and pains have nothing to do with lifting improperly. After years of hopping in and out of a truck up to 100 times a day, sometimes more, your body starts protesting. Compound that with having a route with tons of 4 story apartments (no elevator), and a blown out knee from said apartments, it's slow moving when I first stand up after sitting for a while. And I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm fortunate that I've never hurt my back in all my years, because I knew as a single mom I couldn't afford to be out on WC, so I was always very careful.

Ask anyone at FedEx who has been around more than 10 years about their aches and pains. Trust me, you will be hard pressed to find more than a handful without any. Hopefully, starting out at your age, you will be one of the fortunate ones too.

Yep. Repetitive stress injuries are an integral part of the job. That's why you don't see a lot of older UPS drivers or career FedEx drivers. We hire lots of older couriers now, but they are new to the business. Knees, backs, shoudlers and other body parts aren't designed for constant pounding.

Oh, and when you finally require corrective action, FedEx will gladly show you the door if they can. Let's say you need a rotator cuff operation, which has a long recovery period. Chances are good that you can't rehab in 90 days, so you end up getting displaced unless you can use your vacation days to add to your recovery time. They'd prefer to just get rid of you.

MassWineGuy

You should have stayed at UPS. Round here everyone works 6 day weeks starting the day after Thanksgiving. Pt'ers included. Find a good lawyer or start walking. You're not long with FedEx.

Well, then that'll be how it is. At least I'll get unemployment pay because the company will have violated its own policy.

I had no option to stay at UPS. I was a seasonal employee.

Dave, I'm sorry you are such a bitter, miserable and unhappy person. As I've said, but you seem incapable of remembering, I always got positive rehires at UPS and never had problems. They did not hire me again as a seasonal driver. Perhaps I wasn't meeting whatever standard they had. Perhaps it was something else. They never told me, even when asked. It's impossible to please everyone, especially you.

I'm thankful that the number of UPS people like you, who look down on drivers at other companies, is very small. You want to believe that you're better? Go for it. Your words and attitiude clearly show otherwise. UPS could use fewer people like you. I've never wished a career-ending injury on anyone, but I may be ready to make an exception for you.

Last edited:

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Ya have to understand, MWGuy - Dave is soaring at his highest when he's bitter, miserable and unhappy. It's what makes him....well,....happy!

mitchel

I know I'm in the minority here, but i accept/know that going into peak means i am working my days off. Thats how its always been, so it shouldn't be a surprise. If you are part time , this dosnt apply to you, you can say no

MassWineGuy

I am part time and definitely want to say no most of the time. But sure, the extra money earned working a day off is nice, as well.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know I'm in the minority here, but i accept/know that going into peak means i am working my days off. Thats how its always been, so it shouldn't be a surprise. If you are part time , this dosnt apply to you, you can say no

I agree with you and realize it comes with the job. What I DON'T agree with is being forced to work the third Saturday, possibly Sunday the 21st and Christmas Day. I'll do the other Saturday, but I'll be damned if I work Sunday or Christmas. My child is more important to me than anyone else's. Order your crap early, problem solved.

MassWineGuy

For example, I offered to work on Sunday 12/21. After all, I'm a Jewish kid from Queens. Christmas Day? No problem. The key thing is that this is my choice.

Express Courier

You'd be better off in thew long run if you broke your ankle instead of spraining it. The bone would heal completely, while a sprain would always haunt you. But I hope nothing happens.
That would probably get me displaced though. Not sure how long people miss with a broken ankle but seems like it might be a while.

!Retired!

I agree with you and realize it comes with the job. What I DON'T agree with is being forced to work the third Saturday, possibly Sunday the 21st and Christmas Day. I'll do the other Saturday, but I'll be damned if I work Sunday or Christmas. My child is more important to me than anyone else's. Order your crap early, problem solved.
My station will not let us work 7 straight days. I have volunteered for Christmas Day in the past. But, only when my stepkids are at their dads and I would have been home before my wife woke up. I always got outbid.
For example, I offered to work on Sunday 12/21. After all, I'm a Jewish kid from Queens. Christmas Day? No problem. The key thing is that this is my choice.
I've had enough seniority to get Saturday's in the past. Though, working the 21st wouldn't be a problem. Mass....check your PM's.

dezguy

That would probably get me displaced though. Not sure how long people miss with a broken ankle but seems like it might be a while.
I don't get this. I know of a guy who was off for close to 2 years with an injury. He was too injured to do his route but good enough to go play golf everyday and have tape ball fights in the warehouse with a senior courier. After close to 2 years of this, they finally said if he wasn't back by x date he would lose his route. Of course a miracle happened and his condition improved in under a week, allowing him to return to his route.

Express Courier

I don't get this. I know of a guy who was off for close to 2 years with an injury. He was too injured to do his route but good enough to go play golf everyday and have tape ball fights in the warehouse with a senior courier. After close to 2 years of this, they finally said if he wasn't back by x date he would lose his route. Of course a miracle happened and his condition improved in under a week, allowing him to return to his route.
Well obviously that dude is probably well liked by the senior. Isn't it lovely how that works.