My dog is hammered!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We got a new dog back in March, her name is Molly and she is a 7 yr old Beagle.

We learned something new about Molly today, and that is that she is absolutely terrified of fireworks. Early this afternoon, the jackass neighbor that lives behind us started lighting off some of those M-80's that are so loud they rattle the windows. They are illegal in Oregon, but perfectly legal to buy from the fireworks stands up in Washington only 45 minutes north of here so pretty much everybody has the damn things anyway. Our other two dogs have never had a problem with fireworks at all, but when those M-80's went off poor Molly panicked and started whining and cowering and shivering and trying to hide behind the couch. Our vetrinarians office was closed for the holiday but fortunately he happened to be in there on an emergency call, so when I explained the situation he let me come down and pick up a bottle of Valium for her. I gave her 20 milligrams a little while ago, and even with the M-80's and bottle rockets going off like crazy outside she is currently sound asleep, lying flat on her back and snoring, with her toungue hanging out and a little puddle of drool forming on her pillow. That Valium must be pretty good stuff!

You should cuddle her and scratch her tummy. My dog Eve who died late last year was real scared on forth July every year. We would drug her up and she was so cute and helpless I would just hold her. I miss her

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We got a new dog back in March, her name is Molly and she is a 7 yr old Beagle.

We learned something new about Molly today, and that is that she is absolutely terrified of fireworks. Early this afternoon, the jackass neighbor that lives behind us started lighting off some of those M-80's that are so loud they rattle the windows. They are illegal in Oregon, but perfectly legal to buy from the fireworks stands up in Washington only 45 minutes north of here so pretty much everybody has the damn things anyway. Our other two dogs have never had a problem with fireworks at all, but when those M-80's went off poor Molly panicked and started whining and cowering and shivering and trying to hide behind the couch. Our vetrinarians office was closed for the holiday but fortunately he happened to be in there on an emergency call, so when I explained the situation he let me come down and pick up a bottle of Valium for her. I gave her 20 milligrams a little while ago, and even with the M-80's and bottle rockets going off like crazy outside she is currently sound asleep, lying flat on her back and snoring, with her toungue hanging out and a little puddle of drool forming on her pillow. That Valium must be pretty good stuff!

My brother in law has the same problem. Unfortunately from battle in Afghanistan.

I love fireworks but totally understand to those guys it sounds just like mortar shells.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My dog hates fireworks and is scared to death of riding in a car. He likes to jump into the car like he wants to go with us, but then flips out and barks so loud he hurts my ears. I have thought about getting some doggie drugs from the vet so we could take him on a vacation, but we haven't done it yet.

soberups

Right now it is almost 11:00 on a work night and the damn things are still going off like crazy. It would be one thing if it were a Friday or a Saturday night, but on a work night people really ought to knock that crap off no later than 10:00 in my opinion.

I would also like to see some sort of a dialogue on the effect that fireworks have not only on pets but, more importantly, our heroes who fought for us in Iraq or Afghanistan who are suffering from PTSD.

If it were up to me, Independence Day would be celebrated on the first Friday in July, regardless of the actual date it fell on. Each town would designate a particular area where fireworks would be allowed, and fire department personell would be on hand to deal with any injuries. Residential neighborhoods would be off limits to fireworks. I want to have fun and enjoy Independence Day as much as the next person, but it seems like every year they get louder and keep going later. At some point its no longer OK to be rattling windows and making deafening explosions at 11:00 in a residential neighborhood on a freaking work night.

soberups

My dog hates fireworks and is scared to death of riding in a car. He likes to jump into the car like he wants to go with us, but then flips out and barks so loud he hurts my ears. I have thought about getting some doggie drugs from the vet so we could take him on a vacation, but we haven't done it yet.

Benadryl works great on dogs, it calms them down and makes them drowsy and helps to prevent car sickness. Plus its cheap and you can buy it over the counter.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Benadryl works great on dogs, it calms them down and makes them drowsy and helps to prevent car sickness. Plus its cheap and you can buy it over the counter.

My daughter and son-in-law are going on an extended trip this weekend and they are bringing the dog. They will be going to the vet to see if there are any meds they can give him as he too does not tolerate long car rides. If this fails they will use Benadryl.

When the kids were young we would give them a little bit of Dimetapp before going on long car rides.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My dog tries to chew up bees, so we always have Benydryl on hand. Check on weight to do the right dosage.

I never heard one boom last night.......I was asleep before dark!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
My min pin is scared to death of fireworks & thunder storms. Its been a tough week for her. We've had a lot of both.

bluehdmc

I heard on the radio Wed morning that 4th of July is the day when more dogs get lost. They just run away from the fireworks. I had a girlfriend her dog would get in the bathtub on the 4th or if there was a thunderstorm.
I knew guys that came back from Vietnam, they used to hit the deck when a car backfired. I'm sure it's the same with people who served in Iraq or Afghanistan.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My baby fared well, she is used to it. Her on my lake, there is no need to go to a fireworks expo, the summer visitors and campers put them to shame.
She is jumpy at first, but now she just watches them.