My 2010 Press Release

705red

Browncafe Steward
But your union protects the ones that aren't worth a damn. Can you imagine what the relationship between UPS and IBT would be like if you cut the bad seeds loose. Everyone would get two turkeys a year.
Who decides if the employees are not worth a dam? How do you decide if they are not worth a dam?

We have a contract in place and if these employees violate it they could be terminated. The union protects the contract, we have to take personal feelings out of the mix. Was the contract violated?

Please explain what makes an employee a bad seed.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The union is alot like the catholic church, they don't care what's going on, just as long as when they pass the basket around people are filling it up.
Your post last night said you where done bashing the union, now this post this morning and you are bashing the union again.

Mr. Multiple personalities which way are you going?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Management bad seeds are different. Mistakes are made everyday. Management makes mistakes everyday. Small mistakes by management are no different than a union employee getting a misload. I am not saying to hang those guys. When a management person makes a crucial mistake, the company does not back or protect them. If a management person comes in late or no call no shows repeatedly they are shown the door or the will get demoted. If a union person does it, you give them multiple chances and then when you terminate them, it gets grieved and then to arbitration. Why protect these people. Eventually they get their job back. If the union would take a stance against bad employees the company would be very grateful in return. The problem is if you got rid of the bad seeds it would create more time for the part time employees, and open up some new opportunities for people. Your union sees it as a loss of union dues. So who does the union really care about. The hardworking peolple of the union, or their bank accounts.

Dear UPSSOCKS,
The true purpose of discipline is to correct and restore. I agree, all UPS workers who refuse to do their jobs in the manner set forth by UPS should be disciplined in the proper manner specific to their position in the company. Management are required to set the example by their actions at UPS. Unions should not protect incorrigible workers. Unions should strive to represent the best of the best.

Sincerely,
I

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dear UPSSOCKS,
The true purpose of discipline is to correct and restore. I agree, all UPS workers who refuse to do their jobs in the manner set forth by UPS should be disciplined in the proper manner specific to their position in the company. Management are required to set the example by their actions at UPS. Unions should not protect incorrigible workers. Unions should strive to represent the best of the best.

Sincerely,
I

What do you mean set forth? You mean negotiated with the Teamsters don't you?

A fair days work for a fair days pay. Working at UPS is like a marathon,you pace yourself for the 25, 30 years, or you run your butt in to the ground and your body is done in about 12 to 15 years.

UPSSOCKS

Your post last night said you where done bashing the union, now this post this morning and you are bashing the union again.

Mr. Multiple personalities which way are you going?

Easy there killer, You know the bad seeds I am talking about. Do you know how hard it is to deal with every union employee that has violated the contract? If we fired everyone that violated the contract, we wouldn't have anyone left. One minute late everyday is violating the contract. Should we fire someone for being one minute late everyday? I am talking about the lazy workers that take and take and take.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But your union protects the ones that aren't worth a damn. Can you imagine what the relationship between UPS and IBT would be like if you cut the bad seeds loose. Everyone would get two turkeys a year

socks

first, there is a goodness in each one of us. sometimes its hard to see past all the other crap. its good you let yours come to the surface, regardless of how short the time.

next, let me address the statement above. what, the company does not protect the ones that are not worth a damn? why should the union rid itself of the problem children when the company is not interested either?

next, might i also clarify what the union does for the members. we represent them. much like a lawyer, we have to represent every one, to the best of our abilities, regardless of whether we want to, agree with the position, etc. it is our legal mandate to defend even the drop dead guilty scumbags that really have no business working for a company like ups.

to do anything less would leave the union and the company open for further legal action. im sure you already understand that, but in your passion, forgot.

The union is alot like the catholic church, they don't care what's going on, just as long as when they pass the basket around people are filling it up.
ah, another generalization that tries to be funny and misses its mark. while your point about the union and its activities are noted and on the mark, the catholic church is quite a bit different. while i disagree with their religious views, they do reach out and provide quite a bit of help to a lot of areas that need it.

best

d

UPSSOCKS

I should of been specfic. I am done bashing union employees as a whole. All union employees are not bad. I will never quit bashing the concept of the union and its actions....

Integrity

Binge Poster
What do you mean set forth? You mean negotiated with the Teamsters don't you?

Dear 705red,

What I mean is that all UPS employees have an obligation to seek to adhere to the UPS Charter, the UPS Code Of Business Conduct and the UPS Policy Book. We all have an obligation to do this.

The UPS Policy Book clearly states all of our obligations in the area of Labor Union Representatives and the collective bargaining agreements. This can be found of Page 24 of the current Policy Book, but it basically states that it is all UPS employees responsiblity to fulfill the terms of all collective bargaining agreements.

No where does it say we are to make it common practice to see how much we can get away with without a grievance. This does seem to be the status quo.

Check out the above reference and draw you own conclusion.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I will never quit bashing the concept of the union and its actions
why bash the concept? if it was so bad, why did casey ask them in?

that being said, the concept and the initial reason for unions has long past. the gooberment has seen to it that employees that are not justly treated can sue. like overtime for hours worked past 40, child labor laws, and the list goes on and on. unions were responsible for those actions to be taken.

what they have now become is a different story.

d

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I believe that one of the hardest parts of being in the union is the notion that we all created equally. Its a misnomer to say that we are all treated equally, we are NOT. We have plenty of BAD seeds at UPS at all levels and in all functions. Regardless of your title you should be held to some standards and if you cant meet them you should be shown the door. As far as the 5% rule, Ive always heard the 80 20 rule. You spend 80% of your time managing the 20% of the knuckle heads. As a dues paying member of the teamsters I wish that we could wash out the ones that needed to be, opening the door for those who are more deserving. As far as criteria, we all know you the ***** birds are. Management as well should be held to standards that if not met would result in demotion or termination. The contract is binding contract agreed upon by both the rank and file and management, thus if management does not meet their obligations punishment should be the result.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
contract is binding contract agreed upon by both the rank and file and management, thus if management does not meet their obligations punishment should be the result.
that statement is something that i have found grossly unfair about the contract.

management violates the contract knowing that 95% of the time they wont get caught, and with the other 5%, many times it will not get filed on. but the worst they will have to do is put out some cash, so in a lot of cases, the cash saved pays for the cash paid out 100 fold. for ups, violating the contract is money in the bank.

now, let an hourly violate part of the contract, and he can lose his job.

and this contract is supposed to be fair to both parties? wonder if socks or any other sup would authorize another sup to go out delivering packages knowing that if he gets caught, he will lose his job?

and socks thinks the union is walking all over the company?

d

UPSSOCKS

that statement is something that i have found grossly unfair about the contract.

management violates the contract knowing that 95% of the time they wont get caught, and with the other 5%, many times it will not get filed on. but the worst they will have to do is put out some cash, so in a lot of cases, the cash saved pays for the cash paid out 100 fold. for ups, violating the contract is money in the bank.

Are you saying that it is more productive when management does the work.

and this contract is supposed to be fair to both parties? wonder if socks or any other sup would authorize another sup to go out delivering packages knowing that if he gets caught, he will lose his job?

I'm not proud of it but I have sent sups out to deliver. Never have been caught. We would of paid the highest seniority if a grievance would have been filed....

d

I don't think the union walks all over the company at all. I think they try to, and the result is more management. We have to hire more part time sups to police what is going on. 99% of the time the part time sup is involved in the hooplah that's going on. It's a neverending battle that should of never started. The fact is we shouldn't need all these part time sups running around. The workforce should do the job correctly without having to be babysitted.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The Union doesn't protect it's members at UPS for monetary reasons. In fact it is worth more money to the them when an employee is fired and replaced. The new guy has to pay an initiation fee. The union represents all equally because they are duty bound to enforce the parameters of the contract. As was stated earlier, to not do so would put both organizations at an increased liability.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Originally Posted by dannyboy

Are you saying that it is more productive when management does the work.

in a way. if you had the correct number of management, it would be too costly in lost production for you to send someone out to make service, you would call in an air driver and pay him drivers wages, or what ever your contract stipulates. the way it is, you have an over abundance of sups that makes their time not really worth that much, hence, you feel like you need to take the cheaper way out and make management run the packages. in a properly staffed operation, your manager would be to costly to send out.

now, with that in mind, when you are caught, you almost gladly pay the grievance for say an hour, because you know for every hour you pay, there are literally hundreds of hours worth that you dont pay.

I'm not proud of it but I have sent sups out to deliver. Never have been caught. We would of paid the highest seniority if a grievance would have been filed....

ok, you feel bad about it. but the behavior does not change. why? you know you are violating the contract, a contract ups, your employer agreed to abide by. but yet you continue to do so. and the big thing in your statement speaks volumes "Never have been caught." see, with ups, its not that what you are doing is right or wrong, its that you have not been caught doing it.

d
im not picking on you really, just stating my observations. at ups management, officially we honor the contract. but behind the scenes, off the record, breaking the contract with the teamsters is a game, one where getting caught is the only time you lose the game. its not that you have prostituted your integrity for the sake of making your numbers look better, its that you got caught.

and the vast majority of managers will tell you, its not that they see violation of the contract a bad thing, only when they get caught.

but yet an employee stealing is a thief, regardless of if he gets caught or not.

and you wonder why employees see the double standard and you dont.

best

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
im not picking on you really, just stating my observations. at ups management, officially we honor the contract. but behind the scenes, off the record, breaking the contract with the teamsters is a game, one where getting caught is the only time you lose the game. its not that you have prostituted your integrity for the sake of making your numbers look better, its that you got caught.

and the vast majority of managers will tell you, its not that they see violation of the contract a bad thing, only when they get caught.

but yet an employee stealing is a thief, regardless of if he gets caught or not.

and you wonder why employees see the double standard and you dont.

best

d

Dear dannyboy,
I have made the same observations as you for far too long. The current UPS Policy Book is crystal clear as to what is the right way and the wrong way to handle Labor Union Representatives and the collective bargaining aggreements. Anyone who has one can reference this topic on page 24. We are all required to follow UPS Policy whether we agree with it or not.

Sincerely,
I

unionman

Not the stork. As everyone knows the personality I portray on here is one that everyone hates. I take things to the extreme and stereotype the Teamsters. To be honest in my time at UPS I have met thousands of people, some good, and some bad. I have had so many employees, all of which I know by their first name, by the way. Most of them were good people just trying to get by and provide for their families, and for that I need to stop the teamster, as a group, bashing. There has always been that small percent though, that always thought UPS owed them something. There has always been that small percent that took pride in giving management a hard time. I see and hear union employees pick on supervisors that are young enough to be their children. I see grown men laughing and mocking management when things go wrong at work. Yet union workers still want, want, and want. If someone wanted something from me, I wouldn’t give it to them unless they cared about me. If something happened at work, like a belt ripping, how many people would rush to the damaged belt that transports the packages that keep you employed to help, and how many of you would sit back and laugh. Sometimes I think that because UPS is mostly part time help that people are just immature and our workforce is immature because, the mature people have full time real jobs. Another part of me thinks that there is a greater good in every person. The union is a great thing to have and at times I wished I had one. Remember one thing though, if the doors close at UPS tomorrow, your union wouldn’t be any worth to you for long. So when you act, ask yourself if you’re doing the right thing. Ask yourself if the supervisor that was doing bargaining work for five minutes is worth a grievance or a simple one on one talk with, man to man.

The other thing, when I found out about the turkeys I was devastated. Now obviously I couldn’t buy everyone a turkey but I put out a nice spread out of my own pocket for all my employees. Management and Union sat together and ate as much food as they could in 15 minutes. It was like the pilgrims and Indians. We worked things out and that night alone made the company a better place. I still will continue to target the “union heads” that are only in it for themselves. I still will continue to correct people I believe that are wrong. I would like to say to the good people of UPS, the people that care about the company and its future…… Thank You…
Im not buying it. What, are we suppose to all sing kum bah yah my lord now?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear dannyboy,
I have made the same observations as you for far too long. The current UPS Policy Book is crystal clear as to what is the right way and the wrong way to handle Labor Union Representatives and the collective bargaining aggreements. Anyone who has one can reference this topic on page 24. We are all required to follow UPS Policy whether we agree with it or not.

Sincerely,
I
see, this is what i am saying, first you dont have a clue as to what is going on, you dont even know common terms and slang used at ups, and now you claim
I have made the same observations as you for far too long

i dont get it.

there is only one explanation past being a fraud.......

ups has operations on other planets, and you are from one of those to see how they do things here.

d

Just_another_day_at_work

Wow,
I hate the Union and %92 of it's workforce but I am all about breaking rules to make the customers happy and yourself look better. I like you, put your resume in for management. Dishonesty is the foundation of this company. Managment is corrupt and the Teamsters are as crooked as the day is long. People will beat you down but the truth is everyone around you Management as well as Scum (hourly) have done something wrong. Find out what that is and blackmail them until you get your job back. Now Go!!!! May the wind be at your back and may god help you find dirt on everyone involved in your situation.
So what's up now? Does your boss reading your posts or you are going through late puberty?!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But your union protects the ones that aren't worth a damn....

And your management team promotes the ones that aren't worth a damn.

In any case, your statement is incorrect.

The union "protects" no one. Your company entered into a labor agreement that defines the process to be followed when disciplining an employee. The role of the union is merely to see that the process is followed.