My center manager changed my start time to make me look late

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The only time I've seen that language applied, is when employees (drivers) are

in the building prior to their start time and are given the green light to start.

Prior to that, is when half a preload shift called off before a holiday and the company

started calling in drivers early. I've never heard of a case where the company tried

to discipline someone for it.

They have never disciplined for it here, but they use that section to have drivers come in early for hazmat training, space and visibility training, the "previous" annual United Way rep giving the 20 minute speech, etc.

I didn't think I was wrong.

I can even remember you posted the Local #.

Never posted my Local number, but was very vocal during the Ohio Rider contract negotiations, along with the Master and Central. I'm sure there are a few that know who I am, including management that hangs around here, but I will never confirm or deny.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They have never disciplined for it here, but they use that section to have drivers come in early for hazmat training, space and visibility training, the "previous" annual United Way rep giving the 20 minute speech, etc.
Did any of them ever insist on being paid time and half, and have it count towards their eight hours for subsequent OT that day???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Did any of them ever insist on being paid time and half, and have it count towards their eight hours for subsequent OT that day???

Every one of them.

if you started a half hour early, and worked at least eight and a half hours, it didn't make a difference.

But, if you only worked 8 hours, but started a half hour early, you would be paid seven and a half hours at straight time and a half hour at time and a half.

RolloTony Brown Town

While this language is correct it is not what is being discussed here.

Start times are not set in stone and are adjusted as needed. 24 hours notice is required for start time changes of 1 hour or less while 72 hours notice is required for those changes of more than an hour so, yes, they can tell you at this morning's PCM (or via a notice taped to the DIAD charging rack) that tomorrow's start time has been changed.

it’s 24 hours notice to move starts times back. A weeks notices to move a start time later.

That’s what we did.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I think if your timecard was changed it shows who was logged in and did it.
In the DCS system a time card cannot be changed.

In the GTS system edits can be made but the login password would tell who made the changes...unless someone else knows your (management's) password.

Ask for the DCS Record.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

That’s true. Stewards are checking into that. But a few other drivers whose trucks are loaded at the back of the dock with me, come in later or around the same time as i do. So If that’s his excuse, then all of us had better been marked late. Because if it’s just me that he did it to...that’s a problem.
I’ve been late to work once in my entire career. There was an accident on a major highway about ten minutes from the building. I end up walking into the building with five other drivers who were late. center manager standing there and doesn’t say a word to any of them except me. Next day I’m in the office because I was late. Now keep in mind first and only time in my entire career at UPS. Not one other driver that I walked into the building with had a word said to them. Got a nice harassment grievance check from that one.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I’ve been late to work once in my entire career. There was an accident on a major highway about ten minutes from the building. I end up walking into the building with five other drivers who were late. center manager standing there and doesn’t say a word to any of them except me. Next day I’m in the office because I was late. Now keep in mind first and only time in my entire career at UPS. Not one other driver that I walked into the building with had a word said to them. Got a nice harassment grievance check from that one.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have been late, all due to unforseen accidents.

There was an accident on the highway that I went around. Well, there was also an accident that just happened on the detour around the highway accident. I got to the PCM 3 minutes late.

The new center manager stopped his PCM and told me, in front of all 55 drivers, that I would be getting marked down as late, and that if I had attendance issues, I would be getting a warning letter. I guess he was trying to flex his muscle and show everyone who was boss on his first day, in front of everybody.

I told him, in front of these same 55 drivers, that he should give me a warning letter. Not for being late, but for not calling in 1 hour ahead of time if I was not going to be working today. I said a late and an absence basically counts the same on my attendance record. He didn't get it at first. He had a puzzled look on his face. After a few moments when he realized what I meant, and that expression on his face changed, I waved at him and walked out the door.

Before I got to my car in the parking lot, a Sup came running out to me begging me to come back and run my route and that the center manager would not mark me as late, but would like to see me in his office. When I got to his office, the center manager said that he would not mark me as late, but did not like the way I "called him out" during the PCM. He said he was going to get the Steward and have a little meeting before I ran my route. I told him that he didn't have to page the Steward to come to the office, because he was looking at him.

We got along pretty good for the next 2 years, until he was shipped somewhere else.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
On Friday I walked by my manager. He looked at me & says I’m late. I said nope my start time on my board says 9:20a. He then said I’m lying, so I get my board & show him. He look confused & makes excuses...but then I tell him to apologize. After trying to avoid apologizing for a few minutes...he does. I logged into my UPSers yesterday...and what do you know!?! It now mysteriously shows me as late. I’m on vacation this week but talked to my stewards this morning, and they are looking into it. Unbelievable!!! This has to be some type of integrity issue! :

Everytime a change is made in the records, there is a log of whoever changed it. Get him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
OP: What start time was announced during the PCM for the previous day? The start time in the DIAD may not always be correct.
Start time announced at PCM. I’ve been here 15 years and I’ve heard start times announced at a PCM maybe a handful of times. Always the last week of peak.

El Correcto

god is dead
You get paid for harassment grievances??

Gaintain

So my steward set me this. A picture of My time sheet that shows my manager (or someone) changed my start time to 9:09a...I minute earlier then my start time. He did this to make me look late on my pittsburgh. Who has a 9:09a start time!?! Lol. Really hoping this type of tampering/integrity can get this idiot out my Center!

Attachments

• 687F57C6-1F85-4C7F-BA00-C40A64F384D3.jpeg
    687F57C6-1F85-4C7F-BA00-C40A64F384D3.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 120

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So my steward set me this. A picture of My time sheet that shows my manager (or someone) changed my start time to 9:09a...I minute earlier then my start time. He did this to make me look late on my pittsburgh. Who has a 9:09a start time!?! Lol. Really hoping this type of tampering/integrity can get this idiot out my Center!

You may have a valid grievance.

Loxx

Part time loader; My start time gets changed daily lately with as little as 13 hours notice through text messages. This seems to be against the Union Western Region Supplemental Contract, Article 20, Section 3, part b.

"(b) Start times shall be posted on the prior Friday of the week for
which the starting times shall be effective. Start times shall be con-
sistent during the week except as provided in the provisions out-
lined in Article 21. If the Employer fails to post start times, employ-
ees shall not be disciplined for tardiness."

But it's happening all the time like it's not. Or they just don't care since none says anything. Which is it?

542thruNthru

Part time loader; My start time gets changed daily lately with as little as 13 hours notice through text messages. This seems to be against the Union Western Region Supplemental Contract, Article 20, Section 3, part b.

But it's happening all the time like it's not. Or they just don't care since none says anything. Which is it?

What jc or rider are you under other than western region?

Justaloader

Same thing happens in my center daily. I've never seen start times posted. The only way we know is to ask our Sup - what's the start time for tomorrow? It's interesting because our building, within the last week, has been getting slammed. Apparently another hub that was taking our hub loads wasn't able to finish in time, so they stopped sending our hub loads there, and instead have us handling them now. We are now doing more volume daily than we did during peak, and with roughly 50 less people (as we don't have seasonals in the building now). As a result of all this upheaval, the "start times" change like the wind changes direction. Usually, under normal circumstances, we start at 6:00 pm. Yesterday, start time was 4pm. Today, start time is 4:30 pm. (again, none of this is posted anywhere - only way to know is via word of mouth).

Never a dull moment.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Same thing happens in my center daily. I've never seen start times posted. The only way we know is to ask our Sup - what's the start time for tomorrow? It's interesting because our building, within the last week, has been getting slammed. Apparently another hub that was taking our hub loads wasn't able to finish in time, so they stopped sending our hub loads there, and instead have us handling them now. We are now doing more volume daily than we did during peak, and with roughly 50 less people (as we don't have seasonals in the building now). As a result of all this upheaval, the "start times" change like the wind changes direction. Usually, under normal circumstances, we start at 6:00 pm. Yesterday, start time was 4pm. Today, start time is 4:30 pm. (again, none of this is posted anywhere - only way to know is via word of mouth).

Never a dull moment.
It's in the contract that start times are to be posted. If they are not, no discipline can be given for tardiness.